PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at Mill - BM LBA

Flat-Cap
20th Oct 2000, 14:24
Being only a humble flight-deck type, and therefore being lightly versed in the dark arts of keeping punters happy. I am becoming increasingly concerned about the treatment and rostering of the cabin staff at BM LBA.

It seems that any form of stable rostering has been chucked out of the window. The situation would appear to have been getting worse all year. The point has now been reached that there is no good will left amoung the ca's. People are turning up for a rostered morning duty arrive only to be told that they will now be operating a 13 hour day, almost to max duty,followed by min. rest and 6am report the next day. This goes on day after day.

To their credit all the ca staff have been bending over backward to constantly bail rostering out of increasingly deep holes, but as fatigue sets and people are a little less accomodating, veiled treats now seem to be seeping out "The Hall" in order to ensure that flight actually do go. The rules relating to duty periods, rest, numbers of types flown in a day change at the whim of the rostering department, with little regard to any previous agreements and on one or two memorable moments the law (though I would hope that this is out ignorance rather than a deliberate breaking of the rules), ca's have been asked to operate aircraft for which the are not rated, and ouside the rules set out in the Air Navigation Order, which would make the flight illegal. Had not the ca's involved point blank refused who knows what may have happened.

As a result moral has collapsed, the ca appear permanently knackered, and understandably stressed and wound-up. This cannot be good for the them, the airline, the pax and safety. I know that while we in the pointy bit, occasionally moan about our duty periods, what the ca in LBA are being asked to do frankly amazes me. If the flight-deck were asked to operate under similar conditions there would be up-roar, mass sickness, and the undoubted involvement of BALPA HQ.

My admiration of the job that ca's do has only increased as this crisis has continued, but I'd feel that until the cabin stop being so helpful, become a bit more stroppy with HQ, and act collectively the pressure will only increase. Until flights are cancelled I don't think Donington will take the slightest notice.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Anyway the flat-cap is off in honour of the ca's working way beyong the call of duty.

Fond regards

Flat-Cap.

------------------
See all say nowt
Sup all pay nowt
and never do owt for nowt

Slaaag
20th Oct 2000, 17:44
Why aren't your CC involving a union! I would as I could only do it for a short period of time, as for reporting for a short flt then put on a 13 hour day, can't they refuse?

ruthie
21st Oct 2000, 21:30
In answer, no we can't refuse if we do we'd probably be hauled in, it's actually the same in alot of bases.

Desk Driver
24th Oct 2000, 20:27
I know nothing of the situation and normally would not comment, but, well said Flat Cap, some others would'nt even notice let alone care. If you pilots complained to HQ about CA fatigue affecting saftey, would something be done then?

------------------
-------------------------
You fly em we'll fill em!

penumbra
26th Oct 2000, 16:41
Hmmm, yes it's surprising how much pressure can be put on you to make the flight happen.

When you're on your own with a load of trainers/crewing telling you to fly or else, it's hard to think of who your union rep. is let alone how to contact them. Not that I have a lot of time for the unions.

And if you do insist on your "rights" (are you really, really sure it is a legal right?) you just know your roster is going to be vile for the forseeable future - completely coincidental of course!

Fair enough, you gotta be company minded at times but there is a limit. It's just not clear where that limit is.

Only way to hit back safely is to make sure the 'phone is well off the hook before and immediately after standbys. No early callouts here! (yes I know, even that backfires on occasion)

So whats the solution? Clearly defined rules and limits I guess that everyone knows about and can demonstrate (once thats sorted out a quick calendat type computer program could easily show whose done what, what limits are being approached etc. etc. - I wonder why the airlines don't ahve such a beast? Naive aren't I?)

chilled
27th Oct 2000, 21:21
With regard to crew being asked to operate on a/c types that they are not rated on, are BM going mad or what? If the CAA find out there will be some big SH_T flying (pardon the pun) around.
And as for the rest of the problems then the CA's have got to stick together and complain complain complain. We did it in out company and it has worked to a degree, at least we get realistic rosters now that are not all minimum rest!!

IFS to Flight Deck
28th Oct 2000, 02:34
Get in touch with YOUR union- Cabin Crew '89!
If you don't know who your rep is contact CC89 Head Office.

Get it sorted!

JB007
29th Oct 2000, 15:49
As an ex-LBAer sorry to hear the grim news. When I was at LBA (early 90's) BMA was the dogs bo!!ocks, shame it's gone downhill a little.
You might want to drop a note in the Flight Ops / Crewing Forum, I think alot of this adding extra duties on to a duty and been told on report goes on else where...your not alone...see what reaction you get, their is a few guys from the "Low Cost" market knocking about in there - aim at getting there view.

Hope things improve,
Cheers
From a fellow Yorkshireman!!!
P.s Like the signature!

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.