PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating Poll

mb2ai
27th Dec 2007, 15:58
Hi I wanted to make a poll about which employers charge you upfront 20k(ish) for your type rating..... but I couldnt make one so I made an ordinary thread instead!

This is all assuming you have just graduated from a UK FTO with a fATPL, and just spent 75K GBP getting there......

So Ill start us off, and please corect me if im wrong...

BA do not charge you for a Type Rating

This is what Ive heard from many FTOs......and

Ryan Air do charge you (20K!) for a Type Rating.

Finals19
27th Dec 2007, 20:59
BA will not hire you with 250hrs (unless I am badly mistaken)

But you don't have to fork out £20K and work for RYR for a few years to get there

There are numerous other (equally as worthy) ways - instructing>air taxi>turbo prop>jets

Its called gaining experience over a variety of aircraft and through a variety of different types of flying. Something that is rather overlooked nowadays!

27th Dec 2007, 21:23
you are badly mistaken, BA do hire 250 hours pilot from Oxford, Jerez and put them onto the B737 or A320.

Nichibei Aviation
28th Dec 2007, 01:36
They are retiring their B737's, don't think they are taking any on the 737.

bri1980
28th Dec 2007, 08:17
you are badly mistaken, BA do hire 250 hours pilot from Oxford, Jerez and put them onto the B737 or A320.

This is not what I heard from a former Oxford student: after his interview, BA said come back when you have 500 hours TT!

TowerDog
28th Dec 2007, 09:08

How times have changed:

Before I was able to park my arse in a jet the first time, I had over 5000 hours of flying time.:sad:

TwoTone-7
28th Dec 2007, 09:44
A good friend started BA from Monarch in August. There were 4 others fresh out of Oxford. Although they were all BA Gatwick not LHR.

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 18:16
BA cream off low hour guys from Oxford, and in some cases Cabair, FTE & CTC. It's like an old boys club!

Virgin won't make you pay for TR, but other than them and BA you will end up paying somehow, if it's a salary reduction while decreasing term bond, or salary reduction each month to cover training.

I only have anecdotal evidence as to which ones do what, it's not robust so if you want it PM me or post here and i'll put it up.

Horgy

asuweb
28th Dec 2007, 18:46
Although BA don't "charge" for a type rating, you are still on a reduced salary for the first 5 years if I'm not mistaken.

D O Guerrero
28th Dec 2007, 18:53
As I understand it BA, BMI, Flybe, TCA and XL do not make you pay for a TR. Flybe, TCA and XL bond you in one way or another but I believe no cash is required - you're just bonded to them for a period and if you leave during that period you have to pay back the TR pro rata.

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 19:29
Well there you go, that leaves no one. I know bmi take a bond from you now - obviously BA do as well! The days of not having to pay for the TR are more or less over folks. Although Flybe bond, the salary is so poor your better taking a TR getting the higher salary!

Horgy

Aerospace101
28th Dec 2007, 21:00
BA - TR paid for. No bond. (Start on reduced salary yr1-5 30K>50K)

Flybe - TR paid for. 3 yr Bond (15K)

Thomsonfly/TUI - TR paid for. 5 yr bond. (Start on reduced salary "second officer" 38K)

bmi/easyjet - GECAT TR ~20K

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 21:02
Those figures may well be correct, what i'm saying is that if you take a £7,000pa year lower salary with a 3 year bond, as a new entrant, then you lose £21,000 over the 3 years in salary, which is the cost of your TR in the first place.

Horgy

Aerospace101
28th Dec 2007, 21:26
MrHorgy I dont really know what point you are trying to make.

No type ratings are free.

In fact no training (except for the military) is free. Back in the glory days BA cadets were on reduced salary to the tune of 20K on starting, so all their training costs were recovered by the airline over the first 5 yrs.

As a student it is far better to have your training / type rating paid for by the airline and be on a reduced salary rather than get huge loans (if able) and take all the risk. If you have a spare ~80K, then it makes sense to pay for everything upfront and be on a massive starting salary ~45K (bmi). Reality is that most people dont have 80K in the bank to spend!

MrHorgy
28th Dec 2007, 21:30
Forgive me i'm not seeking to make a point - I just found during training my parents demands of "which airline offers free type ratings" and my constant search gave me problems trying to see wood from trees.

Horgy

Aerospace101
28th Dec 2007, 21:42
The best deals on type ratings would be with BA & TUI. In the case of ba they pay for: 48hr JOC course (~6K) + Type Rating (~20K) + salary from day 1 of TR training. I guess thats why everyone wants to work for them, rather than RYR.

mb2ai
30th Dec 2007, 19:33
hi all,

thanks for your very informative responses..

Id like to say, that (from what I know), theres (obviously) no such thing as a free lunch etc...and anywhere you go your going to get hit with the training costs one way or another...

Why I am concerned is:

I want to do OATs, Cabair or FTE integrated next year.... and theyre all trying to sell me 50K loans, ok, so I go down that road.... and graduate in 2010..

But wait, you have to borrow 25K more , bringing my grand total of incurred debt to 100K.

huh.

So, back to the poll....

Every airline gets you one way or another? Right?

but RYR and Easy will charge you the cash upfront...the other will tend to bond you, or put you on reduced salary...

Thanks