PDA

View Full Version : Deferred Class 1 Medical

flyboyweeksy
22nd Dec 2007, 10:30
Hi guys, if someone could help me on this, i'd very much appreciate - as i really don't get it and many other friends of mine who fly dont understand it either.....

I went to LGW on Tuesday for my class 1 initial, I already have a class 2 as I'm doing my PPL. To cut a long story short, I passed everything apart from the eye examination. Hence why now I have a fit to fly but deferred class 1 (i think Im right in saying that) but no certifcate obviously. My background with my eyesight is that from a young age, I had an astigmatism in my right, which has been corrected over the years but has left my right eye weaker than my left. I do wear glasses but once in a blue moon etc or when Im working on a computer etc for ages. No I wasnt passed on the eyetest and they said I am on the limits for an initial, but would have passed a renewal - how can this be? I do appreciate you need a good eyesight and aviation is quite stringent. However, if I had a PPL that day, I wouldve have my class 1 issued (im still doing my PPL). I was then given options of submitting some previous eye prescriptions to the CAA to see if my eyes are stable - which I think they are as they havent changed much or got worse over the years. Go abroad to get a class 1, i.e FAA. There was another option but cant remember right now.
My concerns are that is i am applying for a pilot training scheme in the UK and i will need a class 1 at some stage. Now the CAA did say they would speak to the Training school on my behalf explaining about my situation so to speak and see if the training school is willing to get me too PPL standard and then issue the Class 1.

Now to me this seems like a rather large and pointless paperwork exercise and that you can potentially have poorer eyesight than myself and have a class 1. Am I over reacting or is there something Im missing. As I said before, every person I have spoken to who holds a class 1 cant believe all of this. The advise I have been given is to speak to an AME and to post here to see the responses.

If anyone can shed some light, would be very much appreciated as at the minute, a life long dream is hanging in the balance!

Regards,

flyboyweeksy
22nd Dec 2007, 16:09
well its nice to hear (without sounding out of order!) that someone else has had the same issue or similar to myself. My only concern is that if I am lucky and successful in this training scheme, they may want a Class 1 earlier or before I actually start the course. Hopefully it will be ok.
If the doctors/examiners at the CAA dont agree with the rules and reg's surely there's something not right. There are probably guys and girls out there flying with worse eyesight than me, it pi*ses me off seen as otherwise I am fit and well otherwise! Thanks for the reply, I take it you are now fully fledge commercial pilot?

LastMinute
27th Dec 2007, 18:11
I thought the issuing of Class 1 medicals with deviations had ended following the publication of Amendment 5 to JAR-FCL 3 last year. This was discussed at the time in the Liberalizing medical requirements thread.

FliegerTiger
27th Dec 2007, 18:44
LastMinute, you're absolutely right. :eek: