PDA

View Full Version : BA Language reqirement

chilled
27th Oct 2000, 21:34
Rumor has it that BA have dropped the language requirment for new entrant cabin crew. Anyone from BA in the know about this?
Look forward to seeing your replys.

Happy flying all!!

captcat
28th Oct 2000, 00:34
No, it is not correct. Where did you hear that?

near enuf is good enuf
28th Oct 2000, 02:43
Do you mean English, the last 4 times I flew BA there wasn't an english accent to be heard.

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or virtue,
as you choose!"

Porcupine
28th Oct 2000, 11:35
It,s now no longer a must have.
P.

SomewhereOverHere
31st Oct 2000, 01:24
Yeah, apparently they've now decided that being pleasant and friendly is more important than being able to speak French!
:-)

Xenia
31st Oct 2000, 01:44
near enuf is good enuf...I don't think your reply was very funny :rolleyes:
Ok... as foreigns (members of the European Community anyway)our accent might not sound as British as the Queen's...but we're defenetly fluent in English! and of course we have the "plus" of speaking another language...or maybe two... personally I am 100%fluent in 4 :)

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

p. Arempi
1st Nov 2000, 16:18
Right Xenia...

I work in a company with a complete European mix. It 's funny and nice, though it 's mostly the UK crew who have the most problems in accepting plurilingual people. I speak several languages fluently and when I hear my UK colleagues with their strong Scottish, Irish, Welsh, or London accents; I really doubt if they know how to speak English that everyone else speaks.

Greetings out of plurilingual Belgium!!

[This message has been edited by p. Arempi (edited 01 November 2000).]

captcat
5th Nov 2000, 19:43
I agree 100% Xenia. It doesn't seem a great achievement to speak the Queen's English if you are not able to speak a world in any other language.

OneLeft
6th Nov 2000, 02:09
To get past the multilingual slagging match and answer your question.

BA no longer needs a language as long as you have a recognised qualification in catering, caring, nursing or hospitality.

Good Luck,
D1L

chilled
6th Nov 2000, 19:56
Thankyou 1left. A possitive answer, thats all I wanted to know. I did'nt think I was going to start up a zenophobic post.

Happy flying all

Xenia
6th Nov 2000, 20:11
Is it zenophobic or xenophobic?? possitive or positive?? As a "no-native English speaker" I'm getting http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif in here....
...Of course, as always, please take the joke... :)
Remember a good sense of humor is a must! ;)
Anyway...good luck Chilled! :) I wish all the best, and I really mean it! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

captcat
6th Nov 2000, 20:30
Chilled,
You better keep your sense of humour if you are planning to become a F/A!

chilled
8th Nov 2000, 22:47
Captcat, thanks for the advice. For you info I am already an F/A a No1. I have a very good S.O.E as it happens, if I did not I would not be on here in the first place!

Happy flying all.

captcat
9th Nov 2000, 02:53
:)
Thanks for the explanation Chilled.
In fact judging on your attitude I would never have guessed you were a Purser.
By the way, why don't you show us all your good S.O.H. and go make a post on the "blow your own trumpet" thread on Jet Blast?
Enjoy!

chilled
12th Nov 2000, 20:17
Captcat, just read my previous post, and your right it really looks like I have an attitude problem. I did not mean it to. if I upset you in any way my appologies to you. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Xenia thanks for your comments. I know my spelling can be really bad, but once again thanks for you best wishes much appreciated, and good luck to you in all that you do.

captcat
12th Nov 2000, 22:14
It's ok Chilled, great of you apologizing, not all would do it. I apologize too for the "catty" answer...
Friends?

chilled
13th Nov 2000, 18:52
Captcat - Friends :)