PDA

View Full Version : FAA-->JAA Frozen ATPL

yaggi
27th Dec 2007, 16:45
Hello All,

I'm interest in converting my FAA license to a JAA license anywhere in
Spain. I currently hold a ME/SE/IR Commercial license in USA.

Could someone point me in the right direction to the best and cheapest
schools to attend.

Thank you

LEVC
10th Jan 2008, 10:50
Hi, i would suggest you check Aerofan in Madrid, their prices are quite good.

For the conversion and how to plan it i strongly advise you to get the book from Clive Hughes "how to become a comercial pilot" (not sure about the exact title), in the book he explains the different ways of getting your licence, and tips on saving money, it's kept updated and will save you time and money.

About the conversion, if i was you i would ask for a JAR PPL based on your FAA ticket, then ATPL theory followed by a reduced modular CPL (if you hold ICAO CPL you only do the training that the FTO's Chief pilot judges necessary), and then ME+IR where you'll get a reduction in hours because of you holding ICAO ME+IR.

Doing it this way you'll get a jar licence from scratch , so no restrictions.
In the other hand, if you do a straight conversion, you'll get a licence which other JAR countries might not recognize because they are not obliged to (as stated on JAR's for converted licences), and on the licence it will say it's a converted licence.

The only difference is that you will have to expend a litle more money, but i think it's worth.

All this is very well explained in the book, do a search in amazon and you'll find it.

Good luck