PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Excel question..

Practice Auto 3,2,1
27th Dec 2007, 12:29
Once again im a little stuck with Excel. This hopefully will be an easy one and I'm just missing something simple.

I've got a basic spreadsheet for money in and out a a groups bank account. People pay in either by direct bank transfer or PayPal. Now PP charge a fee and to keep the figures right, Ive got to allow two columns for these I then have a final 'Total In' column which simply takes away these fees from the original amount. Now the formula im using when copied down the column leaves any lines not filled in as £0.00 is there any way of making Excel just leave those cells empty until something is entered in the cells of the corresponding row.

I've make a quick PS of the Spreadsheet that I'm talking about:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5113/excel1ju6.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=excel1ju6.jpg)

Hope that makes sence, and thanks in advance for any help.

Whirlygig
27th Dec 2007, 13:04
If it's just a matter of uncluttering the look of the spreadsheet by removing the zeroes, then go to Tools. Option, View tab and untick the zero values box.

Hope that's what you're after.

Cheers

Whirls

cdtaylor_nats
27th Dec 2007, 13:06
You can do it with an if statement.

Say A1 is the cell you want a blank in if B1 is 0.00

put the formula =IF(B1=0.00," ",B1)

If B1 is 0 then A1 will be a space, if it isn't then A1 will equal B1

Jhieminga
27th Dec 2007, 19:40
I would've gone for the IF statement as well, just slightly different:

IF(B1<>"";B1;"")

No need to put a space in there, Excel can identify an empty field this way and also leave the cell empty if B1 is empty

Keef
27th Dec 2007, 20:33
If you just want fields with zero value not to display £0.00, all you need to do is to set up the "field format" accordingly.

Click on the range of cells where you want to do this,
Click Format - Cells - Number - Custom
Click in the box where it says "Type ... General"
Enter £ #,##0.00 ;£(#,##0.00);

That's pound space # comma # # 0 point 0 0 space semicolon pound bracket # comma # # 0 point 0 0 bracket semicolon space

£123.45 will display as £ 123.45 space
-£123.45 as £(123.45)
£0.00 as

Practice Auto 3,2,1
27th Dec 2007, 21:31
Thanks everyone for your help, but Keef, thank you especially, that was exactly what I was after.

Cheers

Happy New Year all!

:ok: