PDA

View Full Version : Heli Sightseeing in Oman

swordfling
28th Dec 2007, 11:48
Anyone know of any operators who do sightseeing charters in Oman? I'm on holiday in Muscat, and don't fancy 500-600km trips in a 4x4, so just investigating the heli option (if there is one)...

Thanks.

whoateallthepies
28th Dec 2007, 13:48
There isn't one. But it is an amazing country to fly over. Stunning scenery.
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

bellsux
28th Dec 2007, 15:28
when I was there we saw nice... sand, rocks and sea.... not a sight seeing place... better to soak up the local atmosphere in the markets..

griffothefog
28th Dec 2007, 17:32
Oman is a changing country and with the spill over effect from the UAE and development ongoing, it will not be long before heli tours are the norm....watch this space :D

Thud_and_Blunder
28th Dec 2007, 21:45
bellsux,

Dunno which country you were in, but any of the following would beat most countries into a cocked hat:

- Anywhere on the Jebel Akhdar

- Dhofar after the khareef

- Wadi Bih, Salistam and anywhere else in the Musandam

...not to mention arguably the most photogenic location for the (tiny) capital imaginable (despite the official "beautification" programme).

In fact, if I was at all religious (which I ain't) then I've a fair idea that a certain spot in a certain wadi SE of the capital is as close as I'll ever see to paradise on this particular planet. Even more so when you overlay the reverb of the blades on the 205 that's coming in to pick you up... sigh.

whoateallthepies
29th Dec 2007, 06:35
Bellsux
Sorry you didn't enjoy the place but I can assure you that there is scenery on a "Grand Canyon" scale if you get out and about. Thud says it all.
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

swordfling
30th Dec 2007, 06:22
Thanks all. A quick search of PPRuNE and Google didn't show up any sightseeing operators, so I thought if anyone knows, you guys will!

One of the places we want to see is the canyon (described by some as Oman's Grand Canyon), but we're trying to avoid the long drive. It seems an obvious place for heli tours with such beautiful scenery and perhaps difficult terrain. The local souks are on the list too though!

I really do hope it doesn't get spoilt by too much development - I suspect more people are coming here to avoid all the development going on in Dubai and the rest of the UAE...

CDME
30th Dec 2007, 06:32
Oman is probably one of the most amazing tucked away jewels of the Middle East. It has some stunning beaches, awesome fishing, and the mountains are unbelievable to say the least.

I had the chance to fly around the place on one of my trips there in one of the Oman Police 214STs and some of it puts the Grand Canyon to shame. Went out fishing with some of the guys from the Police Air Wing in the harbour and caught some big ass fish on hand lines, no rod and reels for these dudes.

You need to get the chance to stay at the Al Bustan Palace hotel. Thats where I stayed when I was there and its something else. Food there is fantastic. Got to eat at the Police Officers club one night and it was the most amazing variety of middle eastern cuisine I had ever tasted.

So bottom line, its an awesome country, go for a drive out around the coast by Marina Bander Al Rowdha and you wont be dissapointed.

There are only a few helo operators there and these are either RAFO, Police Air Wing or the Royal Flight. Every year they do spraying of the date crops but thats with a chartered helo and flown by a South African guy called Johan Nell from the Dept of Ag in Sth Africa.

Hope that helps.