PDA

View Full Version : Safe Working Conditions

antibiase
24th Jan 2001, 11:23
I would appreciate any info in regards to the foot wear worn by crew in other airlines around the world.
I am with MH and the female crew here wear slippers (open toe and without heel support)
on board the flights. It does complement their uniforms but I believe that such footwear does not conform to safety standards.
Please feel free to comment and make suggestions.

4 safety
24th Jan 2001, 11:54
I am quite surprised that an airline would allow their crew to use slippers while operating a flight.
You first need to check the airlines safety policy in regards applicable footwear.
If there is no such policy then the next best thing is to check with the local safety office of DOSH (Department of Occupational Safety and Health) for their specifications.
If none then I suppose you may want to refer this matter to your in house union for them to look into it.
You may just start your upper management personal jumping as this would definately involve some cost and being management, they would most likely to side step the issue.
If you think that this is such a safety hazard, do not back down. Go for it!!!

4 safety
24th Jan 2001, 11:59
You may also want to check as to how many crew in the past one year have suffered from feet problems.

Xenia
24th Jan 2001, 23:07
Oh dear! How do u manage to quick your trolleys? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
:) :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

euroboy
25th Jan 2001, 01:04
The slippers sound a bit unsafe to me. How do the girls manage the trolley`s, what about fire fighting prepairing the cabin for a crash landing -the foot is unprotected.
After jumping down the slide their feet are liable to be cut burnt etc... when trying to get away from the a/c.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 25 January 2001).]

CD
25th Jan 2001, 03:35
"Uniform Materials Affect Flight Attendant
Safety and Ability to Help Passengers
Evacuate Burning Aircraft

The primary duty of a flight attendant is to help passengers evacuate the aircraft in an emergency requiring evacuation. If a flight attendant is incapacitated, that duty cannot be accomplished. In an emergency, particularly one involving fire, the flight attendant’s uniform can affect his or her ability to help passengers evacuate an aircraft.

“Safety experts agree that in order to decrease the chance of sustaining burns, it is better to wear long sleeves and pants, than it is to wear short sleeves and short pants. In addition, [natural] fabrics such as wool and cotton are better than synthetic fabrics. Also, it is better to have low-heel shoes which are enclosed, and straps or laces are encouraged while sandals are discouraged.”"

Flight Safety Foundation - Cabin Crew Safety
http://www.flightsafety.org/ccs/ccs_mar_apr99.pdf