PDA

View Full Version : Certificates required for flying in HK

virga67
22nd Dec 2007, 14:04
Is there anybody out there who has experience converting foreign certificates to the ones required in Hong Kong?
Is it better to start out with JAA certificates or with the ones from the FAA?
Best regards

buggaluggs
23rd Dec 2007, 02:45
Hey Virga

The Hong Kong licensing system is more or less based on the UK CAA system, so if you hold a CAA license your conversion will be reasonably straightforward. I don't know how similar UKCAA and JAR licenses are so I can't comment on JAR conversion. Other ICAO licenses are treated with varying degrees of contempt; Kiwi, Ozzie and South African are fairly straightforward. The conversion process/exams to be written vary depending not only on the license held, but also on what experience you have on what aircraft types. Clear as mud? The HKCAD treats the FAA license as only slightly more valuable than the one that comes in your corn flakes packet. No offence.

More info at www.cad.gov.hk

Cheers Buggs :ok:

Dan Winterland
23rd Dec 2007, 03:27
If you're starting out and wondering which authority's licence to do for an easy conversion with a view to working in HK, don't chose the FAA licence. You will have to do lots of exams in HK as the FAA computer testing system is deemed to easy. The JAA sexams are very similar, as are the Aussie and NZ ones. I would chose the Aussie system. But for cost, look at South Africa as well. The exams there are of a very high standard and I'm sure they get favourable reception in HK.

But to convert an ATPL to HK ATPL, you need 2800hrs with 500hrs on suitable commercial aircraft. If you don't you will be issued with a CPL.