PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways

pappy85027
28th Dec 2007, 20:03
Hi Guys; got an interview coming up with Qatar Airways as a First Officer. Does anyone have any updated gouge? How’s life in Doha? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

loc22550
29th Dec 2007, 05:22
"Life" in Doha....No comment..:\ well..
Here you will be surrounded by people who suffer from a huge lack of discipline and education, rules are here for decoration (except the religion one,just to give you an example and iīm sure you will understand what iīm talking about:You can smoke in any public place ,coffee shop,restaurant...although itīs NOT ALLOWED by QATARI law,nobody will bother you as you are intoxicating people surounding you, but..donīt try to have a cigarette during Ramadan ..in the street....you may be put in jail...!!)Qatar is the most "closed" country in the gulf after Saudi,compared to other place ,Bahrein,Abu Dhabi,Dubai,Muscat.,and one of the most expensive as well in the Gulf(even Dubai is cheaper!).
-The main Hobby here for peole is..Shopping...:uhoh:
-Nice weather in the winter(november till april),summer is terrible.
-Car Gas cheap.

Da Do Ron Ron
29th Dec 2007, 12:26
Oh come on, Doha is a GREAT place to live ....

Guinness now only QR36 a pint :eek:

wastafarian
29th Dec 2007, 12:40
ten bucks says that pappy85027 is now thinking "c-mon guys. it cant be all that bad."

then he thinks that he's geting a response from the 5% negative/distructive minority you find in any companie.

Cpt. off the hook
29th Dec 2007, 17:11
come over pappy It's about the same as Phoenix and you can have a proper Irish draught. I'm afraid you will have to change your alias to puppet though.

roger reed
29th Dec 2007, 18:50
im kinda thinkin like pappy too...cant b tht bad .ppl with bad experiences come here and spread the rumour and ppl with good experiences cant b bothered to do jack **** ...so guess the stories come from a selective type of frustrated ppl :ugh:way to go guys...u hav all ears:ok:

bufe01
31st Dec 2007, 17:01
Very relaxed.
Fairly simple tech questionnaire, short 10 mins interview with 2 fairly basic tech questions. 320 or 330 sim with t/o into the visual pattern to land, eng cut after v1 followed by vectors to the ils to overshoot, repos on the ils for a full stop.
Spoken with a couple of pilots they didn't seem as desperate as ppruners, the average ppruners is slightly desperate and with a tendency to winge!
I'm waiting for a reply rom QR!
Good luck and happy new year.

Dear Snam, looking into greener pastures? Ciao.

pappy85027
31st Dec 2007, 23:46
Thanks guys. I’m looking forward to see Doha. Hope it would be a good experience. Happy New Year!

CEO PITA
1st Jan 2008, 01:02
Any reason why you want to jojn QR instead EK or EY ?

loc22550
1st Jan 2008, 07:38
NYc pilot...Not only American pilots...others as well...:)
Good you didnīt do the mistake to come here in QR...
Happy 2008.
Cheers

cavelino rampante
1st Jan 2008, 11:23
True SNAM
But some people prefer to whinge then do something about it, like leaving.
They spend their whole lives bathing in misery, whining like sad wet puppy's, instead of taking charge of their own destiny and going somewhere else where they'd be happy.

Qatari515
1st Jan 2008, 11:41
True,

but some people are being conned into joining here (only 1 year to upgrade, beautifull villas for all new joiners, plenty of Schools around with spaces available,expat lifestyle in cosmoplotitan Doha,....)

These people arrive here and can not leave anymore....

cavelino rampante
1st Jan 2008, 13:51
Qatari515

There is NO excuse for not doing your homework before you come here. There is SO MUCH non company supplied information available to anyone who wants to get off their ass and find it to help make a decision whether QR or the gulf is for them.

loc22550
1st Jan 2008, 15:16
Snam,if you want to make a clever post next time..Better you advice people with some dignity not to come to Q.R( not like those idiot who applaud AAB during a pilot meeting after beeing insult by him).

hairy plotter
1st Jan 2008, 15:28
... I think that pilots who are very close-minded and who have extremely stubborn charachters should avoid leaving their countries before it is too late to realise that a mistake was done by relocating to the Gulf area or to any other Continent of the World different from their original countries...Very true my friend, very true. The virtues described by you will make the integration into QTR very difficult however even most enthusiastic folks do get beaten down and eventually cracked by Qatar's Airline way of running the operations let along the training standards and hypocrisies the management applies on daily basis. Just remember one thing you're considered to be a bit higher payed labor a$$. No one is interested in what you think or want.
Happy new year!!!

Qatari515
1st Jan 2008, 22:08
Snam, I do agree with you as that was what I did...

But you would be surprised how many grown ups/adult pilot join here, believing everything they where told at the interviews and ignoring forums like this one, only to be totally dissapointed as soon as they arrive here.

I ve heard it all, Ive seen it all.....A lot of pilots are total dumbasses.....No wonder managements all over the world are having such a ball!

No wonder they see us as busdrivers....

No wonder they see us as weak idiots who know nothing but to push a button to get an aircraft from A to B.

We do it ALL to ourselves!

CEO PITA
1st Jan 2008, 22:22
Before you jojn plz read all memos issued by great AAB CEO about what is not alowed in QR and make decision after that . O yea there is many things not written but still NOT ALOWED !
Did you know if you want to bring youre mother which is older than 60 y old you need to get approved by CEO ? So if he dont like you guess .
Did you know that you can be terminated if you date a cabin crew ?
Did you know that not all cabin crew can enter cockpit ? Only CS and R1 if you bring any other its a warrning letter and you cant be promoted or transfered to other type for 1 y and after you need CEO cleareance.
Did you know that any transfere or promotion has to be cleared by CEO like he is TRE and CEO all in 1 . And some people never got promoted becouse ( it come to his attention ) by cabin crew that this pilots talked against him .
Plz inform youre self before you come .
AAB just hate pilots becouse we have more fun with CC than him !

Black Stain
2nd Jan 2008, 02:34
SNAM, most successful goat recruits have a driving motivation to escape something really bad: poverty, unemployment, violence, knife wielding ex-wife, etc...

If you are whining about your life in Europe, you are probably going to hate the desert. So your boss bullies you; like you suggest yourself, big deal. Life really could get much worse for you. But it seems you are determined to make this discovery yourself.... congratulations.

loc22550
2nd Jan 2008, 06:22
Great SNAM...But donīt even try to compare UAE with Qatar, or EY,EK with Qatar airways.....
In my opinion still very difficult to have a real image of a company till the day you are really working for them..thatīs why you have to be very carefull..expecially here..
For the country itself,yes itīs obvious, if you come to Qatar, you will immediatly note the difference with UAE or other place in the gulf.:hmm:
Did you known as well if during your Osaka flight you take you due rest in First instead of Business class(for ex if first is empty), you may be reported by the CSD...(yes.. Qatar airways is a kindergarden), result: money will be deducted at the end of the month from your salary..and not a small amount...10.000QR for example...yes this happens here in Qatar Airways...
Is it normal....?
So i donīt think people who are complaining here are close-minded as you mentioned before(the real close minded guy here is the Ceo and his surrounding mafia)...join us for a while and you will understand....

globeflyer
2nd Jan 2008, 10:31
Sounds like a really backward airline, does the QR management have any education, this is not something you expect in a modern world, I am really suprised that QR have any pilots and staff left, or for that matter the airline exists.

The CEO sounds like a stupid guy with no brains who needs to get out in the modern world and modernise himself, do you think if he ever decided to leave, QR will be a better place?

CEO PITA
2nd Jan 2008, 12:26
Ok you are half Lebanese . In Europe you have som kinda law but in QR no souch thing like CEO terminate cabin crew for no reason and she has a loan which bank wanther to settle in one time if she wants a letter for imigration clereance and she cant pay in one time guess what happen? After 8 days she become iligal and she is send to jail . Its sad true CEO is idiot !

vaschandi
2nd Jan 2008, 14:23
Hi SNAM!
Thanks for all your infos!
Still wondering why you hide your airline you are working for...
Would like to make my own picture!
Some friends of mine working for Easyjet and Ryanair and telling me different stories.

CEO PITA
2nd Jan 2008, 15:19
If its true what you are talking SNAM QR would be flooded with unhappy cabin crew from EU and true is that we have 88 % Asian crew from poor places .

thebeast
2nd Jan 2008, 16:33
Still wondering why you hide your airline you are working for...
Would like to make my own picture!
Some friends of mine working for Easyjet and Ryanair and telling me different stories.

Dont think he is hiding his airline with that description, i recognise the descrption only to well! And it isnt Easyjet.

Going back to the thread, if QR is so bad are there not ample opportunites in Emirates and Etihad? or is there a policy of not recruiting from each other?

hairy plotter
3rd Jan 2008, 07:24
Snam, don't fall into the trap of comparing the FR with QR. The bottom line is, in the West you still have the chance to defend your rights and a bit of luck even be the winner. Over here, I say it again, you're less than Zero when it comes to anything regarding your rights. It's OK to be bulled by the a$$es in the commercial management, it's a common thing all over the world. QR's flight ops specialty is patronizing their crews in a very close cooperation with the dick heads from rostering. You will be amazed of the scope childish behavior prevails over here. Anyhow suite yourself.

Black Stain
13th Jan 2008, 07:37
Hey SNAM, so maybe your boss is an ass. But now you have really got me wondering; which is the worst airline to work for? Is it the Desert Goat or the Euro Goat?

But why not broaden the survey whilst we chat?? Maybe there is a far away prison camp that can beat the two goats for Worlds Worst Run Airline title.

I say The Desert Goat is right down there close to the very bottom. Cannot think of anything good to say. Sorry.... 1st class catering is very nice. Three cheers for the cook.

Bat600
15th Jan 2008, 20:56
Sorry, but the great problem in Doha or actually in the Gulf are the "expatriate". All time fighting with other "expatriate". :( This is :mad:.

Toyboy777
20th Jan 2008, 14:52
Mr LOC22550 if you don't like the place just get lost and find some where elese to feed your family.i'm wondring where do u use to live :mad: and i think if the place you came from is better you wouldn't leave it:}

NO FD NO SRS
20th Jan 2008, 15:44
take it easy toyboy... no matter what the conditions are, people will complain this is the nature of human being. beside that locc has few valid points. try to cop with bit of criticism.

safe flying

loc22550
21st Jan 2008, 06:03
Snam: This has nothing to do with following rules or not... This has to do with the kind of mentality and kids we have amongst the cabin crew.
Before you report somebody we can talk each other(like adult...) and try to solve the problem instead of just reporting him or her without telling anything....(this happens in primary school)...this just shows the level of hypocrisy and honesty we have here...
Cheers.

PIPE RIDER
21st Jan 2008, 06:16
Just the facts about money etc..

Base is Ok taking into account dollar plunge isnt an issue for latin americans.

Housing, you will be offered a 3 bedroom apartment in a decent compound (decent NOT great), if you try to get your own place money is not enough.

Transportation, if you leave in that compound they offer you and have kids you definetly need 2 cars so is not enough to pay the monthly payment of 2 average cars (dont do the classic mistake and go for the Land Rovers, BMW etc.).

School is enough for an average school, that is if you can find one, I think school is a really tough subject in the Gulf (not only Doha).Couple of guys left QR because they could not get a school for their kids, or go find a ****ty one.

Exotic destinations mmmmmmm, not on 320 dont think India is as you see it on Travel Channel.

Well just a little info, my advice there is a more mature carrier very close from Doha, because if you think a lot of 320 time will put you closer to a left seat that is absolutely false. Command time is easy 5 years nowadays.

Ok remember as they say in your country, "prometer hasta meter, una vez metido al chin...... lo prometido"

Ups i almost forgot you will NEVER fly 80 hrs on 320 maybe 60 if lucky.
CS reports and all that 100% truth wath you have read here

cavelino rampante
21st Jan 2008, 10:23
Been here 8 years now. Never had even 30 seconds of hassle with the cabin crew. Treat them well, they'll look after you, same as everywhere. They do a tremendous job given how difficult the CEO makes it for them.

Moving to the Gulf is a big decision especially if your bringing your wife and kids. Dont underestimate it, its not for everyone. Some wives have come and loved it, others hated it. If it was me I'd come for a week or two with my wife, meet with some families in a similar circumstance and ask them all the questions you need answers to.

Good luck.

CEO PITA
21st Jan 2008, 14:45
Good news today. Mr Salia known as a Snake is in trouble and his post will be taken by PO Elias. I think CEO had enaf of licking and naw he need job to be done.

Fly4Fun
21st Jan 2008, 18:57
Hi guys,
What kind of accommodation Qatar provide to captains? Also a 3 bedroom apartment?
Thanks in advance

Donalde
22nd Jan 2008, 09:08
Does anyone have any specific info on what is involved in the screening process for B777 Captain's position?

They say two days, one for interview, and one for Sim.

Also does anyone know the basics of the contract being offered?
Any commuting, available or not?

TheChitterneFlyer
22nd Jan 2008, 09:44
I'm a bystander within this thread but I'll be coming to Qatar within the next couple of weeks to fly a desk... my flying days are now over!

Having spent thirty-odd years flying large aeroplanes I can tell you that the good old days of flying are over. My previous airline was much the same as any other... crew control are given the rules to roster you by and they simply apply those rules; if they don't, they get some grief too! The 'bean-counters' are truly the fly in the ointment because it's they who determine the number of crew to efficiently fly your route network. As a general rule, cabin crew aren't the best paid people in any given airline, but they too have a need to make advancements and that they too do their very best to work within the given guidelines/rules. Given that the Cabin Crew work on the 'front line' and are face to face with your customers you'd think that they'd have a salary to match the quality of service that they're required to give; but probably not!

The rules are set in place by the QCAA (Flight Time Limitations) and I can tell you that they are identical to the UKCAA, so you'd think that there would be no difference in rostering to that of any other UK airline? The bottom line here is, I guess, is that you've agreed to those rules, and if the rules so dictate that you work for a maximum of 900 flying hours per annum... that's exactly what the airline wants from you; that's the commercial sense of the airline and it's called profitability! Therefore, if your airline is experiencing growth, you can expect to get close to those limitations. It's interseting to note though, that those 900 hours are 'flying hours' and not 'duty hours', which can, and will, make a whole lot of difference to your working week/month/year.

In conclusion, no matter whether you fly for QA or any other UK based airline, the rules are the same; therefore, it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to work in the sunshine or the rain! There are of course quite different cultures within each region which may or may not be your preference; but it's all about choice... your choice. My choice is to escape a crime riddled UK where it's not safe to even make eye contact with a hooded youth, because at best, you'll get some abuse, or at the other end of the scale, get a knife in your ribs! From a governmental point of view, if you stay in the UK you'll be taxed (robbed) to the extreme. As I've said previously, it's all about choice... as far as I'm concerned it's a 'no brainer'; I'm getting out of here!

bufe01
22nd Jan 2008, 15:53
Hello everybody,
can anyone give me some general info on A320 fleet ops? You know, roster, destinations, life style, flying hours, career prospects...the usual.
Looking forward to discover myself the real truth!

Many thanks

Bufe

Qatari515
22nd Jan 2008, 15:56
Outhouse,

you must be joking right? So your judgement of a professional pilot stands or falls with the smoothness of a landing?

Has it ever occured to you that a smooth landing is a far cry from a safe landing in many cases? That it probably was a rather deep landing eating up runway length

That a soft landing in a modern airbus in many cases is just a question of leaving the autothrust on long enough to hear several retard call outs...

To the guy flying desks....

I dont know which position you will assume here but I wish you all the best...we need people with real experience. As long as you dont forget where you came from....being the flightdeck!

9.G
22nd Jan 2008, 17:26
you are entitled for a villa Fly4Fun or housing allowance. Make sure you get the villa. Several senior guys are struggling with accommodation issue since the rule has been changed all over again and they are forced to move out by the land lords. It's all for the new joiners now not for the senior once. The more senior you get in QR the more you'll get screwed. New joiners will replace the old blokes, I guess. The moment any airline opens overseas bases some villas will get empty.

Fly4Fun
22nd Jan 2008, 18:29
Thanks 9.G
Just one more question, does QR gives any utilities and furnishing allowance if you get company accommodation?

Safe landings :ok:

RnR
22nd Jan 2008, 18:45
Q515,

Maybe it was just a good landing, (flying skill)

do you need some RNR?

Cheers an fly safe (an smooth)

TheChitterneFlyer
22nd Jan 2008, 19:47
SNAM & Qatari515,

I can assure you that my new salary doesn't even come close to what I've been accustomed to earning in the past, but now that I'm a step closer to retirement I'm more than happy to see my previously hectic lifestyle slow down a little. As I inferred earlier, it's all about choice! I don't wish to be brash and say that I've just about seen and done everything, but what I can say with some certainty, is that the modern aviation world is now a cut and thrust financial industry and no ammount of bashing your head against the management door will achieve anything; except a bad name for yourself! So, like any other buisiness, you have to approach your management with stealth and plant the seeds of your gripes in small batches, but allways leaving the obvious solution within their own laps, which, eventually, should result in those seeds bearing fruit because they will ultimately find that solution that you planted some time ago. You must realise that you are within an Arab business culture, so the good ideas must come from the management team and not from the shop floor... that just how it is and you aint gonna change that culture overnight.

I'm all for fair play, but there are rules & regulations that govern our businness; some we like and some we don't like, but rightly or wrongly, we're stuck with them.

What I will say, is, that there are no totally satisfactory set of rules within the minefield of FTLs; not anywhere on this planet, because there will allways be a new/oddball situation that cannot be adequately addressed by those rules. Those rules are there to protect not only you as flight crew, but also the airline and its passengers; so, the sooner you get to grips with those rules, and thoroughly understand the interpretation of them, the better placed you will be when it comes to any missunderstanding. I mention 'interpretation', because usually it's the company who will have the final say with regard to interpretation... sometimes not a fair judgement, because as I said earlier, FTLs are a minefield of 'shall', 'if', 'might', 'should', 'must', and 'shouldn't'! When it comes to rostering issues, those rules are taken into account when constructing your monthly roster; however, when the whole operation falls to rat$hit due to delays or disruption to service there can sometimes be errors of judgement in trying pull it all back together again, so it's perhaps not surprising that some people do occasionally get the rough end of the stick. If you find that a roster change isn't quite legally correct, ask someone in Crew Control for clarification, and this will usually resolve itself when the errors have been pointed out. They may of course ask you for a 'favour' on this occasion... that's up to you of course? On the other side of the coin, if you are continually getting shafted, keep a record and put it into print for the attention of your line manager... it will allways get their attention, because they so hate paperwork!

On a final note, there's allways the ultimate letout... you have the responsibility to your company (and to yourself) to say that you are unfit for duty (QCAA FTLs). Go and see your doctor and tell him you are tired... if that should be the case?

I've had my own fair share of being $hafted by management and FTLs, and the interpretation thereof, and I could tell you many real stories that would make your hair curl; unless, like me, your forehead has joined the back of your head! Management is all about providing a level playing field and listening to people.

Stay safe, be calm and objective... tell someone!

TCF

9.G
22nd Jan 2008, 20:16
Welcome aboard TheChitterneFlyer. I wish you success with transforming a political party into a proper OPS. Best of luck.:ok:

Qatari515
22nd Jan 2008, 20:57
RnR.....

You could be right...however if you have been here for a while you should know that that actually would be a very remote chance!

Could always use some rnr though....hahaha

TheChitterneFlyer

as I said before...good luck! Many tried before you, maybe you will be the lucky one!

From reading your posts I fear that you might be in for a culture shock!

But once more...Good luck!

cavelino rampante
22nd Jan 2008, 21:19
Welcome on board TCF. Most people here want the same thing, a great airline. Different cultures approach that mission in different ways and being respectful of those differences will help you to achieve your personal and professional goals at QR. It sounds like you realise that already which is a big start.

Wish you all the best.

roger reed
22nd Jan 2008, 22:07
i don think it ll b a better place ..it was crap before he came its only gotten better...cant imagine without him to b honest.lets b practical...u may call the man conservative but again its doha we re livin in not vegas

scanscanscan
23rd Jan 2008, 01:27
TCF...Congratulations....Given the choice of a solo row of the Atlantic Ocean and Qatar Airways desk job... I see you took the harder option.
Depending on your experiances as a pilot at previous airlines will depend your depth of tolerance factor and your length of employment in the Gulf.
From your posts you seem to be making all the right noises as far as crews are concerned and you are well aware of the need to go with the flow and roll with the punches...the problem will be if you have a burning desire to achieve anything....anything that is other than a monthly pay cheque and investing offshore your UK pension in a taxfree climate.
You will be well advised to get your nonresidence from the UK tax system confirmed in writing by the UK tax man...if you do not have a written contract of employment you could find he considers you still Uk resident for years.
Danger lurks.... if you get seriously ill... you have to hope that Qatar Airways like you enough to fly you out to the UK for treatment...i.e. dump you back from wence you came.... you could find (like my friend Rad Gammage did at Gulf Air that they do not...but then he had only done 31years service for them as pilot.
If dumped back in the UK you will have to pay fully the NHS for any hospital treatment because you have been nonresident UK the previous tax year...the NHS will ask you to prove your residency for free treatment if you cannot they will charge you mega bucks and if you claim residency the Tax man has got you.
You would be well adviced to note the Ģ amount of medical insurance you "might" be allowed in your contract..if you have an old pilot health breakdown "event" healthwise in 40degrees C OAT.
You sound the sort of nice sociable type of Uk guy who would jog and play sports etc in such conditions.
The UK tax man will always wish you to prove... if you were resident or non resident...this is a pain if all the time you "thought" you were offshore and non resident.
You might be better advised to establish a tax residentcy in the IOM and show yourself based there and pay tax there... which will be minimal and also retain your NHS cover and have your UK state pension payed into the IOM and start working on your UK domicile change to mitigate future IHTand sell up everythying in the UK.
You sound nice enough to be divorced as all real pilots are....if you are taking the second/third young wife there (your age minus 25yearsish) and any kids that need education to Qatar your employment is unlikely to be cost effective.
If you have always lived in the UK your life is about to slowly get very interesting in the wrong direction....hats off to you if you achieve three years plus of flying a desk in Qatar and manage to return a non racist and not extreame right wing this will indeed be an achievement...the good news is you will appreciate the UK/IOM more for a few months on your return.
We had loads of guys arrive with your keeness at GF to fly desks in retirement
on BA/Cathay/Air Newzland pensions...most did not make twelve months...one we considered a terminal basket case and clinically dead on arrival managed two years then died within days of returning to NZ.
Probably you do not want to go this route.... anyway whatever you chose I wish you good luck..just remember ...Your Contract terms and conditions mean very little East of Dover and are considered by Arab employers of expats as a point from which to ratchet down after you have made the move to the Gulf.

hairy plotter
23rd Jan 2008, 05:50
All the best TheChitterneFlyer. I smell leadership in the air capable of synergy.
That's exactly what the Arab world can't cope with. Beware of becoming too popular and stealing the show from AAB as that's a death sentence. Maneuverability on the minefield in the flight operations is vital. Anyhow welcome and good luck.

RnR
23rd Jan 2008, 13:25
Outhouse :)

Frankly do think that we still love to do our job an take pride in what we do,
( guess that includes the smooth landings)

Cheers,

Off to.... RNR

Cpt. off the hook
23rd Jan 2008, 17:04
Jez guys let it go. The old fart was happy and felt pride once again. So be it.
No point of reasoning at ll. If a greaser makes some folks happy without them knowing the specs..... who cares?? it all went alright the rest is up to gatekeepers. It's service industry in the end. We have to play the game sometimes too.
TheChitterneFlyer welcome mate... mission impossible 4 but you're up to the challenge as far as I can see. You can count on me at least.

RnR
23rd Jan 2008, 21:02
SNAM,

And you know for sure that the guy FLOATED,:=

As i said, could be SKILL,

Cpt Off The Hook,:hmm:

Just think that we as Professionals like to an do our best everyday,
( Not for the old Fart)

OFF TO,

RnR.

74world
24th Jan 2008, 07:46
Hi Guys,

Would it be possible to know what the take home pay is for a Capt at QR? On their web site they mention 48,700 QAR, is that including accommodation?

What about the medical, is it paid for by the company?

I saw that QR will be conducting interviews in Colombo would any of you guys know why?????

Thank you in advance for the info.... :cool:

loc22550
25th Jan 2008, 07:37
48700.. includes House allowance.
Substract 12.300 Q.R/Month for a CPt if you take company accomodation.
Medical ..not paid by the company except the first one.
The important think here is not what you can take home monthly..but rather what you can SAVE monthly.(donīt forget..No pension here, if you think for the long term..)

74world
25th Jan 2008, 10:21
Hi,

LOC22550 what about medical insurance for you and your family (ie. Doctors, dentist, hospital...etc)???? is that paid for by QR????

Cheers

loc22550
25th Jan 2008, 13:34
have been lucky up to now thanks god, not been sick yet..but heard thatthis company insurance only work in a few place in doha (the cheepest one.., and not the one that give you the best treatment:doha clinic for example..),what happens if i go to another center:expensive one..thatīs usually the one who give you a better treatment.:uhoh:..even here good medical care is a Luxury :ugh:(like paying 1000QR to go to a good dentist....,is this refund...?)

tuan74
25th Jan 2008, 16:40
Medical is covered by QR for you and your family except dental and eyecare..

Some clinics/hospitals do accept the Allianz card some don't... what I did to those hospitals that doesn't accept the card was pay up front then claim back from QR...mind tho' it'll take months before you'll get refunded...

Dental only emergency cases will be covered.. and that's only half of what you're billed..

Class one medical is not covered, and recently new rules has been passed those over 40 only need to do medical once a year :ok::ok:

But to cover the expenses loosed by Dr Al Namaa medical bill for all has been increase to about Qr500 :{:{

Qatari515
25th Jan 2008, 16:49
Regarding the medical insurance....

You are fully covered everywhere in Doha, as well in the expensive places.

The only difference is that Doha Clinic for example will pay all the expenses instantly while some other places will ask you to pay the bill and you claim afterwards the amount from the insurance company.

The insurance is very good inside your area of coverage and your table of benefits....

WATCH OUT!

Not covered are:

Ophtalmological costs such as glasses.

Dental ( expect emergency dental care)

All costs related to pregnancies, deliveries or any costs related to complications of these.

Another thing to remember is that this is NOT a group insurance. As far as I know, in case you would be fired due to a medical reason ( remember e.g. that any form of malign cancer is a reason to revoke your class 1 medical) you instantly loose your medical coverage as QR would seize the payments in your name instantly.
Just my theory as I havent found anybody yet in HR or at Allianz who was willing to confirm or deny this untill now.

So all in all, rather good insurance but with a few rather large pitfalls...

Hope this helps

legion319
27th Jan 2008, 15:16
Hi,
I work in the states as a captain on the 320 series and have an interview with QR in march could anyone give me a real pic of what to expect and upgrade time on 320 or 330 how do you get treated and how much flight time a month and days off cost of living etc etc
cheers

Black Stain
28th Jan 2008, 11:06
All the best TheChitterneFlyer. I smell leadership in the air capable of synergy.
That's exactly what the Arab world can't cope with. Beware of becoming too popular and stealing the show from AAB as that's a death sentence.

Whether you realise it yet or not, the Grand Goat Pupettier has chosen you for dancing skills, not for your management ability; which I am sure you posess. By your appointment the Goat King is seen to be building a team. But your dilligent efforts will probably come to naught. And in the end, like everyone before, you will dance or walk.

For you, all the good luck that you are certainly going to need.

PS: The Chittern Flyer, no offence to you sir, but Cavelino would have been a better choice for such a ****ty job. The Goat King knows he will blow, he has nowhere else to go.

cavelino rampante
28th Jan 2008, 11:41
:{ :{ :{ :{ :{

Black Stain
28th Jan 2008, 22:35
Chin up Cavelino, master sees your loyalty and might give you the big hat next time. At the Goat you never have to wait long for management change.

ArabianGeek
29th Jan 2008, 10:53
Had 7 years Dubai 1 year Doha, its what you make of it. Positive people look to the positive, moaners do what they usually do and moan. Sure there are things that could be better, but there are worse places. Huge investment, growing infrastructure, entertainment and services but its not London, Paris or Dubai.

As always go back and ask what are you trying to acheive? Career progression, financial progression, a change or whatever. And if you don't like it you can leave. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

rwethereyet
30th Jan 2008, 18:36
Dear All,

Anyone with info regarding the hiring process for the 777 would be greatly appreciated.....:confused:
Are Qatar interviewing at the moment!? Could anyone who has gone through the hoops care to pass on any related information....it would be greatly appreciated.:ok:.BTW, your comments are very realistic and well put ArabianGeek.:DThank you....
Cheers,

RWTY:)

shneidertrophy
3rd Feb 2008, 17:54
We are hiring and the hiring process can be found somewhere around here.

B777 is the only fleet currently taking on DEC. On all other fleets DEC hiring has been stopped due to too many captains plus a lot of FOs ready to be upgraded internally.

We need more FOs to be joining urgently and we have seen the numbers of newly hired FOs rising dramatically over the last months!

All comments regarding medical are correct. You better take out some personal cover as well in case you have a family to take care of. Whatever QR offers you is not enough!

9.G
4th Feb 2008, 19:01
We need more FOs to be joining urgently and we have seen the numbers of newly hired FOs rising dramatically over the last months! right let's see how is that supposed to work with the current policy in place? New joiners get everything thrown to their feet and happily begin their training after 6 months of waiting and the old blokes resign due to various problems like roadster(roster), transfer, housing etc. Seniority means nothing in QR.:ugh:

fullforward
5th Feb 2008, 11:31
"Hi,
I work in the states as a captain on the 320 series and have an interview with QR in march could anyone give me a real pic of what to expect and upgrade time on 320 or 330 how do you get treated and how much flight time a month and days off cost of living etc etc
cheers"

:confused:
I get it right? Are you considering leave an A320 left seat job in the USA to head to DOHA?
What you've been smoking/drinking mate?

Donalde
5th Feb 2008, 12:02
Can anyone enlighten me as to what Licence you fly on in QR?
Is it A Qatari Licence, or a re-validation of your home country licence.
Many thanks

clipperchef
5th Feb 2008, 15:43
at SNAM

Quote ... simple, just follow the rule if you like it or, if not, go away!

You're right, thats the attitude of surviving everywhere! But this does not apply to QR at all.

First: most of the rules are "established" by AAB and are not written down. You mentioned the deduction if you sleep in F class during Osaka flight. The only thing what is written in the manual is the reservation of the BC seat. Nobody is talkig about where not to sit!
Second: If you get punished by that, don't think that will happen on the correct way...no warning letter, no remark, no adherence to the Qatari Labour Law at all...you will realise it,when you want to check out from QR after resignation.They take your passport (to cancel RP) and only after that you have to clear the finance and will realise that 2/3 of a monthly salary is missing! Ha, if you don't agree, you stuck coz your passport is in their hand.

If you claiming to follow rules and matters of educated behaviour so address it to QR !! Here the rules are not to apply, only one rule is here: AAB, the egomaniac god

Anyway, everybody who is brave enough to join should keep in mind - soon or later they got you, somehow, somewhere - no matter what you do (or not do), the storybook in QR is full with bs!

Good luck

rwethereyet
5th Feb 2008, 17:07
......As the adage goes....don't get mad....get even....:}

Johny Walker
5th Feb 2008, 18:29
Absolutely right clipperchef. No rules in that zoo. The rostering permanently bends the rules the way they want. AAB does whatever suits him. People are intimidated, offended and scared to do anything. No respect for privacy or humanity whatsoever. The Indian mafia is everywhere blocking any incentives trying to infiltrate the zoo. Once occupied they poison everything and frozen ice age sets in. Young Qataries are flighting to get back and trying to take over the shop. Interesting times shall we see ahead. Sure you want to join? If I was f/o with 2-3 k hours not a chance, for what?

Donalde
5th Feb 2008, 21:40
Can anyone enlighten me as to what Licence you fly on in QR?
Is it A Qatari Licence, or a re-validation of your home country licence.
Many thanks

clipperchef
6th Feb 2008, 02:10
at Donalde

You fly with a Qatari Licence, you'll can keep that when you leave again. The question is whever it is accepted where you go or not. So better to keep your homelicence in parallel

rwethereyet
7th Feb 2008, 12:10
Just heard that there is a hiring embargo at Qatar for non rated 777 DEC's!? Could anyone provide any info in regards to this!? :confused:Thanks.

Cheers,

RWTY

Full hope
6th Mar 2008, 17:00
Hello guys,

Can anybody please tell me what's the salary for s/o's?

Many thanks for your replies.

hairy plotter
6th Mar 2008, 17:32
Just to make it clear QR still hires DEC on all fleets despite the pseudo BAN advertised on the web. Bullsh%t my friend all under the table as many other things here or does anyone out there dare to oppose?

pilotyo
6th Mar 2008, 20:59
what should i study for the interview ?
thanks man

9.G
7th Mar 2008, 07:10
.. are you basically "descourageing" people from applying to QR as pilots while you still working there? SNAM:confused:

Snam QR prevents people from coming no one else!! Guys are doing the rest of the world a favour. They tell the truth thus preventing others from doing same mistake.

chilax.

loc22550
7th Mar 2008, 07:12
Exactly..100% correct!:D
Nothing absolutely Nothing is done here to encourage people to come ..or to stay...

Qatari515
7th Mar 2008, 10:14
So many new applicants????

Where do you get your information from mate?

They are struggling to meet the demand.

And if we see some new guys filtering through, none of them actually is high calibre material!

Some reasons people are joining QR these days:

1) They will give you a typerating on a modern airliner for virtually nothing in return. A320/330/340 en 777 are the most sought after TRs around...

2) They come to make a quick buck...many of the guys joining now are coming from parts of the world where the salaries are significantly lower and where the local currencies usually are pegged to the USD. They come here, save money and usually run after 3 years...

3) To get a licence which is worth a little bit more than the standard ICAO licence

4) To get experience on heavy airplanes....

5) To run away from a politically or other dangerous situation back home...

In short, most people come and survive here a few years, use the compnay for personal benefits and than run away!

NOBODY is here out of a career decision....

Remember the golden Sandpit adaggio...

Dont come here for a career....you will leave in exactly the same position as the one you joined with...(and this is true in 99% of the cases)

SNAM....open your eyes!

Smirnoff N21
7th Mar 2008, 18:31
Snam your eyes should very much concentrate on reading the books my friend not on pprune particularly being short of CU.
Wise judgment? Get your command first then try to make some wise judgments online only afterwards maybe weigh to move somewhere.

Just a friendly advise my friend.
Don't take it personally take it on the rocks!!!:ok:

Smirnoff N21
7th Mar 2008, 18:53
No worries Snam,
learning is a never ending process in all fields. Just to remind you about the difference btwn gathering info and making statements, so far you've being prone to do the later. Just my 2 cents. By the way we all did that.

9.G
7th Mar 2008, 19:48
Snam you want to check out the situation? Once you're in Doha check out new towers currently under construction located in the west bay labeled AL BAKER TOWERS. Do you think the guy can do two things effectively at the same time?
Locals can't even talk on the mobile and drive at the same time without having an accident. Without coming here I can tell you you will be one of cheaper cheaper a$$. Enjoy the European rights mate. :}

Smirnoff N21
8th Mar 2008, 06:37
Dear Snam,
unfortunately QR's information policy renders it impossible to be updated on current issues timely therefore prune is quite accurate, I'd say. Most of guys derive their info exclusively from prune. Sometimes QR chooses not to inform us about some changes affecting our T&C or circumstances pertaining our stay in Qatar at all. Housing is just one example no one from pilot body has ever seen any kind of notice stipulating change in the policy. To be fair that's not applicable to flight OPS. It seems there's two separately existing worlds QR tower and the rest. Result is an ineffective communication depriving people of a chance to make a sound decision. Should you come over here you will be surprised how accurate prune might be. It's one of the existing effective communication channels.

loc22550
8th Mar 2008, 11:19
Qatar airways has been rated 5 stars for first and business class service on board ONLY....and 5 stars as well for inflation in Qatar..the best in the gulf!
Qatar is indeed very good when it comes to the treatment of his GUEST.., But donīt forget WE(crew) are NOT guest..just labours, and thatīs a different story here...
And if you are not convinced yet that Qatar aiways is loosing the battle here in the gulf.. just have a look at the number of Views for the main thread for Emirates (250.000 views)-Etihad (150.000 views)...Qatar Airways(13.000 views:uhoh:)....interesting isnīt it?
Cheers.

Xaxa
8th Mar 2008, 20:38
Housing is just one example no one from pilot body has ever seen any kind of notice stipulating change in the policy.

Smirnoff N21, is there some new housing policy change? What's new and changed?

loc22550
10th Mar 2008, 17:16
9.G...there is enough mentally sick criminal drivers here in Doha and i think they donīt even need to have a mobile phone in their hand to cause a accident and ruine the live of innocent people!

Smirnoff N21
11th Mar 2008, 09:05
Xaxa, that's the point nobody knows what's the policy.

This is what flight deck crews have received :
Those interested in Company provided accommodation are requested to submit fresh applications for the same to enable us to reassess the requirement and allocate suitably.
Preference would be based on seniority in the airline. Some of us interested did apply. Since then couple of choices were available rather of mediocre standards. Bottom line is, as you're very well aware of virtually a war going on between tenants and the greedy landlords there's no guaranty all cases will be won. As you're also very well aware QR doesn't pay adequate housing allowances so one either accepts the fact of paying out of own pocket or tries to defend what's right hoping at the same time for a back up from the company in form of providing suitable accommodation in case needed.
Here comes the interesting part: new company accommodation can't be availed to the senior staff like mentioned in the aforesaid crew notice. Why? Apparently due to CEO's instruction which no one of us ever saw.
Quite a dilemma, don't you think?
The point is: even if there was such an instruction it's welfare's manager job to draw CEO's attention to the existing problems which they don't.
You tell me please how am I supposed to get adequate rest in a tiny two bed room apartment having a small child e.g going for a night flight?
Whereas at the same time single guys do get two story three bed one being new joiners.
Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand something.

loc22550
11th Mar 2008, 11:19
The allocation of accomodation for cockpit crew should be based on the family status and not the grade: flat for single people (CPT or F/O), villa for the family people with kids.
What i canīt understand is why new joiners have priority and not the seniors one...everything is upside down here in qatar aiways!

Smirnoff N21
11th Mar 2008, 14:43
The solution couldn't be really more simpler:
Value 2 bed room apartment =8000QAR
Value 3 bed room apartment=10000QAR
Value Villa 12000 QAR.
Let the guys make a choice and everybody is happy as well as QR will save money. If Cpt wants to take a two bed room one he'll get 4000 QAR refund or if F/O wants to take a villa he's gotta pay 2000 QAR on top. As easy as that. I believe it's called resourse managment. Ranking does matter but if someone is alone or single and wants to save money why not to give him that chance? For the company it's gonna cost all the same anyway but the accommodation won't be half occupied, as it's the case now, thus doubling costs. Folks would be happy and that's not acceptable in QR. Anyhow it's probably too much to expect.

salamalikum2
11th Mar 2008, 17:40
Want to make the folks happy..easy; just increase the basic by 10 to 20% and give the crew a annual increase that match with the reality of the situation in Doha..!!!(instead of this ridiculous 3%:ugh:) or at least a good bonus every year, and a good end of service benefit wich may motivate the people to stay here longer!
Easy....

bufe01
11th Mar 2008, 18:39
Hello lads,
I'll be joining in July...and please don't start, I've been reading you for a long time, I'll take full responsability and I'll buy you a beer the day I'll admit "you tried to tell me"!
I'm married, what are the chances of getting company housing and what is the monthly rent for a decent non-company-accomodation?
Thanks a lot
Bufe01

45sal
11th Mar 2008, 20:46
Hi guys!! first post, i fly as cap the ERJ 145 with 8500 hrs on different planes 4000 jet and 4500 turboprop only 1500 pic and have recently been invited to go for the QR interview, and the sim assessment (at Doha) in April. What can i expect from the interview and sim ride?, any info would be appreciated.
Something else..... I read here QR is pretty strict on crew politics, but do you get to enjoy the job, how is the general atmosphere with the fligth decks and cabin crew how are the pay and benefits. Do you get tickets, jump seat, Zed, insurance can you make a living and still save some money (married no kids). The truth is that i want to move to the middle east so i can save some money and retire after let's say 10, 15 years.
In witch plane in case i pass would i be put on?
Is it true that you can't date cabin crew? and if you do you get fired?.
I went to Dubai for the EK interview last month and did ok, is very nice too, but since i don't really know if i would be successful until 6 more weeks i might give a try at QR.
I read in www.pilot career center.com that QR is receiving as many as 140 planes plus interesting options in not so long term , so maybe it may be worth a wile to make a career move in QR get a rapid up grade and fly a nice airplane to nice places, or maybe not..........

QR A/C orders:
3 Airbus A330-200's,
4 Airbus A330-300's.

13 Boeing 777-300ERs (5 Options),
6 Boeing 777-200LRs,
7 Boeing 777-200LRF Freighters
30 Boeing 787's (30 Options)

5 Airbus A380's (increased order by 3 airframes at Paris Air Show 2007)

20 A350-800XWB's,
40 A350-900XWB's,
20 A350-1000XWB's.

Please comment.
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

lightchopp
11th Mar 2008, 22:24
Hi guys!! first post, i fly as cap the ERJ 145 with 8500 hrs on different planes 4000 jet and 4500 turboprop only 1500 jet pic and have recently been invited to go for the QR interview, and the sim assessment (at Doha) in April. What can i expect from the interview and sim ride?, any info would be appreciated.
Something else..... I read here QR is pretty strict on crew politics, but do you get to enjoy the job, how is the general atmosphere regarding flight deck and cabin crew, how is the pay and benefits do you get tickets, jump seat, Zed, insurance vacations ,can you make a living and still save some money as a single guy. The truth is that i want to move to the middle east so That i can make a career and save some money to retire after let's say 10, 15 years.(please don't mock me) it is my plan.
In witch plane in case i pass would i be put on?
Is it true that you can't date cabin crew? and if you do you get fired?.
I went to Dubai for the EK interview last month and did ok, is very nice too, but since i don't really know if i would be successful until 6 more weeks i might give a try at QR.
I read in www.pilot (http://www.pilot) career center.com that QR is receiving as many as 140 planes plus interesting options in not so long term , so it may be worth a wile to make a career move in QR get a rapid up grade since all the aircraft bought and fly a nice airplane to nice places, or maybe not..........?:confused:

QR A/C orders:
3 Airbus A330-200's,
4 Airbus A330-300's.

13 Boeing 777-300ERs (5 Options),
6 Boeing 777-200LRs,
7 Boeing 777-200LRF Freighters
30 Boeing 787's (30 Options)

5 Airbus A380's (increased order by 3 airframes at Paris Air Show 2007)

20 A350-800XWB's,
40 A350-900XWB's,
20 A350-1000XWB's.

Please comment.
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok:

loc22550
12th Mar 2008, 04:28
Comment:

Donīt rush yourself..!!!!!!!i think itīs
REALLY worth to wait 6 weeks to see if you have been sucessfull with EK...!
I like your remark about dating Cabin crew...?:hmm: i donīt known, simply because iīm not interesting anyway to have date with "kids".But yes i guess it must be possible..BUT be carefull if you decide to come here with the intention of marry one of them, you will have to deal with the CEO first!
Anway i donīt think this is a real issue in Q.A. and itīs certainly not the main problem here(dating or nor with CC:bored:)
There is other main important issue here(well in my humble opinion): Inflation,huge salary devaluation, roster, respect of people and their private life,upgrade,allocation of leave...just to give you a few examples.
Cheers and good luck for your interview.

Bufe01: decent accomodation in Doha for new joiner:uhoh:....:

2-3 bedroom flat.....10.000..QR=..2800..U$/month (not per year...!:ouch:)
Villa:minimum.....15000QR =..4000U$/month...probably unfurnished.
No Bufe01 donīt laugh..iīm not crazy or drunk this is the real(optimistic)figures!

Qatari515
12th Mar 2008, 10:04
Great, just what we need....

Guys joining whose main worries are if they can date cabin crew or not and who dream only of big airplane orders...

To answer your question Mr CRJ Captain...

If our wonderfull recruitment team follows the rules you will be offered a job as FO on the A330 or B777 fleet as you do not have the experience to join as a Capt in QR on a widebody fleet and the A320 does not really need Captains from outside at the moment.
And besides that, officially there should be no more DEC hiring UFN...Too many mishaps in the past with so called Captains from other airlines and too many overly and well qualified FOs waiting to be upgraded!

But then again, this is QATAR AIRWAYS and they might just offer you a left seat....

Good luck with the dating part mate, you ll need it!

bufe01
12th Mar 2008, 12:48
Tkanks loc,
that's what i thought.
What about chances of getting company housing?
Any QR pilot with a UK licence, I'd like to ask a couple of questions?
Many thanks

CU in July

Bufe01

Smirnoff N21
12th Mar 2008, 19:32
bufe01,
chances to get company accommodation being a new joiner are good.
2 bed room unfurnished or semi one 10000-11000QAR
3 BR one unfurnished or semi one up to 13000QAR
Villa starting from 15000 QAR
all prices per month. Decent one is very personal choice, all depends on your standards. Do you like to live in the ghetto? Aforesaid prices aren't in the best areas of the town. Good once 2 BR starts from 15000 QAR.
Good luck.

bufe01
12th Mar 2008, 19:34
Thanks for the info smirnoff!

A320PLT
12th Mar 2008, 20:12
Qatari 515 said
Great, just what we need....

Guys joining whose main worries are if they can date cabin crew or not and who dream only of big airplane orders...

To answer your question Mr CRJ Captain...

If our wonderfull recruitment team follows the rules you will be offered a job as FO on the A330 or B777 fleet as you do not have the experience to join as a Capt in QR on a widebody fleet and the A320 does not really need Captains from outside at the moment.
And besides that, officially there should be no more DEC hiring UFN...Too many mishaps in the past with so called Captains from other airlines and too many overly and well qualified FOs waiting to be upgraded!

But then again, this is QATAR AIRWAYS and they might just offer you a left seat....

Good luck with the dating part mate, you ll need it!

:D:D:D C'mon man he's just trying to get laid and fly big airplanes!! Wait a minute, aren't we all trying to get laid and fly big airplanes?:} I don't know about messing with the cabin crew in a place where you could lose your twins as a result...

A320PLT

Smirnoff N21
12th Mar 2008, 21:45
C'mon man he's just trying to get laid and fly big airplanes!! Wait a minute, aren't we all trying to get laid and fly big airplanes?:} I don't know about messing with the cabin crew in a place where you could lose your twins as a result...
Gotta disappoint you my friend most of the guys are here to support their families and secure the financial future in a way, not the Europeans of course. QR 515 is right wrong question at the wrong time at the wrong place.
Last thing we need here is another horny top gun causing everybody else great deal of troubles.
Take it as granted: Gentleman enjoys and remains discreet.

A320PLT
13th Mar 2008, 03:54
I'm not disappointed at all. Considering the tension in this thread about conditions and work rules it was some what amusing to see someone ask about dating flight attendants. It was even more amusing to read Q515's reply.

My response was nothing more than humor. Conditions everywhere are a mess and if you can find anything at all to poke some fun at it does help to take your mind off the pain and ill's of the industry we both find ourselves in.

A320PLT

salamalikum2
13th Mar 2008, 05:17
Smirnoff...i wish my financial future could be secured coming here....:\But when i see the Dollar(and so the Qatari riyal) going down every day...i doubt!!
(new low record of the Qatari riyal yesterday....time to think about our future..!)

Cpt. off the hook
13th Mar 2008, 07:36
fun & humour NOT ALLOWED in Qatar Airways. Parties better avoid it. There will be a snitch (Indian) and you'll get reported same day even if you didn't mean it in bad way simply cause they'll get promoted. Get the picture? It did cost some of f/o the upgrade. Do it like Qataris do, lock up yourself in your room with a hooker or start filling out the dating websites at all cities you fly to. Bottom line avoid dating CC like a plague. The moment you'll feel like a change they turn into monsters and start ruining your professional life. Instead of foot massage you'll get reported without even understanding why?
It's their way to pay you back. :ugh: They aren't even worth the hassle.