PDA

View Full Version : Trolley Problem

Lucifer
23rd Jan 2001, 18:22
A friend of mine is doing an engineering project, and she needs to find out such things as the dimensions of the food carts, and aisle widths for aircraft such as A320 or 737. If anybody knows the company and their website who manufacture these carts, I would be extremely grateful, or indeed if you know the aisle widths or where to find them. Also, if you have any suggestions on how to improve the carts, please post them as this is part of her project as well.

Sick Squid
27th Jan 2001, 21:04
I've re-opened this thread in here as it wasn't flourishing up in Tech-Log. It was my call to send it up there, and I got it wrong... not the first time! Be gentle with me please, I'm still learning!

So, can anyone help His Satanic Majesty, here? How would you change the design of those delightful devices that give you permanent lower back trouble? Make them self-propelled? Add in robot arms? A cattle-prod or two?

The floor is yours...

£6
Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Xenia
27th Jan 2001, 23:32
As far as I am aware ALL trolleys have standard measures...so it doesn't make any difference if they're for B-737 or B-747 ;)...there are single trolleys and double trolleys....
Never measure one in all my life to be honest....but I'll try to find out for you who manufacture them soon.
Hope that will help...please...don't ask me to measure one for you.... :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

[This message has been edited by Xenia (edited 27 January 2001).]

Lucifer
27th Jan 2001, 23:35
Thanks very much!

SussexAirwaysPurser
28th Jan 2001, 04:35
Lucifer, you'll find that galleys/trolleys/canisters etc are all produced to one of the galley standards eg ACE(used by BA & affiliates) or ATLAS (AF, LH & even BA's new A319s), so a cart on a BA 737 is just the same as that on Concorde or a 747. One of the only aircraft to have type specific galleys & equipment was the Tristar - the galleys on which were fitted by Lockheed as opposed to the airlines themselves. Hope this helps.

GalleyWench
28th Jan 2001, 08:31
Lucifer, Clearly I work for an airline that buys carts at a boot sale as they are several different sizes on each aircraft! The only consistency are the universal carts found on the a319/20 and the 777.Not all of our bar carts on those fleets are universals though. On other a/c we can have 4 different width carts that ANNOYINGLY fit only in specific places which makes for a fun game of bumper carts before landing! I posted some other suggestions on the tech log where our silly...oops...sicksquid moved it for a while. Please no knucklebuster handbrakes on the carts!

SPICEBOY
31st Jan 2001, 15:20
Measurements for the carts are:
W=aisle width + 2 ins
L=crew arm length + 2 ins
H=crew stooped height - 2 ins
Floor clearance=baby's hand width - 1 in

Some of our destinations don't have the high-lift catering trucks we get used to so we have these awful,awkward "space frame" things that have boxes slotted into them and then have to be run up and down the steps to change them over.Any advice on solving this (apart from buying several hi-lifts)would be appreciated.

------------------
Once more onto the beach dear friends!

Slaaag
31st Jan 2001, 18:42
Xenia,

B737 bars will not fit a B757 they are too small.

Xenia
31st Jan 2001, 23:58
Dunno Slaaag...
Used to work in the past for an airline where I am sure all double trolleys were standards on B727, B737 & B757

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

Lucifer
7th Feb 2001, 15:10
Come on you lot! Ideas please!

Octopus
7th Feb 2001, 19:31
Lucifer

The trolleys in economy are referred to as 'carts' and trollies of the folding type used in first and business. The economy carts are same width on 320,330 and 340 and also used on 767. There are full sized and half size. Can't tell you dimensions now but same width as meal tray and fit 24 full size trays or 42 of the 2/3 size trays.

Some airlines have regulations where one person pulling a bar must be half size or two on a full size cart - other airlines don't bother - they are very heavy!

Size of aisle depends on seating configuation and aircraft type. Most size people can slip past a cart on 767, 320 or 340 but no way on a 330 aisle is too narrow.

Suggestions for improvement:

Wheels should be designed in some material that does not snag on carpets etc and stronger - one the wheels get bent the trolley doubles in weight and impossible to manoeuvre.

Need to be made in tamper proof manner. New trolleys have grills at the back which slot into chiller blowers on aircraft to keep food cold but cannot be used for bars because catering staff rip of the grills and pinch the booze and duty free.

London bond staff have also succeeded in smashing holes in the top of carts to steal duty free items - cunningly disguised with big pieces of paper on top to cover the hole.

Hope this helps a bit!