PDA

View Full Version : CPL Theory

rammel
21st Dec 2007, 03:44
I'm going to commence the theory subjects early next year, and would like to know which books people have used.

I was looking at Bob Taits or The Aviation Theory Centre's books for self study. Or if anyone has others worth looking at please let me know.

If you could let me know what you found good and why, that'd be great. Also is there any courses similar to what you can do for your ATPL's which you can do for CPL subjects.

Thanks in advance.

Rammel

airjordan
21st Dec 2007, 04:03
Hi Rammel,

I used Bob Tait for all my 7 CPL subjects. All self study - the course at my flying school was going too slow for my liking with too many distractions in class with students asking stupid questions or going off-topic. I dropped the class and completed all 7 subjects on my own using Bob Tait - my average is 90%.

I found Bob Tait's explanations very easy to understand. He has written it for all Australian CPL students - including the overseas students - so his plain english explanations are very well constructed. My flying school has many overseas students and they opt to use Bob Tait for the ease of understanding.

I also found the practice questions to be very valuable and a good indication of how the real test will be, mind you, I like many others can say that even some questions in the exam are very similar to the practice questions in Bob Tait.

I have looked at a few ATC books and found them to be information overload.

Many places run CPL theory courses, but good ground instructors are also very rare these days.

For ATPL, I can recommend Gavin Secombe @ Secombe Aviation - based in Bankstown. I'm completing my ATPL studies there atm and so far my average is 94%.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your studies.

Cheers,
AJ

puma4319
21st Dec 2007, 04:36
G'day Rammel,

I used Bob Tait and ATC and both were great, but as airjordan said ATC is information overload. It is good to get a understanding of the topics, so the ATC are definitely worth it, but Bob Tait are much more straight to the point and for me was clearer, easier to understand and more relevant to the CASA exam.

Goodluck with them :ok:

Aussie
21st Dec 2007, 05:05
Yeah likewise, Bob Tait, you cannot go wrong!

If you can pass his practise exams, you will not struggle in the real deal!

Good luck mate.

boardpig
21st Dec 2007, 05:06
At the risk of sounding repetitive... Mr Bob is the way.

Done all self study with his books. Pay for a few practice cyber exams (also on his web site), they are worth doing before the actual exam.

Not easy but very do-able.
BP.

boardpig
21st Dec 2007, 05:15
Sorry for the thread drift but since we're "almost" on the subject, is it possible to self study the ATPL's? I've heard differing views on attending courses and the self method.

Lasiorhinus
21st Dec 2007, 06:11
In my opinion, a full time course is the absolute best way to do the CPL subjects. Full time per subject, that is, without necessarily being full time for the entire 7 subjects at once.

The best of the full time courses is Lionel Taylor in Melbourne, but if you can't do that, Bob Tait is the best of the textbooks.

Personally, I wouldnt touch Aviation Theory Centre textbooks with a corroded wing spar. I dont think they give you any idea which areas to emphasise, though from experience, its often the areas they only cover in passing. ATC practise exam questions I found to be the worst of the lot- giving you a false expectation of what the real exam will be like.

WannaBeBiggles
21st Dec 2007, 06:22
Another vote for Bob!

I'm doing his fulltime CPL theory school in January so will be able to give full feedback on that then, but from talking to people who have done it and all had only good things to say about his course.

I will also be doing my IREX with him. :ok:

SydneyAeros
21st Dec 2007, 06:23
I've used the ATC books for Gen Knowledge and Human Factors exams and only scraping in at around the 78% rate - which I am disappointed with given the level of self study I've done.

I'm also using the Val Dyson Holland practice exams as well as the Bob Tait cyber exams. I find that the practice exams cover questions that just aren't covered or highlighted like they should be by the ATC books.

So - I'm going to grab the Bob Tait books and see how they go for the next 2 exams seeing as though you guys think they are the best.

Aussie
21st Dec 2007, 08:37
From my experience mate,

You can do all the ATPLs self study, however its going to require some motivation and determination...

I did all mine Self Study, other then Flight planning, i think its easier to sit a class for it and learn it from someone who knows what they are talking about!

Good luck

Pomypilot
21st Dec 2007, 11:02
Vote Bob:ok: for CPL

Home study/distance learning course for ATPL good but, as it has been said stay away from distractions like ........having a life and the pub:p just knuckle down and get some study in. You know it will be worth it.

Oh by the way, I agree, classrooms......too many distractions and timewasting students and anoying fu:mad:ers asking stupid questions like why dont you have any weather in the stratosphere and is it bumpy up there and :ugh: :ugh::ugh: Arrrrr fu:mad:offffffffffff!!

So as you can see, for once, stay at home!:E

ZK-Awesome
21st Dec 2007, 21:28
What about self-study for the NZ CPL theory?

I currently use the Aviation Theory Centre books for my NZ PPL subjects - if I was to do a self-study CPL subject for an NZ CPL, (therefore taking an ASL exam), would I be better off with Bob Tait's books rather than the Aviation Theory Centre ones?

Unhinged
21st Dec 2007, 21:47
ATPL Sorry for the thread drift but since we're "almost" on the subject, is it possible to self study the ATPL's? I've heard differing views on attending courses and the self method.

Yes completely possible. I couldn't take time off work, so did all of them (including the dreaded Flight Planning) with the AFT materials, and averaged one a fortnight from start to finish.

The AFT materials were spot on in all ways, including the scope of material covered and the practice exams.

However, having good study materials is only part of the equation. By far the most important ingredient is your own motivation and committment. It hurt to turn down so many good pub sessions and pleasant evenings with the girl while getting them done, but the result was well worth it.

rammel
22nd Dec 2007, 00:38
Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like I'll be buying Bob's books soon.

Regarding the ATPL's, when I get round to them I'll do some self study and others with Nathan Higgins. It will most likely be Flight Planning, but that hurdle is still in the distance.

boardpig
22nd Dec 2007, 07:22
Thanks too for the ATPL advice. I've got the AFT stuff and so will begin in the new year.
Hope you all have a smashin xmas and new year!!:D

Capt Wally
22nd Dec 2007, 07:36
....for CPL's......Bob Tait should see you thru there............for the ATPL subjects?................when you get to that stage there's only one Guru on planet I reckon for the complexe exams & that's Nathan Higgins (Advanced Flt Theory) up at Maroochy...............this guy is a freak with knowledge & good short cuts to wittle down the possible answers :)

Capt Wally:-):)