PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating

kalavo
23rd Dec 2007, 05:14
Hi Guys,

Any recommendations on where to do an instructor rating? Left the aviation industry a couple of years back, but would like to get back in to it part time on weekends.

Would prefer either a course that can be done in Adelaide, or a course that can be done in a relatively short term period (need to take annual leave to do it).

I know Aircrew Check and Training in Armidale use to have a really good reputation and a fairly short intense course, but their website seems rather dead... are they still flying? Any other recommendations?

What's the going rate for an Instructor rating at the moment?

Cheers,
Kalavo

Aussie
23rd Dec 2007, 05:59
Not sure on a good place to do it these days, but just as an idea, i paid 9500bux for mine 2 yrs ago! No idea what the going rate is these days, ill look on with interest.

Good luck.

To infinity & beyond
23rd Dec 2007, 22:02
I know Aircrew Check and Training in Armidale use to have a really good reputation and a fairly short intense course

Gordo passed away in March 07. He was a legend and I will miss him at my next renewal.

See http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265617&highlight=gordon+smith

MakeItHappenCaptain
25th Dec 2007, 09:13
AV8 Brisbane doing it for sub-$10K.

apache
25th Dec 2007, 11:29
if yer wanna instruct in SA, then do the rating at a school in SA that WILL take you on afterwards. Go and ask them what they promise, shake hands, sip drinks and THEN get it in writing!!!!!!!

anyone NOT prepared toput into writing that they WILL train you for XXXX dollars, and then NOT employ you, walk away from!

good luck, wish I had done it that way!

airjordan
25th Dec 2007, 11:44
mate if you're in Adelaide why not try for the FTA partial scholarship?
If you are looking at instructing for awhile then it may be the way to go.

You pay half of the instructor rating, about $6800. On completion based on your performance, you may be hired to work at AFTC (Adelaide Flight training centre - subsidiary of Flight Training Adelaid (FTA)). You start off as a casual there and instruct students up to CPL - after a qualifying period you can move over to FTA - to train airline cadets - but as I understand this requires a 3 year commitment minimum, as they don't want instructors coming and going after getting their required M/E IFR time.

They have good gear. Perhaps someone who has instructed there before can give more info on pay and conditions. I suppose if you want to fly good equipment and get good experience, then it may be a good option.

I'm also looking at instructing and i would go there if i could, but 3 years is a long time!

goodluck

Aussie
25th Dec 2007, 23:33
3 Yrs is a very long time to be stuck instructing in todays aviation industry...

How do they lock you in for 3 yrs?

kalavo
26th Dec 2007, 00:32
I'm only wanting to get back in to it part time on weekends, so I seriously doubt they'll want to either offer the scholarship or bond me for three years if I'm not prepared to fly during the week :)

That said for the sake of $3000 you'd be insane to bond to FTA for 3 years in the current environment, especially when people working there seem to be unhappy. (Would be even more insane in my case where I meet the minimums for the big jets :)

Given the sad news on Gordo, they might be worth a look in, its local, their maintenance is top notch as is their aircraft, and they might be quite happy with a weekend warrior who isnt planning on going any where down at the training centre or AFTA or whatever it's called now.

Still if anyone else has any recommendations based on a recent endorsement they'd be greatly appreciated. (I know back when I did my flight training, it was easy to tell where instructors had did their training - coming from a glider background "steep turns" was usually the first clue).

Cheers,
Kalavo

Jetfume
26th Dec 2007, 02:16
Crash air...I mean Basair have a scholarship and will pay for your rating if you give them two years.. I did mine with Andrew Brain some ime ago with TAC in YPJT and is best thing i ever did i belive it was the most expensive and the longest but by far the best.

Valdiviano
26th Dec 2007, 09:09
google Coast jet, port macquarie,nsw. they have an experienced instructor course instructor, I think they offer accomodation, they offered revalidation in 10/15 hours (I have not instructed in 30 years). Testing guy in house.