PDA

View Full Version : B1 license. is it worth it?

asdaasbo
28th Dec 2007, 20:33
Hi all. I'm a disgruntled aircraft engineer in the armed forces and currently surveying the prospects of a similar career in civvy street. A lot of jobs have a license requirement. Just wandering if its worth doing the a license before b1 or if i'll be able to get a reasonable job on my current experience. If anyone out there has been in a similar position, how did you get on? :confused:

WOTME?
28th Dec 2007, 22:36
The only way forward if you intend to stay in the industry is licenced.

Greeny9
29th Dec 2007, 08:44
I agree. An A licence will get you in the door but you still have to sit the same exams for a B licence! ( to a lower standard though) Use your resettlement to finish the difficult ones but get the easy ones under your belt at your own expense.
The difference in salary is worth the effort. If you haven't finished the exams when you are looking for a job, to show a potential employer that you have passed x amount of exams is a big plus!
Good luck

EGT Redline
29th Dec 2007, 10:11
No Licence = Mechanic
Licence = LAE within a couple of years of leaving if you prove yourself

Folk are leaving the forces in droves at the moment. Get your ticket prior to leaving and you will stand head and shoulders above the majority of others who’ve let the years tick by thinking civvy street will owe them a favour when they eventually come to leave.

I’ve come across a couple of ex RAF guys recently and their biggest regret was not getting a ticket before leaving. Trying to earn an honest crust out here (long hours, night shifts, overtime to help pay the rent or mortgage etc.) doesn’t leave much time or the desire to study. It’s a damn sight easier studying for a licence whilst you are still in the mob so use the time wisely. The days of employers putting guys through courses to get their licenses are long gone, the onus is now very much on the individual.

Rigga
29th Dec 2007, 19:49
Asdaasbo,
There are many threads like this on

www.e-goat.co.uk

Specifically talking about your typical dilemma.

(and my opinion is to go for the B1)

Regards
Rigga

asdaasbo
29th Dec 2007, 21:55
Thanks for the advise guys. Will be making enquiries as soon as back off leave. :ok:

VillWill
30th Dec 2007, 02:47
Hi,
I currently hold an A licence and am halfway through my B licence exams, the A licence is good and it does give you some responsibility and a few extra quid compared to being unlicenced. But the best thing would be to get the B licence, nearly every good contract job is for B liceenced with a Type.
And as was mentioned before you have to the same exams as A licence for B, only to a lower standard. The reason i had to do the A exams first was the company i started with, they would only bring us to A standard, the rest was off our own backs.

Best of luck with it!

ratchetspanner
30th Dec 2007, 13:58
Dont waste your time studying for an A licence, go straight for the B1. There is alot of overlap in the modules you take for the 'A' and 'B'. Also, if you're serious about getting out, start logging your experience and tasks that you c/o including ATA chapter......this will help in the future when applying for your B1.....good luck. Also, with a B1 plus a/c approvals, you could be looking at £25-30/hr on the conny circuit!