PDA

View Full Version : General Nav Theory, books...

Jerry Springer
29th Dec 2007, 08:10
I need some help with the JAA General Nav.
Can anyone suggest a good book or online course (or do you have a book for sale?) with example questions, with the soultions all show....My maths is s**t !

I dont want to buy a full JAA course as the other subjects are ok...
Thanks

bobster1
29th Dec 2007, 10:51
Buy Oxfords Gen Nav books, very good, and also plenty of progress tests ATPL style, and full tests at back of book.
Good diagrams and everything well explained in depth beyond what you really need to know..:ok:

Deano777
29th Dec 2007, 11:58
Baz from Bristol Groundschool has released an excellent book catering for "maths for pilots". unfortunately I don't know the title or ISBN number, maybe you can post on their forum and ask someone.

http://www.atpforum.co.uk

D777

LH2
29th Dec 2007, 12:32
Considering Baz's lowly opinion of a typical pilot's intellectual abilities and the general contempt in which he holds us, that book must be an interesting read indeed--does it have any words at all or is it pictures only? :} (and it does come with a free CRP-5, right? :E)

Mind you, I for one fully agree with Baz's "semi-skilled labour is all you are" observation (he's an ex-nav, so he can say that)

And, no disrespect intended to the original poster, but ATPL theory does not require any more maths (or any other knowledge) than would have been thaught to you early in your secondary education. In particular, if you can solve an Euclidean triangle you can pass Gen Nav.

It may look a bit daunting when you're first confronted with that big pile of books, but it really is as simple as that, so you should be allright. Think doing your driving theory test 14 times.

Jerry Springer
29th Dec 2007, 13:58
Thanks, sounds like the oxford stuff is the go....

Actually I found the Bristol question bank great. It is the only material I looked at for the JAA ATPL exams, and I passed 11 first go, with marks in the 90s...So my 'big pile of books' numbers 'zero' at this stage. As you suggested, it would have been daunting to start with lots of books, so I thought it better to start with none...

But I can't figure out the sine, cose, tan stuff in the Bristol question bank...some of the answers kind of show how to work things out, but without the formulas I am lost...sure I dont think the maths would be so hard in it, but I am not smart enough to work out the formulas on my own...

HN1708
29th Dec 2007, 14:21
Jerry, check PMs dude.