PDA

View Full Version : Scart to VGA (or vice versa) Possible?

None of the above
25th Dec 2007, 10:50
I have a soon to be redundant DVD player with a SCART socket, and I also have an LCD monitor with a VGA socket. On the face of it, the two items would make a dedicated DVD system.
I have a feeling that linking the two, would not be as simple a matter as obtaining a lead with appropriate plugs at each end. Is there more to this than meets the eye? (So to speak) Differing signal characteristics, for instance?
Incidentally, the DVD player also has a phono type socket labelled 'Co-axial - Digital'. Would this be of any use in the system I have in mind?

Any assistance gratefully received. Ta :ok:

Yours confusingly,

N o t a

Seasons Greetings to all assembled.

goldfrog
25th Dec 2007, 12:16
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-SCART-To-VGA-cable/dp/B0002W69MY

None of the above
25th Dec 2007, 13:07
Bingo! Now why didn't I think of that? (Be charitable - it IS Christmas!)

Many thanks, I'm very grateful to you:ok:

N o t a

Ant
25th Dec 2007, 13:24
As there's no signal conversion taking place I'm sure the above solution won't work.
Something like THIS (http://www.nextag.co.uk/Startech-Game-Console-to-63813733/uk/prices-html?nxtg=1ef120a1c0525-411114A1ECFE63EE) will sort out the video, but you still need to sort out the sound.

None of the above
25th Dec 2007, 14:52
Ah............ things are never straightforward, are they?

I must admit, I hadn't given any consideration to the matter of sound.

Thanks for that, Ant. More thought required this end before proceeding further.

N o t a :ok:

IO540
25th Dec 2007, 19:19
SCART is just a plastic connector. VGA is a whole signal level/timing spec. You can't convert one to the other :)

Assuming the SCART is a standard video signal (PAL or NTSC), conversion to VGA (say 640x480 or 1024x768 etc) requires a frame buffer. You have to digitise the video signal into a bit of memory, one frame at a time, and then resample the frame buffer into the desired output resolution. The frame rates will be different at the two ends... a very tricky piece of hardware.

Many years ago a box which did this would be £10,000 but now they are dirt cheap. I bought one on Ebay recently which goes the other way round (VGA to PAL), called Grand Ultimate XP Pro PC-TV Converter, about £50. I don't know if this does the sound also but I believe it does. I am sure there are others which go in the direction required here.

None of the above
26th Dec 2007, 14:49
I think I'll just quietly abandon the project!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

N o t a :ok: