PDA

View Full Version : Motivation for oldies!!

Googlewac
21st Dec 2007, 13:09
TOOOOOOOOOOOO old.
Googlewac if you are “well up on events past and present” why are you even contemplating such a move. There is a HUGE surplus of pilots in OZ most of them 15 to 20 years younger than you. If you think you will earn 40K PA relatively soon after qualifying I would suggest you get the GA Award. You need a lot more than just a CPL, in addition you need experience. Have you done the sums on obtaining a CPL then later a MECIR? your talking a lot of money for very little reward. At first every time you fly its great enjoyment however the novelty will soon wear off. When you are working LONG days for a salary which keeps you on the bread line your views will change. Your wife might be supportive of your idea at first but when you go bush and she has to put up with hardships she has not encountered that initial support will soon evaporate.
This is a very hard industry and only good to the pilots who make it. If you
are willing to risk the financial outlay and be satisfied earning 40K several years down the road not to mention a high risk of divorce go for it.
To be brutally frank you are tooo old. Don’t do it and don’t allow yourself to be talked into it.

In my 40's got this not long ago!! Currently flying jets. Just a motivation for all late starters!! Got into jet flying with under 1000 hrs piston single time!!

Pomypilot
21st Dec 2007, 13:40
What:bored:?

Lasiorhinus
21st Dec 2007, 13:46
Made sense to me.

Good on ya, Googlewac! Theres hope for the rest of us yet!:ok::ok:

neville_nobody
21st Dec 2007, 19:25
Got into jet flying with under 1000 hrs piston single time!

I think that would be the exception rather than the rule. Is it an airline or some corporate job where you knew the owner?

tinpis
21st Dec 2007, 21:25
Certainly better than in my day
Yer were rooted at 26 if you wernt in the big 3.