PDA

View Full Version : Casual Flying Instructors.....

Gearupandorrf
28th Dec 2007, 07:56
Hi guys and girls,

Having a think about doing an FI Rating (in the Melbourne area), with a view to trying to source work on a casual/ part- time basis on the weekends and one day per week.

Based on this, could any of you help with the following?

1. What would be the chances of getting casual/ part- time work at the of
the Rating?

2. What kind of ballpark hourly rate would be applicable?

3. Do Schools still only pay for hours actually flown, or are they now paying
an hourly rate for the time that you are "on duty"? For instance- you
show up for work and the Weather's crap and you can't fly.

4. Any recommendations for choosing a School in Melbourne, based on:
- The quality of Instruction and;
- History of employing FI's that they've trained?

5. Lastly, for the other part of the week, I'm going to be at Uni doing an
Accounting Degree (now in my early 30's and working on a "plan B" if the
Flying doesn't work out- would a potential Employer take a dim view of this?
On the other hand, I guess it's probably none of their business.

Any thoughts/ advice/ opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Gearup.

Cap'n Arrr
28th Dec 2007, 08:31
1. What would be the chances of getting casual/ part- time work at the of
the Rating?

Fairly good. Lot of demand for instructors. Try RVAC maybe (not too familiar with melb)

2. What kind of ballpark hourly rate would be applicable?

Depends where you work. I've heard numbers from $15/hr to $40/hr for Jnr Gr III

3. Do Schools still only pay for hours actually flown, or are they now paying
an hourly rate for the time that you are "on duty"? For instance- you
show up for work and the Weather's crap and you can't fly.

Depends on the employer again. Most schools I know of only pay you for flights and briefings as a casual, some also pay you for desk shifts/washing planes/50 hourlys and if you're really lucky there might be one or two out there who pay you for all the hours when you're rostered on. Someone from the melb area might be able to give you a bit more help here, alternatively, look up the General Aviation Pilot (Fixed Wing) award on AFAP, and there's a list of schools that agree with and pay the award. These are generally a little better, but not always.

4. Any recommendations for choosing a School in Melbourne, based on:
- The quality of Instruction and;
- History of employing FI's that they've trained?

Pick one you'd be happy to be at as a student. As I said, I don't know much about Mel, but if you're looking to move up in instructing they should at least have some multi IFR training and a twin or two (at least access to one). To be honest, it'd be worth going for one that does some charter on the side, like scenics, as just plain instruction can really grate on you sometimes.

The majority of schools prefer to employ their own instructors, however not a big deal if you have some previous commercial experience. That said, your school may not hire you, it comes down to IF you meet their standard, IF they like you and IF theres a spot available. Some IR courses have say 6 students, but the school may only have 3 positions available at the end. I did my instructor rating at a completely different school to the one I work at now, didn't affect me in the least. Just be adjustable to new ops procedures etc.

5. Lastly, for the other part of the week, I'm going to be at Uni doing an
Accounting Degree (now in my early 30's and working on a "plan B" if the
Flying doesn't work out- would a potential Employer take a dim view of this?
On the other hand, I guess it's probably none of their business.

Depends again on the employer. Be honest when you talk to them, let them know you won't be available on X days per week, and see how they respond. Aero Clubs and the like probably won't mind, but don't expect a job at FTA/China Southern/Singapore FC with limited availability. It also depends on how much experience you bring to the school. If you were, say, an aerobatics champion with 3000 hours of multi IFR command, then you can pretty much ask for whatever working days you want. If you're fresh out of school, you won't have as much wiggle room.

It is partly their business in that you should tell them from the start that you will only be available weekends/holidays because you will be at uni. A decent employer, and more likely one of the club-type schools will be ok with this, but if the school deals in 24/7 full time training with a large number of students, then it will make a difference.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Yarrr!:ok:

VH-XXX
28th Dec 2007, 09:27
Try Tooradin as an RA-Aus instructor. Can get instructor rating in 20 hours. They are advertising on AFAP website at the moment.

overhere
28th Dec 2007, 10:37
I currently work as casual instructor. I'm paid award rates ($50 an hour) - thats if you have NVFR or MECIR, I think it's around $46 without for G3, goes up for G2/1 etc.

Most places pay casuals by flying hour, where I work also pays an hourly rate for briefings & solo supervision.

There are places paying daily rates, however there's a lot more earning potential if you choose by the hour.

Don't work for under award (the above quoted rates are well below award).

There is a shortage of instrcutors, even S3 instructors are now easily finding work. Plenty of weekend work where I am (although that's not MEL!)

I work weekends and am yet to earn under $300 after tax, can easily achieve 6-10 hours a week.

Good luck!

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Dec 2007, 10:53
"I'm paid award rates ($50 an hour)"

Hmmm, interesting!

I was paid $36/flying hour when moonlighting as a casual charter pilot peddling a C402 around the north in 1988!

That's 20 years ago.

Dr :8

overhere
28th Dec 2007, 11:10
You're telling me.. hence why so many of us only do it as a casual job on top of other jobs!

sprocket check
28th Dec 2007, 23:10
I was paid $36/flying hour when moonlighting as a casual charter pilot peddling a C402 around the north in 1988!

This is not just aviation, I have a foot in other areas and the rates in 1998 for a particular task were $45/h. Today, it is still $45/h. I heard the other day: They can't afford to pay any more than $25/h!!! I replied: Then they can't afford to do the job.

There will never be a shortage of people willing to take the gig to get ahead though.

The other side of the coin is, if you charge cheap, you will be considered cheap, and so will the quality of your work be considered cheap.

And you will only get the cheap jobs.

just my 2 cents.

sc