PDA

View Full Version : Ba Stewardess found dead

Porcupine
22nd Jan 2001, 22:25
Just found out that a BA LGW hostie has been found dead in the hotel in NBO, rumour control has that cause of death is DVT,this kid was only about 29 with no previous health probs, its a wake up call to us all, as if this proves to be true this is the second crew member to die from this in the last 2/3 months.Apparently this girl was on secondment from S/H at LHR.
My sympathes go to her family and friends and colleauges at LGW.

Viscount Sussex
23rd Jan 2001, 05:15
Excuse my ignorance, but what does DVT stand for?
Thanks.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Sick Squid
23rd Jan 2001, 05:48
DVT stands for Deep Vein Thrombosis; this is in laymans terms (all that I understand, not being a medic) a blood clot that can arise from (amongst other causes) long periods of inactivity in the limbs, perhaps exacerbated by the lower oxygen content at altitude. This clot when dislodged by movement such as leaving an aircraft after a long flight, may then travel to the arteries supplying major organs such as the heart or lungs, and block them.

Whatever the cause, it is a tragedy, and our thoughts must be with the family of the deceased.

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 23 January 2001).]

Tomb Raider
23rd Jan 2001, 06:11
Wrong,and wrong.
She was 22,and it was a heart attack.Got a letter in my mail-drop this morning.There was no mention of DVT,although I guess it is possible that a clot, when released, could have caused the attack.
Sympathies to her family and friends.

antibiase
23rd Jan 2001, 10:36
I am truly sorry to hear of this causalty.
If I may offer an opinion, I would like to suggest that she may have been a victim of her own undergarments i.e. panty-hose or something tight that she may have worn during the flight which may have restricted her blood flow.
I also believe that now would be a good time as any for all the cabin crew/ flight attendants to start checking their clothing before they operate any flights.

Porcupine
23rd Jan 2001, 13:14
TR,Thanks for putting me right,however 22years old and a heart attack, still very sad.

Lucifer
23rd Jan 2001, 18:24
Now I thought that tight undergarments were a good thing, since if you go in to have an operation, you are asked to wear tight stockings to prevent thrombosis in the legs during surgery and resulting inactivity.

Loony_Pilot
28th Jan 2001, 06:52
Hi,

Yeah the girls name is Kerry Weston, went to school with her, she was in the year below me if I recall correctly. Shes 21 or 22.
I never knew her personally but gather from friends that she was a pretty lovely girl, its a real shame and I hope they find out the cause quickly.

Meanwhile I trust everyone will join me in offering sincerest condolences to the family.

LP

Ex Oggie
28th Jan 2001, 22:50
Firstly, my sincerest condolances to all involved, whatever the cause of this tragedy.
Just a point regarding tight undergarments, as it may be of use to cabin staff. These should actually reduce the possibility of DVT, by increasing the blood flow from the small to larger circulation system, if I remember the Doc's words correctly.
This came about because of a discussion on the benefits or disadvantages of wearing a G suit, especially on long Trails.
Bye

edited for typo
------------------
"Press to Test ....... Release to Fire"

[This message has been edited by Ex Oggie (edited 28 January 2001).]

bmedcabinlad
30th Jan 2001, 19:28
I used to work with Kerry at Go. Have to say she was an absolute pleasure to work with and its a real tradegy whats happened. Her funeral is today (30th January). She will be greatly missed.

neutral99
24th Apr 2001, 04:26
According to the Mail on Sunday, the Inquest into Kerry Weston's death will be held at Hertford Town Hall on Wednesday 25 April.
Inquests are open to the public.

sonny boy
18th May 2001, 13:48
Does Anyone know the outcome of Kerrys inquest?

kfly
20th May 2001, 03:53
I read that apparently Kerry had being trying to give up smoking and had been prescribed the drug Zyban to help.

The inquest report suggested that the combination of Zyban plus the anti-malarial drugs she was taking contributed to her death.

Peanuts? anyone?
20th May 2001, 11:59
Poor girl, so young and what a shame.