PDA

View Full Version : CPL Cross Country Qualification Flight

bri1980
26th Dec 2007, 18:38
Hi folks,

Is it possible to to do 350 miles with 2 intermediate landings etc. during your PPL and count it for both the PPL and CPL cross country solo qualification flights?

I have asked around at my flying school but the best answer that I have had is 'I don't see why not'. I don't have a copy of Lassors handy and I struggled to find this info on the CAA/JAA websites.

I did a search on pprune for this but didn't turn anything up-thats probably more to do with my limited ability to use the search facility than anything else!

Thanks in advance.

Bri

portsharbourflyer
26th Dec 2007, 19:07
The only thing to consider is most schools will impose limits as to the weather conditions that they will sign a solo student off for a cross country qualifier; the limits are much more stringent than the legel minimums for a PPL holder.

As an instructor I use to find that you can be waiting several weeks to get a day that is suitable to send a student off on the 150NM solo cross country. So trying to find a day where you could send someone on the 300 Nm cross country while limited to solo student minimas as opposed to PPL minimas could take some time in the UK.

bri1980
26th Dec 2007, 19:28
Agreed on that point. It was actually someone at the school who asked me if I would like to do this, but then noone could figure nout if I could legally count it for both.

Think I will probably give the CAA a call in the new year!

Cheers
B

mcgoo
26th Dec 2007, 21:20
I would definately want it in writing off the CAA, in the US you cannot do this, if you use a flight for one license or rating, it cannot be used for another

Whirlygig
26th Dec 2007, 22:07
I'm assuming that this is a modular course in which case, I can't see the cross-country flight counting for both.

In order to enrol on commercial ground studies, one must hold a PPL and, in order to undertake a commercial flying course, one must have completed and passed all the theoretical exams. The flying course is a regulated course and certain "tasks" must be completed within that course. I shouldn't think that a cross-country flight carried out for one, would be valid for another.

Whoever it was at the school who suggested this course of action, ask them for a reference. I can't see the CAA agreeing.

Cheers

Whirls

LH2
26th Dec 2007, 23:29
As an instructor I use to find that you can be waiting several weeks to get a day that is suitable to send a student off on the 150NM solo cross country

Out of curiosity, what about if said CPL student is instrument rated? Does the cross country still have to be in blue skies VFR, or can you go IMC? (or cut down on the crap and file airways :})

mcgoo
26th Dec 2007, 23:56
It doesn't matter, the CPL cross country requirement is for a 300nm VFR flight.

wbryce
27th Dec 2007, 12:15
some schools fly the cross country route with you dual before your solo so doubling the route will ultimately double the time and costs and make you finish the course a little bit later than really necessary, remember after your PPL you have 100hrs to complete, inevitably your going to be doing your 300nm route then... :)

FlyingIsFun
27th Dec 2007, 13:36
I would agree with wbryce and for economic reasons do the 300nm trip as part of the 100hr P1 required for as entry to the CPL.

The 300nm trip is not done as part of the CPL training course, it is an experience requirement.

bri1980
27th Dec 2007, 19:34
Thanks for the replies folks. I still have not found anything that categorically stops one doing this. The reason for considering this is partly that I still need the P1/solo nav time for the PPL and the qualifying cross country. Rather than embark on some random cross country flight to build hours and experience we were discussing doing the longer flight to simultaneously take care of all of the required experience/hours/P1 time and cross country for the PPL as well as the CPL.

I'm sure I probably will do a 300 mile flight in the 100 hours, but I thought it would be nice to have this requirement 'ticked off' early!

Cheers

B

BigAl's
28th Dec 2007, 19:30
This may seem like an odd - or even bordering on the silly - question, but looking in LASORS, the 300nm xc is defined as just that (with your stops at two aerodormes etce etc). Now, does that mean I can fly 100nm, stop, fly another 100 to my next stop off then fly the 100 back home? OR do I have to get the worlds largest compass out and draw a 300nm radius from home airfield and fly off to somewhere that is litterally 300nm miles away, not just the route distance as in the first case?

Hope that makes sense and yes, I'm sure it has been covered somewhere by someone before :}

bri1980
28th Dec 2007, 19:54
BigAl's

As I understand, the total route distance, i.e. the round trip from home to aerodromes 1 and 2 and home again must be 300 nm (or 150 nm for the PPL).

I agree though-Lasors is not totally clear on either requirement hence my original question. From Lasors it seems that the 300 mile flight can be done in the PPL and can count towards the required flight experience for the CPL as well.

I will ask the CAA when they reopen in Jan!

B

mad_jock
28th Dec 2007, 20:04
If your instructor is willing to sign you off to go and do it.

Just go and do it. It doesn't really matter what the CAA decide.

You can always do another one later.

Then main thing is it will be brillant fun!!!!!

bri1980
28th Dec 2007, 20:37
Mad jock,

Actually-great point! My instructor is willing to sign it off and is in fact encouraging the venture! I'm up for it as well. It would just be nice to know if it can count for both.

Of course the problem will be getting the weather to do it-especially at this time of year!

B

skyhigher
28th Dec 2007, 21:39
bri1980,

would it not be better and more enjoyable to leave the 300 nm crosscountry until later in your hour build, or double up with someone? why would you want to 'get it out the way'? wait until you have some extra experience and confidence and go somewhere new, somewhere you would not normally venture to without good reason. perhaps over a large water crossing, or into a new FIR.

thats what i did, and greatly enjoyed it. as well as being somewhere different, you can use your developed skills with nav aids etc on the route, thus getting some valuable experience for the cpl!

just a thought.more than often in aviation, the easiest way is not always the best.

just my contribution.

wbryce
28th Dec 2007, 23:55
I would second skyhighs sentiments; for my 300nm flight; i had the hours to burn so I done a 1200nm trip, Scotland to France and back...doing flights like this push your boundaries, make you more confident and you take alot from them. the choice is ultimately yours though...

bri1980
29th Dec 2007, 09:18
Some great points folks. I will take them all into consideration, and let you know how I get on!

Thanks

B

MidgetBoy
29th Dec 2007, 09:28
In Canada, the 300 and 150nm is supposed to be great circle distance. (Not 100% sure on the 150nm since I know mine wasn't. I heard it was due to us being enclosed by mountains so it was route length for the 150)