PDA

View Full Version : Language dilemma

BRUpax
19th Jan 2001, 02:44
Ladies and gentlemen F/As,

One of my regular routes is between BRU and BHX. I use all three carriers that fly the route. I have noticed that both BMA and BAW have some F/A's that make announcements in French and/or Dutch. My dilemma is that whilst I admire you for making the effort I also have to reluctantly point out that your pronunciation and delivery needs to be refined. Please try and slow down a little and learn where to pause. I'm afraid that at present some of your announcements are barely readable. Are you self taught or does the company provide tuition? If it's the latter it's not terribly good! Please don't let my remarks put you off. I think that it's great to see British crews make an effort to speak other languages. However, take every opportunity to improve your skills. A good accent and a clear delivery will impress your foreign clients even more.

Suggestion: Your company uses taped versions. Copy these and imitate them.

OneLeft
21st Jan 2001, 02:59
Whilst I am sure that your comment is intended to be motivational, I would say that PA's made in any language other than that of a carriers native language are meant as token of respect, or a sign of recognition. I don't think anyone expects them to be perfect!

So to those who 'give it a go' I say well done, and keep trying..... I don't suppose your passengers always speak your language perfectly either!

D1L

[This message has been edited by OneLeft (edited 20 January 2001).]

airforcenone
21st Jan 2001, 19:03
Personally, I try to resist speaking in a foreign lingo (my english is probably bad enough), so as to avoid the problem of a foreign passenger trying to engage me in conversation in their language, where my quizical look and gallic shrug may subsequently offend. Incidentally, BA flight crews are issued with a book of multilingual versions of "Good morning, this is the Captain etc." in languages as diverse as French, Arabic and Japanese.

[This message has been edited by airforcenone (edited 21 January 2001).]

Birds2perches
22nd Jan 2001, 02:04
I couldn't agree more with oneleft here. BRUpax, there is a way of saying things and unfortunately, your message has come across as rather condesending (totally unintentional of course). I personally don't think people are not put off by someone that doesn't speak their language as well as they do, but actually appreciate the effort. Lets also remember, people who's first language is English is sometimes worse than those who's it is not.

haamdhanimaid
22nd Jan 2001, 22:22
I think anyone who even attempts a pa in a language other than their own deserves the utmost respect and commendations. I live and work in the middle east and we have crew who constantly have to use a language that is not their first - they never cease to impress me...

flapsforty
23rd Jan 2001, 15:18
BRU pax does have a point imo. Making a PA announcement in a foreign language is quite different from speaking with pax in that language. Even if you're fairly fluent, the PA requires something extra to sound good. And yes, I've heard the most artrocious announcements on my own airline as well http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

If you are not sure of how you sound on the PA, tape you speeches and listen to them. Then get them corrected by a language teacher and practice!
We got a chance to do this at our promotion course and were totally embarassed http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif.
But we improved immensely and that's a great feeling! :)

------------------
Flaps frozen......

BRUpax
24th Jan 2001, 02:09
Oh dear, I didn't mean to be condesending. I clearly stated my admiration of them for making the effort to make PAs in a foreign language. It's certainly also not a case of seeking perfection. It's just that, with all due respect, it's of no value to anybody if they can't be understood.