PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA ATP conversion

Azzurri
21st Dec 2007, 12:15
Hello,

I'm a GLobal Express Captain with 8000TT and an FAA ATP. I'd now like to obtain the JAA credential and am wondering about doing it via Distance Education. Can I expect any shortcuts or must I write all 14 exams? Is the UK good to use as the issuing authority, or should I consider Switzerland, for example?
Anybody have any tips or advice on what training center to choose for the ground exams? My intention is to do short-term contracts on JAR-registered GLEX's during my vacations.

Thanks in advance,

A

Finals19
21st Dec 2007, 14:04
- Do you have legal rights to work in the EU?

- LASORS (the definitive UK CAA guide, which covers a conversion to the UK ATPL which is a JAA recognised licence) states the following if you have over 3000 hours and time on an a/c type over 30,000kgs

G1.5 Note 2

Different terms apply to ATPL(A) holders with a
minimum of 3,000 hours flying experience as pilot
of public transport aircraft over 30,000kgs MTWA
on scheduled international or similar routes,
including a minimum of 1,500 hours as
Pilot-in-Command (Captain). Applicants who
believe they qualify should apply to PLD for a formal
written assessment using form JAR-FCL 680 and
enclosing the appropriate fee, actual logbooks and
non-UK licence

Otherwise it is as follows:

Pass all 14 written exams. Time / instruction as required and as determined by an approved FTU.

IR Skills test - min 15 hours training

CPL Skills test - as required training

You would be Multi Crew Cooperation (MCC) exempt due to your hours.

If you are planning to fly G-reg a/c based outside of the UK, then you still need the JAA licence, but seems a bit pointless when you're highly employable on any N reg.

Ho4it
21st Dec 2007, 22:27
Who do I mail my credentials to and the fee? My situation is the company I fly for has an N and switching to a G !

DUAL RATED
23rd Dec 2007, 17:28
You dont need to use an FTU for the ground studies with your hours. you can study by yourself then go ahead and take the exams. i used bristols online question bank and borrowed a mates old JAA ground school notes, but using an FTU maybe handy for you with some sort of distance learning.

On the flying side im doing it at Coventry UK with AFT, IR done on DA42, only 2 levers and EFIS, CPL next. JAA ATPL skills test on my next GV/G550 recurrent to open my JAA ATPL. You could do the ATPL skills test only on the Global, but you need to have a JAA Flight Ops Training inspector on board during the test if you gothat route. but trying to arrange CAA ops inspector and sim ride at the same time overseas too many things to go wrong, and they charge £1200 a day away from base, plus expenses plus £712 for the test fee oh and dont forget the licence application fee as well!!

danigo
23rd Dec 2007, 17:51
i' don't know really what are they doing in the uk but one thing i know is taht in switzerland you will have to do 12 exams (not 14 like others) and for your practical test as you are flying you will just have to do a reccurent training with a jaa instructor to have it a nice school in this country is http://www.horizon-sfa.ch/ they are very good and not so expensive with their distant learning
bye

mundaka
23rd Dec 2007, 20:24
I did all the exams (14) using bristols online database. You don't really need anything else.
I then completed a Falcon 900 Easy type Rating at CAE UK (A recurrent would also do it for you) and I did my LST with a CAA inspector and a CAE TRE. That gave me a straight initial JAA ATPL/IR and the Type Rating. The rest is history. You could do all in 6 months if you have the time to prepare.
CAE will have a Global Express simulator in Burgess Hill next March. That will mean that you wont have to pay 1200 pounds a day as the charges in the UK are much less.
Good luck...It is not that complicated but well worth it.
Cheers

Julio