PDA

View Full Version : Sloooow Computer

Tosh McCaber
25th Dec 2007, 21:58
Here I am, staying with my in-laws in Houston for Christmas. Their computer is verrrry slow. Specs: Pentium 4 CPU, 2.4 GH, 256mh RAM. 37Gb storage, 28Gb used. It’s a Dell, about 4 years old, not used all that often. It’s got AOL as their internet service provider, with MacAfee as the Anti Virus programme. There are no signs of Virus activity. I’ve given it a thorough going over with Adaware, Spybot, and Hijack This- no rogue activity found. I’ve checked the Registry, seems fine.

Two things spring to mind. Firstly, the RAM should be increased- normal activity in the Task Manager seems to be in the 400- 600 Mb range. I don't know how much this is slowing the machine down, but it must help. What would you go for 512Mb or 1024Mb?

Also, the Startup Menu seems to have a lot of programmes on it. I would like to know whether I can take off from the Startup, links such as those for AOL and MacAfee, Skype, MSN Messenger, and Microsoft Webcam. My questions are-

a) do these startup components only slow down the start process, or do they drag down the computer whilst it is working afterwards? and

b) if I delete the Skype and Messenger from startup, will the in-laws be able to pick up incoming messages, without switching the programmes back on beforehand?

Is there anything else that I may be missing?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Tosh

Tarq57
26th Dec 2007, 00:23
It appears to me that RAM is the big shortfall. Doubling it to 512 will make a huge difference. I don't know if it would make much more difference- or if it's possible- to increase it beyond that, as with the age of the machine other things start to become the limiting factor.
Everything that loads when the computer starts will continue to have a performance hit after the start process.
Any security applications should be enabled at start, anything else can usually be disabled. IM's won't be received, until the messenger program is subsequently opened. Links to AOL I'm not sure, it's the internet provider, don't know how that one works. From what I've read AOL are pretty notorious for running stuff that shouldn't be required, try disabling it and see.
Any other entries you aren't sure about, Google for a recommendation, or have a look at a tweak site, like BlackViper's, or PCPitstop. I've found both provide excellent information, particularly the former (tutorial and good explanations), the latter runs an Activex that performs automated diagnostics and tuneup advice. Takes about 5min.

bnt
26th Dec 2007, 00:50
Also, being that low on RAM, it's likely there's a lot of swapping going on, which in turn can lead to disk fragmentation. It's even more likely if the disk is nearly full. If Defrag Analyze shows a high fragmentation percentage, you may be able to help by freeing up space and defragmenting.

allthatglitters
26th Dec 2007, 04:54
check to see if theres any space left on the hard drive, could be lmost full. Download files onto cd's or dvd's and take them off the hard drive.
Also could be a good idea to get a larger hard drive and start wit a fresh install on the new drive and transfer required files accross or piggy back the old drive.
Can highly recomend pcpitstop optimize.

carholme
26th Dec 2007, 09:32
There are several "memory configurators" online where you just have to enter the model etc of your computer and you will be able to find out what id the max RAM allowed as well as how many slots you have left.

Have you done some of the basics like Disk Clean, Defrag, dump old System Restore points which are memory hogs.

Download and install a small programme CCleaner for a quick removal of a lot of crap.

If you are not familiar with many of the startup entries in msconfig, download another small programme called Startuplite and run it and it will give you immediate good advice about the uneccessary programmes and you can have it shut these down for you. As there seems to be so much on the hard drive, seriously consider getting rid of a lot of the rarely used programmes by doing so in Control Panel, "Add Remove" Many programmes are memory hogs running in the background whether you use them or not.

Regards

carholme

Tosh McCaber
26th Dec 2007, 22:52
Thanks for all the replies and help, as usual. We're going to up the RAM for a start.

Tosh

Tosh McCaber
26th Dec 2007, 23:23
Oops- Just one more question- do we add one 512 Mb. or two 256Mb modules? There are two 128Mb modules there already, @ 333Mh.

Might be difficult to pick up 128Mb modules these days.

carholme
27th Dec 2007, 00:39
TM;

Did you find the max capacity of your unit? If it was mine, I'd put in as much as I could.
As far as one 512 or two 256s, it doesn't really matter which route you take but if you put in one 512, leave the previous 256 installed for a total of 768 if the unit will take it. The memory configurator should have advised you how much it will take and how many slots there are. You will notice a very marked speed rise

Regards

carholme

Tosh McCaber
27th Dec 2007, 17:31
I seem to remember from somewhere that you could only use a single module or two of equal size?

carholme
27th Dec 2007, 17:34
Tosh;

Not at all, the computer I am using at the moment incorporates one 512 and one 256. My laptop used exactly the same before I upgraded it.

Regards

carholme

Hobgoblin
31st Dec 2007, 11:59
I have the same thing. 5 year old Pentium 4 with 2.0 GB CPU, 256 MB RAM etc. Mine used to be really, really, REALLY slow. I've got it to a stage where it starts up in less than 1 minute, shuts down in 20 seconds and can do everything I need it to do comfortably fast enough. My RAM usage at startup is normally something like 125 MB (down from 300-350 at startup) and normal working range is around 250 - 350 MB.
First thing to do is to download the XP Tweakguide from tweakguides.com, written by a guy called Kharoush Gazi (really knows his stuff) and second thing is to check how large your virtual memory is set to. Normally this is set as a default value to be something like 1.5 times the system RAM. Increase it so that the physical RAM and virtual memory together add up to about 2.5 GB. This I found improved performance beyond belief. (Start/ Control Panel/ System then click on the Advanced tab. Under Performance you'll find a tab that says Settings, click this and then the middle tab (Advanced) At the bottom you'll see the Virtual Memory with a button called settings. Try changing the size of the pagefile to at least 2 GB.
In order to sort out the startup issues (what to start and what not to start) read up in the XP tweakguide ( I think it's called the Tweaking companion nowadays), by the way this is a free download although you can give the man a donation if you want. He also has a Tweaking companion for Windows Vista.
Let us know if this helps.

The Flying Pram
31st Dec 2007, 17:32
Some very good advice here. I ran the PCPitstop tests which gave my laptop a clean bill of health ( just a few minor issues which I pretty much knew anyway). Then downloaded the XP Tweakguide, and had a quick read through some of the memory and performance sections. I increased the pagefile to 2560Mb, disabled the Indexing Service, and reduced the System Restore memory usage from 14% to 2% - that got me back nearly 4GB alone! It's made a considerable improvement to an otherwise fairly basic spec machine. I will spend a bit more time reading the whole guide, I am getting a better understanding of what goes on inside a P.C. now.

Thanks to all. TFP.

nano404
1st Jan 2008, 15:41
You should try CCleaner ... http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ ... The GigaBytess of junk it cleaned when I first ran it.... :eek:, impressed me. When you run it, remember there is a box on the left that is checked to clean the recycle bin, some people 'hide' files there so uncheck it if you don't want the bin emptied.

Saintsman
3rd Jan 2008, 13:04
For the Startup menu you need to select 'Run' on the Start menu and type in 'msconfig'. Then you can de-select what programmes you don't need (probably most of them).

Tosh McCaber
15th Jan 2008, 21:26
Just to wind this one up- we're home, and have received an email from the outlaws- oops- sorry- in-laws in Houston- they bought two 512mb memory modules @ $30 each, (£30), slotted them in, and- wow- their computer now runs like a rocket!! (Well, comparitively speaking!!)

OverTq
16th Jan 2008, 09:16
For anyone else with similar dilemma re RAM, it's worth visiting the Crucial website where you can scan your PC to check what you have and get advice on what you need. (http://www.crucial.com/ - there is also a UK site http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CP6FgJnD-pACFQHolAod2gsFrg)

green granite
16th Jan 2008, 13:29
Just ran that test (for a laugh) it said I should upgrade from the current 4GB to 8 GB although to be fair it did say I would need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system to benefit from the upgrade. :rolleyes:

Tarq57
16th Jan 2008, 19:42
8Gigs, eh?
Well, when the 747 was first flown, they said it was too big...never become popular...
you going to do it? ;)

OverTq
17th Jan 2008, 09:37
Just ran that test (for a laugh) it said I should upgrade from the current 4GB to 8 GB although to be fair it did say I would need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system to benefit from the upgrade. :rolleyes:

I think what it's telling you is that you CAN not that you SHOULD - means you won't attempt to put too much in. In any case, it's a free test and if you choose to upgrade, you can buy the RAM from where you choose (having said that, never heard anyone say a bad word about Crucial).

green granite
17th Jan 2008, 11:00
you can buy the RAM from where you choose (having said that, never heard anyone say a bad word about Crucial).

I quite agree, I buy all my ram from them.

My original comment was very tongue in cheek by the way (I think I used the wrong smiley)

you going to do it?

No. :)