PDA

View Full Version : AF or BA?

Ludo
19th Jan 2001, 02:03
What would you choose if you were given the option?
I mean, not the one you would choose because you live nearby. What would you choose if you had to move anyway.

And, is there anyone working as a C/A in AF or BA that can give me an idea of what the working conditions are like, and what I should expect if I joined now (term/perm contract, salary?).

Thank you for your answers

Ludo

[This message has been edited by Ludo (edited 18 January 2001).]

Ludo
19th Jan 2001, 20:24
Pleeeease?

Xenia
20th Jan 2001, 03:52
Hello Ludo! :)
I see...not many replies...
Well, let me try and help...first at all I see from your profile you live in France, so why not AF? unless you have a specific interest in UK....
Let's start it there...
BA gives you seasonals contracts to beggin with (as far as I know, please BA people correct me if I am wrong). AF gives you a permanent contract straight away :)
To be honest with you don't know much about BA Ludo, so I can't compare the two.
AF is very good. At the beggining you start with short and medium haule (most of the time) for the first two years. You work 5 on and 2 off and once a month u also get 6 days off in a raw.
This is all I know, sorry I can't help you more. But I know somebody here who'll be working for AF shortly ;) maybe she could give you some more information when she'll back from a sunny island :)
Good luck

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

[This message has been edited by Xenia (edited 19 January 2001).]

euroboy
20th Jan 2001, 12:23
I believe BA are offering Permant Contracts this time. Based LHR operating European and domestic routes.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 20 January 2001).]

AMEX
20th Jan 2001, 14:33
Hi Ludo! until fairly recently, I was working for BA as CC. Run a search on this forum, using AMEX. You will find few things you may find relevant.

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :)

Ludo
21st Jan 2001, 03:40
Thank you Xenia, euroboy and AMEX, your replies really helped.
AMEX, I read your posts, very interesting. What I would like to know is how is life for a BA CC. Do you think it would be possible to commute in short/medium haul? How are the relations with CC management (I had the impression that they were more helpful and friendly than AF. Am I right?).
Thank you for your help, and any other replies are more than welcome.

euroboy
21st Jan 2001, 12:58
Everything great at BA. Some crews do commute. Where are you thinking of commuting from?
Rosters are mixed with 2 sectors (there and back) 4 sectors long day, split duties, and up to 3 day trips.
I think we are treated VERY well.

Ludo
22nd Jan 2001, 02:36
euroboy, thanks for your answer. I would commute from Zurich (but I am French=I have a EU passport). Zurich is 1h30 flight from London.
I think what you said confirmed my impression: BA CC seem happier than FA PNC.
Other comments welcome!
Thank you!

Rocket Scientist
23rd Jan 2001, 17:02
I work for BA on shorthaul and now longhaul. If you were successful in getting a job at BA, it would be necessary to set up a base in the UK, close to the airport to start off with. New crew tend to share accommodation with fellow newies who they meet on the training course.
It would be near impossible to commute before and after every trip if you were on Eurofleet.
After 6 months you get your staff travel concessions, where you would pay 90 percent of the full fare ticket. Bear in mind that you would be on standby and not guaranteed a seat. BA take a very dim view of 'commuters' failing to report if they failed to get on a flight.
I have no experience of AF, but I feel BA is a fair employer. Your basic salary would be around £9000, plus allowances. There is an opportunity to transfer to worldwide fleet, but the waiting list is VERY long at the moment.
Hope the above is of use.
Very best wishes.

[This message has been edited by Rocket Scientist (edited 23 January 2001).]

euroboy
24th Jan 2001, 01:18
Hi Ludo
I think you would have trouble commuting from Zurich whilst on Eurofleet, because of the early starts 0500 and late finishes 2345.

Also as Rocket Scientist says you don`t get concessions for the first 6 months. It would prove expensive.
There is a 6 week training course on starting.
The rosters either work on a 6 day on, 3 day off pattern or by biding for your days off. You get 10 days off a month (9 in Feb as short month) and you can pick and choose your days off but of course you may not get every day that you bid off.

I did fly for a British airline which operated Air France flights for a couple of years. AF cabin crew worked along side us, mainly reping, French PA`s. They seemed a good bunch, and seemed fairly happy.