PDA

View Full Version : Advice on flying to Temora for their Flying Days

AirBumps
26th Dec 2007, 09:03
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to fly from Melbourne up to Temora for their flying day 9/10 of Febuary. I'm guessing however that theres a sh!t load of people with the same idea, and I was wondering if anybody here who's done it before can tell me how it went and what to look out for?

Tie down costs? Best times to arrive? accomodation? Any of that sort of stuff...

Cheers,
Airbumps

Berner
26th Dec 2007, 09:12
I did it a couple of years ago on a PPL nav from BK in a 172. Bloody good day. Unless they've tightened things up, you'll be able to spend the day out under your wing right next to the strip. Got there about 30 minutes before scheduled start time and had to fight with the roulettes and everyone else come leaving time. Didn't stay the night. Enjoy

TLAW
26th Dec 2007, 09:33
I'm planning on doing this later in 2008 - were there any problems getting fuel?

bentleg
26th Dec 2007, 10:26
I'm guessing however that theres a sh!t load of people with the same idea, and I was wondering if anybody here who's done it before can tell me how it went and what to look out for?

Tie down costs? Best times to arrive? accomodation? Any of that sort of stuff...

It's a great day - highly recommended. CTAF can be busy with arrivals but quite manageable. Get there no later than 1030 as the flying display starts at 1100. Aero club often provides a ground frequency and marshalls on flying days - there is usually a NOTAM. No tie down costs. I have always flown in and out on the same day. Accommodation could be an issue. Suggest you book in advance. Some accommodation links here (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/visit/Temora.cfm).

I'm planning on doing this later in 2008 - were there any problems getting fuel?

Aeroclub (http://www.temoraaeroclub.com/) 02 6977 2733 usually has Avgas. The museum (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/) almost certainly has Avtur.

Flyingblind
26th Dec 2007, 10:38
Had some business i had to drive to attend too in the local area during a Temora A/S, could not for the life of me find a vacant place anywhere within 100 km's of Temora.

Mind you that was when 3 Hornets visited last year, so as bentleg said accom can be an issue.

Wanderin_dave
26th Dec 2007, 21:45
Did it 4-5 weeks ago. Dead easy, as has been said get in before 10:30 to make sure you don't miss the display.

Was busy, but not too busy (5 or so in circuit). Check the museum's website for a quick run down. But as i said it's straight forward. Even if you're running a little late and the display is on, they don't close the airspace. It's a very friendly affair.

If you're landing on 35 make sure it's a greaser.....EVERYONE is watching!!!! :}

boardpig
27th Dec 2007, 02:08
Been doing this quite regularly from Syd for a while now. Get in before 10.30 as said before. We didnt and had to hold 10 dme while a sptifire roared up and down the runway.
Parking is easy, fuel, never had a problem. Accomodation : book well in advance. We generally book 3 - 4 wks in advance and even then its filling up nicely.
Also as mentioned previously, if you have to land on the N/S runway make it a good one, all eyes will be on you.
They had a radio operator last time on the ctaf, he gave us info etc, made joining the circut a breeze, just give him a shout when you get there.

Wanderin_dave
27th Dec 2007, 02:19
Yeah, I won't say anything about the white and blue YAK 18 that dropped in from about 18'' above the runway and bounced it's way to a halt behind the line up of gorgeous metal!!! There was an audible gasp from the crowd. :}

Ah we've all done it..... i know i have!!! Just glad there wasn't 3000 people 50m away watching when i did. Poor bugger :\

Captain Sand Dune
27th Dec 2007, 04:43
If you're going to re-fuel at the aeroclub I would advise you ascertain the method of payment they require BEFORE you get there. Knew of one guy who got a re-fuel and was then advised that only cash was acceptable as payment.
The museum people will be able to put you in contact with a more flexible re-fueller.
Other than that, a great weekend to be had!:ok:

Phil O'Rupp
27th Dec 2007, 08:33
I flew in from Moorabbin about a year ago. Planned about a month in advance but couldn't get any accommodation in Temora itself so tried Cootamundra. Ended up staying at the Cootamundra Gardens Motel, run bu a lovely couple who picked us up from the airport in the evening and drove us back next morning for the short hop over to Temora. Arrived at Temora about half an hour before the display started and no problems with fuelling or parking (but as mentioned before - check on the method of payment). Bring a folding chair and set up at the Aero Club, it's much less crowded than the museum area.

UBE
27th Dec 2007, 09:38
Do they have any problems with camping under your own wing?

bentleg
27th Dec 2007, 10:30
Do they have any problems with camping under your own wing?

I have seen it done on several occasions. A call to the aeroclub would clarify it if you are doubtful. There are showers at the aero club.

AirBumps
27th Dec 2007, 12:15
Thanks for the tips guys,

One of the posters above mentioned an operator on the CTAF frequency - has anybody else expirenced this? I guess it makes sense to throw somebody on to try and maintain some degree of order with such a diverse range of aircraft comming and going, I'm just curious if there are any limiations on appointing your own ATCer for the weekend?? :confused:

Are there displays on most of the day? I'm comming from Moorabbin so its going to be a 2.5 hour flight up there for me in my little Archer III. I'm thinking I may just fly up on the Friday afternoon and leave mid day Sunday.

Thanks for your help guys!

TLAW
27th Dec 2007, 13:16
Yep - great advice in this thread - thanks all!

Wanderin_dave
27th Dec 2007, 22:05
Good points all, except i've got to disagree with one. While the Aeroclub is less crowded still go to the museum.
They get your $15 support (absolute bargain for what you get and bloody well earnt by the museum). Plus it's all on right in front of you. I arrived about 10am and got a great seat on the fence line easily.
Come on, if you're gonna enjoy what has got to be Australia's best aviaition museum then at least SUPPORT IT!!! :ugh:

kiwiblue
27th Dec 2007, 23:15
I was over in Temora a couple of months ago (drove over)... as others have said accommodation needs to be booked well in advance. Having said that though, I arrived without reservations and did manage to find very basic digs at an old hotel on the main street at a very reasonable price. Can't remember the name of it though... it's around about the middle of the main drag and as I mentioned, don't expect anything salubrious.

I had my hand-held with me before and during the displays, and can confirm there is indeed a museum operator on the CTAF freq providing traffic and local conditions.

The operator also provides a ground freq to arrivals to assist with parking. Almost all of the aircraft I saw arriving that day simply didn't acknowledge the ground freq call from the operator, and then failed to change to ground when necessary. It frustrated the hell out of me as an observer, so can only imagine the frustration felt by that CTAF operator trying to sort taxiing GA arrivals from taxiing display aircraft. Strikes me that it would be only a courtesy to do as requested, change to ground clear of the runways and be provided the information and directions you need to safely reach the refuelling/parking areas without creating additional difficulties for other airport operators.

mostlytossas
27th Dec 2007, 23:36
I used to be a member of the aero club there and lived in a nearby town before moving interstate, and they at that time had a small caravan/ camping park right on site behind the main apron with showers and wc etc. Used a lot by glider fraternity while on summer camps/ comps etc.
Would be worth your while making a phone call to the club or the council to see if still in use ,keys to showers etc.

Thermal Bandit
28th Dec 2007, 22:46
Some people start arriving on the Friday  it is a great weekend.
Aerodrome Accommodation
There is a camping ground/caravan park at Temora aerodrome but it is currently a mess; the council have been doing some work on it, great plans but weeks of heavy rain in recent times have upset progress. They now also have a month of gliding camps and competitions prior to the management of the camping facility changing from the Aero Club who have done a great job over many years, to a new provider; I believe the change over date is early February.

It was always been a great place to camp, the Aero Club has great atmostphere, and a great place to meet other aviation enthusiasts.

I was going to include a photo of the camping area two weeks ago but it wont let me, it was a flooded bog!

Jay Bo
29th Dec 2007, 00:25
Never had a problem paying for fuel by credit card