PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ and the Holidays Act

CTOT ON
24th Dec 2007, 03:09
After giving into the temptation to work over the Christmas Period and New Year, I now find that despite the outcome of NZALPA Vs Air New Zealand in the Supreme Court, my division of the mighty koru is not paying time and a half.
Is this the case across the board? Whats the go here? :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Maybe some lube would have been better from Rob than Monopoly!

CTOT

distracted cockroach
24th Dec 2007, 08:24
Here is a copy of the memo we got. Note, our Zeal management appear to believe it applies to ALL Air NZ Group staff. If you are getting screwed, suggest you give ALPA a call. They didn't fight (and win) this fight just for the long haul troops.:ok:

Further to the comms released today re the issue of time and a half being paid over the stat days at Xmas, I have copied a message that was circulated to all international pilots this afternoon by John Whittaker, who has been involved in the dialogue on this.

The ruling covers all Air New Zealand Group staff. I hope this allays any concerns that you might have.

Rgds

Supreme Court Holiday Act ruling

In November the Supreme Court issued a ruling that the Air New Zealand/NZALPA pilot CEA did not comply with the Holidays Act 2003 around provisions for public holidays. The ruling will apply back to the inception of the Holidays Act in 2004 and means that you will be entitled to a recalculation of your pay for public holidays worked since then. The calculation of backpay is going to be complex because RDP is calculated based on actual historical pay, therefore each payment differs and is affected by each previous payment (e.g. the backpay payment due for Waitangi Day 2005 is affected by the backpay payment for New Years day 2005). We have this process underway.

We have also been working out how future payments should be calculated. We don’t want to have any more disputes in relation to this and so we have met with NZALPA and FANZP to discuss exactly how we should calculate payments in relation to the wording of "time actually worked” on a public holiday for payment purposes. At meetings this week we have made progress in a number of areas, however we now need to formally agree and ensure this is as robust position for all parties and alter our pay systems to make the correct payments. Unfortunately this will not be achieved in time for payments for next week’s public holidays. I know that this will be disappointing to you, and I can assure you that you will be paid time and a half for public holidays and that we will make these payments as soon as possible.

Dunnybudgee
27th Dec 2007, 22:21
About time Air NZ payed their way. They have been scr*wing you guys for far too long IMHO. Here here to the Judge! :ok:

Woz with Air Enzud many years ago, then left for greener pastures. I am still amazed how Air NZ manages to be perhaps the lowest paying legacy carrier in the western world. :sad:

Top level line staff with very high work stds, but pay & condx in the gutter... No wonder wonder morale has been consistently low since 1990.

At last theres one for the troops. Even if it does take the company time to process it all...

Kiwiguy
28th Dec 2007, 00:24
I couldn't find the decision from 2003 and doubt if the Supreme Court was in existence then.

Perhaps the reference is to this decision which you can read by going to the link:

http://www.nzlii.org/cgi-bin/sinodisp/nz/cases/NZCA/2006/307.html?query=ALPA