PDA

View Full Version : EK,QR and EY Pay for 2007

expat400
24th Dec 2007, 05:06
Hi,

The year comes to an end and we can sum up the pay for 2007. Is there anyone from the mentioned airlines with ca three years as a Captain that would like to share what the TOTAL remuneration during 2007 is?

I'm in SIA Cargo now and my TOTAL (no school fees) was ca 745000 AED after tax this year. This is for approximately 50 hours flying per month.

I know you get some info on the website but I'd like a comparasion with someone similar in "age" and also include bonuses etc.

Happy holidays!

BigHardOn
24th Dec 2007, 08:01
Happy Holidays!

EY 3rd year captain:

Basic salary: 34300. Dhs./month
Flying allowance: 50 dhs/hr x 75hrs 3750. Dhs/ month

Total for the year 456600 Dhs.

No bonus yet for 2007, but the year is not over. :rolleyes:

CEO PITA
24th Dec 2007, 10:29
QR senior F/O 460,000 /year (A330 ) fleet

Insh Allah
24th Dec 2007, 10:30
BIG Hard ON!!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=303461&page=8

read down the page...

More time!

sanddude
24th Dec 2007, 13:39
Expat 400. Does that include housing allowances and provident fund?

expat400
24th Dec 2007, 14:19
Hi Sanddude,

As an expat you don't get any "provident fund" but the Housing Allowance is included.

However, if I include the end of contract bonus one can say that I "earned" 11000 SGD (AED 27500) more.

Fly safe!

woodja51
25th Dec 2007, 05:10
Captain for 5 years EK (line captain only), total pay was 855,000 for the year and I did 725 hours flying for the 12 months.
This includes housing allowance and some kids education costs and the last bonus.
I also switched from the 340 to the 777 so had a type rating thrown in for free... with no bond .. not sure what thats worth. ?
Free medical for me and small cost for the wife/Free transport/cheap tickets and dry cleaning on top if you want to include some perks of indeterminate value.
This did not include per diems or the 12% provident fund contribution which after 8 years mine stands at 160 000 USD total value.. not enough to retire of course.
The flying pay that was introduced last jun has only had a small effect so would expect to push through 900k for next year or so with normal rises etc.
These are facts and not inflating for any reason at all... just being honest...but some guys will not be able to be anywhere near this due to circumstances etc. As far as inflation goes that depends on what you buy in DXB so wont get into that one..
W

NO LAND 3
25th Dec 2007, 12:47
I calculate the equivalent value of the package for a 3 yr captain as somewhere between 600,000 to 650,000 Dhs. After tax of course.
I haven't included the education allowance or medical insurance as I am considering the case for someone from a commonwealth country where both are more or less provided by the state, so they give no financial advantage.
I've considered the value of the accomodation package as the equivelant of what it would cost to rent similar accomodation in ones home country. It includes provident fund contributions and aveage bonus.

Go You Good Thing
25th Dec 2007, 16:57
WOW some big numbers there!!! Previous threads talk about the cost of living and inflation in the middle east countries but when you look at how much people are making it is tempting to leave your home and become an expat.

For the expats who have posted to this thread and if you were to consider the following could somebody please answer the question below.

No accomodation, school fees, company savings etc, each countries currency was worth the same value, go to the pub once a week with the lads, once a week take the wife and two kids out for a meal and once a week order take out.

How many dollars could I actually save at the end of the year?

expat400
25th Dec 2007, 23:37
Thank you guys. Seems like EK pay is better than expected.

As you can see there's quite a discrepancy between "calculated" numbers and what's actually on the paycheck and that's the reason for my question.

I need to know the "hard numbers" in order to compare the packages.

Woodja! How much of the 855 K was bonus payment?

Any more inputs?

typhoonpilot
26th Dec 2007, 05:07
Captain for 5 years EK (line captain only), total pay was 855,000 for the year and I did 725 hours flying for the 12 months.
This includes housing allowance and some kids education costs and the last bonus.

WOW some big numbers there!!! Previous threads talk about the cost of living and inflation in the middle east countries but when you look at how much people are making it is tempting to leave your home and become an expat.

Fifth year Captain base pay for 2007 was AED 454,640. The flying pay started in June and adds a little under 3000 per month on average. Bonus in 2007 for a 5th year Captain was 31,849.

For those who took the housing allowance and bought an apartment/villa I guess it would be okay to include it as compensation as that is money they are using to build equity in their home. The vast majority of EK pilots have not done that and new joiners face prohibitively high acquisition costs to purchase an apartment or villa.

School fees are an expense that is partially born by the company, not really compensation.

Typhoonpilot

RnR
26th Dec 2007, 07:41
1 year Capt At QR, 660,000 (A330 Fleet)
this does not include education allowances,
housing allowances are included.

Cheers,

Merry Christmas All.
:)

fractional
26th Dec 2007, 11:26
One has to see the job post, what the allowance gets in DXB, AUH or DOH plus what the school allowance buys in similar circumstances in these 3 cities.
You may have a great salary and end up paying lots for housing and schooling.
From my experience and pub exchanges with fellow aviators, it's still EK the best option even if this means little or nothing for many. EK should have have kept that lead, and they would have kept many more professionals.

togaluck
26th Dec 2007, 14:07
I really don't mean to sound negative, but all those figures include the housing allowance,
so you have to take out 12000 QR (equivalent to AED) for captn and 10000 QR (same AED) @ 3,300 and 2,750 USD respectively, per month to those "salaries"...
your options are company housing, (take out the allowance of course) or get your own and you WILL NOT find any decent housing in these cities for that amount of money, anybody who tell's you otherwise is certainly lying.

CAT IIIB
26th Dec 2007, 14:31
Dear CEO PITA,
QR

"QR senior F/O 460,000 /year (A330 ) fleet"
--------------------------------------------

Is that inclusive of housing and education aloowances?

woodja51
27th Dec 2007, 13:55
I am not sure if this answers the chaps question completely but as an ozzi
of the 855k I have on my annual printout,
over 30k was exchange rate protection (not everyone would get that) and about the same number was the bonus. So that is almost 2 extra months basic in the year...
The salary/service letter I get from EK states my monthly gross as about 48k per month. They don't include overtime, flight pay ERP or a bunch of other things (provident fund etc).
So The other guys are correct with the basic amount but that said if I didn't have the pay slip to back it up do you think I could be in debt to the tune of several million dirhams (on over 16 properties accumulated ONLY in the last 8 years whilst at EK....across Ozzi and UAE??. I am not trying to skite but you can really make big inroads to financial freedom when you don't have to give 50% to the losers of society who chose not to attend school for longer.
The banks are silly but not that silly.
And yes I have been lucky to get into the white hot property markets of Australia and UAE. But I did that before I got a new wife (had to give it all to my first one before I came to EK) and that is what made the difference for me.
Oh as far as the education thing goes my teenage girls are back in OZ so the subsidised education is paid partly by the Oz government and partly by EK so does not come out of my pocket at all.. sorry but once again circumstances make the difference to everyones POV.
Just got back from 9 day brisbane trip, had a wedding in Noosa in the middle of it, Xmas with 14 of the crew out for dinner(great turn out - room party till 5am), four/five days in OZ.. doing NYE in Shanghai... hey and I am not a Company stooge - just gotta make the best of all the clouds linings!!
Happy to tell ya the bad as well as the good stuff too... there are lots of 'numptys' in the place as well!

blueside^
27th Dec 2007, 15:03
woodja51 how many years have you been in EK?

sunchaser
27th Dec 2007, 20:29
US Major Cargo Airline. $356,000 for 2007. Averaged 17 days off per month.

woodja51
28th Dec 2007, 04:42
Blue side ^ , been here 8 years 1 mth! came with net worth of 100 000AUD after 14 years in RAAF and 4 in Ansett. so much better rate of return here I must say..:)

L1011
28th Dec 2007, 14:31
Sonoma,

Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread. Woodja's figures are the exception not the rule.

I have been here much longer that him and made less money last year. Not being fortunate enough to receive ERP and being in company housing is the difference.

The lunatics are in charge of the asylum. Maybe it is time to move on. Only a serious accident will change anything here and that could well be me.

sanddude
28th Dec 2007, 14:47
Sunchaser, is that nett, and if not how much would that be after tax?

Dropp the Pilot
28th Dec 2007, 14:58
....850,000 per annum is a bit of wind-up, but not in the way he intended.
My gross last year at EK was 1,005,700 AED which includes ERP, the company provident fund contribution and housing allowance but not any of the school fees I was given or medical reimbursements.

It's a fairly simple calculation, just go on HR Direct Self Service and select "yearly view" on the payslip page and tot it up. September's pay alone was 86,700.

Seems to me that if you just shut up, do your job and put in a few years the benefits accrue. But I'm old-fashioned. Please continue the whining, it is fascinating.

fractional
28th Dec 2007, 15:55
EK is still a better deal in one-to-one comparison and at the same standing. There are other issues that we throw on the pot, but we'll be drifting into so many other variables such as promotions (commands, trainers, etc.) and here one has to evaluate the queue, the expected number of years, etc..
Basically, look at the money you would make at home in similar circumstances, add the social security contribution (yours and the Company's) and this should be the minimum you should be earning in the Gulf. Ensure you have that Social Security money in your hands and save it the way you see fit. That's what you don't see in Europe, States and elsewhere when you pay it to a government.
EK provides accommodation and isn't that bad, schooling allowance is pretty good and covers quite a good deal. Cars, fuel, food and other mainstream stuff are cheaper (not by far, but still cheaper) here in the Gulf.
Things are different when Companies give the accommodation money, poor education allowances and a poor health insurance. You are always exposed unless you buy your own property, insurance here or abroad with full coverage or you leave the family back home in school. Otherwise, you'll have to step forward and pay the difference, and that's a lot of money.

fractional
28th Dec 2007, 18:08
Seaman Staynes,
try the competition...:ugh:

Khaosai
29th Dec 2007, 02:22
Hi,

just tried the yearly option on the HR direct services.

Came up with a figure of 456 000 DHS.

2 Yr capt.

Rgds.

loc22550
29th Dec 2007, 05:00
With the cost of living getting more and more expensive(Qatar is probably the worse), a good question should have been : how much do you managed to SAVE every year (instead of how much we get)..expecially when you donīt have any benefit or pension plan included in your contract.:uhoh:

woodja51
29th Dec 2007, 14:56
To the guys that brought up the yearly pay view - thanks - that is all I was trying to portray -
I didn't make those numbers up and my 850k didn't include the Prov fund, kids education or the incidentals.
If you really want to see some crappy posts it seems like EY boys are more unhappy than us.
And for the guys that are struggling - I agree the Company could do more, but some of the things that you may be annoyed about with might be more DXB related not within EK control (maybe). And not all can be fixed with money.
All I think that guys looking at EK were asking was an honest appraisal of the conditions - if enough of us put in our circumstances they will see how they may apply to them I guess.
Maybe I have just been lucky to make hay while the sun shines...

triple click
29th Dec 2007, 19:02
hi guys

if EK lower a little bit its minimum requirement; your will get a lot of ey pilots.. DEC and F/O ready to join ASAP.. :ok:

we will all leave the ship pretty soon...:}

Khaosai
29th Dec 2007, 20:01
Hi,

that 456 000 Dhs is made up of the following:

Basic Salary 368 140

Concessional Travel: 2945

Exchange Rate Protection: 26 705

Flying Pay: 15 773

Productivity Pay: 8510

Profit Share 30 016

Refurbishment Allowance: 2000

Telephone Allowance: 1470

Total is actually 455 559.

Hope this is of some help.

Rgds.

AA717driver
30th Dec 2007, 00:19
sunchaser--How many DEC's does UPS or FEX take each year? How long to make up for the $33k first year pay at UPS?

How long to MD10 CA at FEX?

Capt. at UPS or FEX is a great gig if you were smart enough to start there in 1992...

Apples to grapefruit comparison. TC

Lugano
30th Dec 2007, 13:11
They most definitely do not take street captains (DEC) in the US. The only places that do are the so-called 'regional' airlines and even then only in a couple of cases.

The example given of earning $350,000 or so is not the norm in the US. Those would be the captains of large airplanes who have been with their carriers for 25 years or so and today the only ones who can reasonably expect that kind of income would be UPS and FedEx. None of the legacy carriers have pay scales that even come close to that without working a ton of overtime.

I would guess that 1%-2% of all US Airline pilots earn that kind of coin. The rest of us get to hear then complain about the high cost of real estate in Aspen and how those Ferrari payments are killing them.

sunchaser
2nd Jan 2008, 04:22
1/2 truths guys. We have FO's making 200K 3rd year. If we worked under the rules in the sandbox we would pull in 500K, what can i tell you. Look at the contract, when we hit overtime it is huge. You want to talk about A funds and B funds? Just my point and i prefer to live in my home country. 25 years to make Capt. you say? Not true look at the boards with junior Capt. for each US major. Hey if you want to fly big shiny new jets in the sand pit all the more power to you. I'm in it for the money and time off. Something you guys don't even come close too. That is a fact.