PDA

View Full Version : Concept of a rest room in new long range aircrafts

MIT
8th Nov 2000, 12:00
I'm working on a study about organizing the rest rooms on board for pilots in the case of very long range aicrafts like the future A3XX. I would like to have your opinions, suggestions on what would you think necessary in this type of rest rooms. All kinds of information you would like to say about the comfort, the space you request to have a good and rapid rest, all sorts of things you have in mind and things you should need. It would help this study and make a big progress, taking the request of pilots to create things for them. An online sample survey to make human factor in aeronautics progress.
Thanks for your help
MIT

penumbra
9th Nov 2000, 19:30
I suggest the following as an absolute minimum...

Bar
Pool table
Double bed

(Oh all right, it's not a serious answer but I needed a chuckle)

Pen.

bums on seats
11th Nov 2000, 01:10
interesting question! Are you anticipating answers from scheduled or charter operations?

MIT
12th Nov 2000, 00:26
I think that sheduled or charter operations is not influencing my research but if you have the sentiment that it's not tell me. What all pilots think and would like to see in this type of cabin is my concern.

Thanks for your help
MIT

Xenia
12th Nov 2000, 01:48
And here goes...Xenia ;p
MIT...uhmmm....why don't u ask pilots?? agree with penumbra...bars, pool table and double bed!! :) ... also a computer with internet access...you know just in case you've got pprunes onboard!!! :)
I've a question for you...is the same rest area available for cabin crew? or are u planning to make us go without a proper rest?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
I wonder what the rest of the team think about it...come on NGP, Flyblue, PSR777, Chilled, Slaag (where are u mate? going long haule?)let's give our opinions about the F/D resting room :)...what will you put and what you will avoid in there?? :) :) :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

flyblue
12th Nov 2000, 02:33
To be honest F/As use it mostly. I have seldom seen a F/D going to rest! Some Capts even avoid going to the loo, just in case (not joking, it's what they say!)
I am quite happy about B777 LCR.
What do you need...a bed, that's all!

MIT
12th Nov 2000, 14:09
Thanks for your sense of humour.
To answer your questions, I'm doing this study also on pilots but I think both of the 2 communities are important for the conception of the rest cabin because it will be use by both. Do you think pilots and cabin crew could use the same rest cabin or not.
Could u explain F/As and F/D rest room?
Previously, I studied pilots alertness during long haul flights. They better go to the loo or made a rest because view of the results, it's not so good. 70% of incident in flight is due to a decree of alertness from pilots (From Nasa's information). They'd better have a rest during flights, more in the case of very long haul >18 hours.

You say that a bed is necessary, ok. Is it too small, not big enough. Can u sleep well. Does other factors influence the quality of your rest like vibrations, noises, light...

Source of discomfort often experienced by pilots are vibration, noise and low cabin air humidity.
Aircraft vibration and noise are usually well within toleration limits, are you in accord with that. In flight measurements have not revealed levels above 85 dba, a level at which ear protection is advisable because of the risk of acoustic trauma therefore in the case of a resting room this level is very important and it introduces stress in circadian rythm (melatonin rythm essentially). Do you feel such desynchronosis, do you relax completetly, do you feel that the rest your doing in activity is optimum?
Do you suffer from dryness of the cabin air.

Thanks for your replies.

Does sombody have photograph of such cabin rest. Could u mail them. Thank u very much for your help.
MIT

chilled
13th Nov 2000, 19:02
MIT I don't fly long haul so its not that easy for me to say what crew would need. However I would think that they would need a large enough bed to be comfortable on, in an area which had low lights and insulated against noise.

Hope that is of some help to you. Good luck with the study.

flyblue
14th Nov 2000, 03:49
Mit
The most discomfortable thing for me is the air dryness. As for the noise, it is not that bad and you can use earplugs if you are too sensitive.
The bunks I think may be a little narrow for a big man.
No problem for anyone on the same rest area for F/A and pilots.
In my company pilots are not allowed to use the crewrest unless they are 3 or more.
They can however take a nap in the F/D (the seats can recline), so they can be fully alert for approach and landing.
The lights are low already.
I must say I am quite happy about it! I sleep like a baby, even if only for one hour, and can offer a much better service! Some companies don't seem to understand the importance of a good rest for cabin crew.

I will send you the drawing in the manual and will look for a photograph. Not immediately though, be patient!

[This message has been edited by flyblue (edited 13 November 2000).]

Dangerous_Dave
16th Nov 2000, 18:38
Anywhere that lets you sitdown/liedown away from the passengers is a must on a long-range aircraft. It is just somewhere to relax and hopefully get some rest. The BA long-rage 777's have a makeshift bunk area under the floor for F/A, and one of the first class seats has been removed and been replaced with a bunk. Message me if you would like to see plans.

MIT
17th Nov 2000, 13:22
Could you send me the plan by mail
Thanks for your help
MIT