PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a flying school. What a lottery!!

Yankee Bravo
23rd Dec 2007, 03:52
I currently studying my ATPL exams, should finish in April 2008. My intention is to commence flying training in May, but what a lottery it is choosing a flying school. It would seem that individuals have differring experiences at the same schools. Can anyone reccommend a very good flight school either in the states or europe?

Cheers:ugh:

Currymonster
23rd Dec 2007, 07:48
Yes you are right it is a lottery, let me share what limited experience I have of Flight schools in the UK.
Personally I have done all of my training at The Flight Centre Wolverhampton, can honestly say it has been first class. the staff go out of their way to assist and the fleet PA28 for initial CPL stuff and Twinstar for Multi an IR are well maintained and have decent kit on board. The airfield is very good to fly from, it is an information service and you dont have delays associated with busy airports. During the IR you get plently of experience flying from airports such as Bristol/Exeter/Gloucester.
I have visited BCFT at Bournemouth and that too seems an extremely good outfit. They appear to have a good reputation.

JD aviation at Manchester also seems to have a good reputation. He does all his stuff on the aircraft rather than Sim for part of the IR. Only downfall I can see with that is that you cant re-wind the aircraft like you can the sim after cocking up holds continuously like I did during the IR.
I found that choosing a school gave me a right headache especially when you look at the sums involved.
I did consider going to Aerodynamics, got put off by a few threads on here but by all accounts that place seems to have improved somewhat, I know of someone who went over there and saved lots of money in the process. He was more than happy over there.
Top and bottom, go and visit a few unannounced and get a feel for the places, you will spend a lot of time and money whilst at the school so the right choice is important.
Good Luck