PDA

View Full Version : Situtation in India for newbies

davesmith
29th Dec 2007, 10:25
Can anyone shed some light on the current situation in India in terms of recruitment. Are the days of hiring a newbie just out flying school with 300 TT over or long gone? :ouch:

From the rumour mills it seems that the DGCA is planning to let Indian nationals with an ICAO/FAA lisence and a SELF SPONSERED TR to fly in India without conversions. Is there any truth to this?

The media seems to think there is still a huge shortage of FO's, and students are still pouring into flight schools allover the world. Should they be preparing for a huge dissoppointment? Can someone in the know make an educated guess as to how many Trainee FO's are going to be recruited, in India in the next two years?

Any clarifications will be appriciated.:ok:

NGFellow
29th Dec 2007, 11:03
I think the 300 hr pilot still has opportunity but the competition is going to be stiff in the months and years to come.

Indian national Captain's are being allowed to fly on their FAA licenses for 2 years and have to convert by the end of that time.

Those completing training in the next 6 months still have a shot, the rest will have to take their chances with perhaps being unemployed for a while.
The shortage is for qualified Captains and not new F/O's.

vinayak
29th Dec 2007, 16:51
very true but there are just too many job hunters now. From my recent visit to air india office for the recent recruitment drive which has 15 openings there are about 1000 applicants. so......

picollo
29th Dec 2007, 20:47
Indian national Captain's are being allowed to fly on their FAA licenses for 2 years and have to convert by the end of that time.

NG fellow is the above statement true???
Are all carriers doing this or only a few???

thanks

Left Wing
30th Dec 2007, 04:31
Those completing training in the next 6 months still have a shot, the rest will have to take their chances with perhaps being unemployed for a while. bang on ! NG.....
FO positions are now highly contested, lot of guys coming in with TR on 320/NG's and Daddy's contacts.
Looks like by 2010 indian airline offices will be overloaded with 300 hr pilots....

A REPEAT OF THE 1990's 1000's of unemployed pilots...

DesiPilot
30th Dec 2007, 04:37
Looks like the tides are already turning. Earlier the airlines were not asking for any money for type rating as long as you sign a 5 year contract. Now Kingfisher is asking for Rs16 lacs (1.6 million INR approx US$40,000) for A320 type rating. Gone are the days when they were paying for everything. Of course rather than signing 5 year contract, newbees are signing only 2 year contract, none the less, it will cost them more money. I also heard that Jet airways have started charging again for their ATR and Boeing type ratings.

My suggestion, if you are in pipeline, get out of it as soon as possible and get your self a job. The market will turn just like it did in 90's. I was there and was unemployed for looooong time.

Passenger 07
30th Dec 2007, 06:40
Too many poorly trained Indian Newbies.... Most pay too much attention to the cost and not to the quality of training. Burden when Airlines have to send them in Re-Training at an advanced stage. TRTOs fed up by poorly trained cadets, this is the feedback we have.
I think Airlines will look more seriously to quality from now, so yes maybe a lot of newbies will stay on the tarmac.

Nevrekar
30th Dec 2007, 10:57
In reference to an earlier post by NG I know that at Spicejet we have 2 Indian Nationals who have US ATP's. They went to the States, got their B737 NG type ratings, came back and are now Capts at Spicejet. I believe NG is right in saying they have 2 years to get their Indian ATP's, but I cannot be sure of that.