PDA

View Full Version : Cabin crew killed in Emergency

Gulf Babe
21st Nov 2000, 01:25
http://news.excite.com/news/r/news/news-airlines-death-dc

Skippy in Wonderland
21st Nov 2000, 11:22
My heart goes out to the F/A's family, friends and work collegues. I hope to understand this dredful accident some finer details come out, eg was an evacuation warranted - who initiated it...etc.
From what the media report says, it could have just been a warning malfunction... therefore an engineering issue. Surely on landing tech crew would have known what the real situation was.
Also sounds a bit picky, I know, but would the crew member not have been 'blown' out by the pressure rather than been sucked out in the absence of any type of vaccum???
Again my sympathy to any AA employees that knew the F/A that may read this. Meanwhile I hope more accurate details come to light.
Skippy

Mr Seatback 2
21st Nov 2000, 13:59
I can't imagine anything worse occurring...my condolences to the crew and the crewmember's family.

Like Skippy, I wonder whether or not an evacuation was warranted, given it was just a warning light and crew/pax could have easily testified to any flames coming from the defective engine. Guess we'll all find out in good time. Best not to pre-judge matters like these I guess.

Next Generation PSR
21st Nov 2000, 18:15
A sad and tragic accident, my sympathy to F/As family and everyone at AA.

Funny Flier
22nd Nov 2000, 00:15
Deepest sympathies to the flight attendants family and friends from all at easyJet http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Funny Flier (edited 21 November 2000).]

cabinboy
22nd Nov 2000, 06:16
The weird thing about this whole incident is that on the A300 these aircraft have plug doors which slide inwards first before sliding outwards...how could he have been sucked out ? furthermore the cabin pressure is set at ground pressure which would have been the same when the door was opened.

Speculation has it now that the purser was caught in the slide when it inflated which pushed him out of the door.

Still a very sad story.

Cheers
Cabinboy

TOGA_Party
22nd Nov 2000, 13:53
An unbelievable and tragic accident,my sympathies go out to all the family and crewmates.

Cabin Boy,
The A300 does not have doors "which slide inwards first before sliding outwards".

From reading other media reports,I rather suspect this Purser MAY have been caught by the "power assist" on the door. The system fires a CO2 cartridge if the door is opened in the armed position. If you're still hanging onto the door handle (shaped like a stirrup on a horse saddle)when the "power assist" kicks in,it will take you with it.

chilled
22nd Nov 2000, 21:57
Along with everyone else my sympathies to the family and friends. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

TOGA_party, I agree with what you have to say on this, I have worked on the A300 and the power assist sounds very feasable. Never opened a door whilst using it, but was warned about its power whilst in training for the type. Hope this was not the case, as I am sure it will worry all crews working on this a/c type.