PDA

View Full Version : Shaheen Air

newscaster
20th Dec 2007, 14:40
This time confirmed NL will be starting twice weekly service each Islamabad-Leeda/Bradford and Islamabad-Luton (Karachi and Lahore too later) from 7 February with A310 leased from Saga Airlines(Turkey).

Also plan Faisalabad-Glasgow from third quarter 2008 and Stansted from Islamabad, Karachi and Lahore in 2009.

Powerjet1
20th Dec 2007, 20:41
Nothing on their website as far as I can see regarding LTN, only LBA.

answer=42
20th Dec 2007, 21:36
Is this the same Shaheen Airways that were flying wetleased Ukrainian YAK 42Ds as recently as 2002?

Never again.

StoneyBridge Radar
20th Dec 2007, 21:51
Well. they only have one serviceable A310 at the moment, TC-SGC, MSN 519, first flight 20JUL89.
Previous owners include:
28/11/1989 Kenya Airways 5Y-BFT lsd ILFC
01/02/2002 Air India VT-EVI
15/06/2005 Air Algerie TC-SGC Operated by Saga
17/12/2005 Mahan Air TC-SGC lsd from SAGA
21/10/2006 Saga Airlines TC-SGC
Stoney

Yeadon Dam
21st Dec 2007, 07:07
I hear it is at Islamabad at present being prepared for service.

Flights into LBA are on a Thursday and Sunday, NL803 inbound, arriving at 20:30.

Would they need to do some crew training runs into LBA before starting in service??

newscaster
22nd Dec 2007, 14:35
Luton schedule:

TUE & SAT

ISB 16:30 - LTN 20:00
LTN 22:30 - ISB 11:15

adamkhan
12th Jan 2008, 21:53
The way theyre going i dont see them being around for long, very similiar marketing strategies to UKIA, agents required to pay substantial upfront fee's, not a normal procedure, I hear from some asian travel agents:=

newscaster
15th Jan 2008, 18:19
ISB-LTN to start from 30 March, however I too feel none of these not-so-big UK airport international links to Asia will last regardless of whoever starts them.

BombardierCR7
15th Jan 2008, 20:46
What rubbish newscaster

2001 census, I am assuming little variation from these figures:

20% of the UK Pakistani population live in West Yorkshire, with particular concentrations in Bradford and Dewsbury. Closest airport Leeds Bradford obviously. This does not take into account the 18% over and above this figure who live in the Greater Manchester area with particular concentration in Oldham, Ashton and Rochdale, all within the extended catchment area of LBA

19% live in Greater London and the tri counties, with concentration in Luton and the nortern suburbs of London. Also in addition 23% live in the West and East Midlands with high concentration in Leicester and Coventry. All of which either in the core or extended catchment area of Luton Airport.

If Shaheen fail (or any other airline) to capitalise on the largest Pakistani catchment areas in the UK, then it is due to a failure of business model of the airline concerned, namely price or how the product has been placed. It has nothing to do with the fact they are "not so big" airports.

newscaster
22nd Jan 2008, 17:30
Well why didnt BMI or BMed show any interest in launching services form these lucrative markets, why are only second or third tier or should I say rate airlines targetting them, not even PIA has been intersted in flying to anyof these money making destinations, and by not-so-big I meant in comparison to main destinations London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.

And Shaheen Foundation only have 1% percent stake in the airline while 99% belongs to new owners.

LTNman
22nd Jan 2008, 18:17
by not-so-big I meant in comparison to main destinations London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow.

And there I was thinking that Luton was a London Airport.

BombardierCR7
22nd Jan 2008, 18:38
newscaster - since when have bmi or BMed shown an interest in serving the UK - Pakistan market from any airport? isn't that like saying why haven't Ryanair or Easyjet not served them - perhaps it's not in their stategic business model for them!

As for PIA they serve the major airport in each of these regions due to the size of the core and extended catchment areas. Each of these catchments contain or overlap with areas of large Pakistani population. Why would PIA operate into additional airports within these catchment areas when there is no competition? Shaheen (or whoever else may come along at some point) have perhaps identified as part of their business model that they can directly serve these communites from alternative airports in the region without going head to head with PIA on the same city pair. Should Shaheen find a niche market, then you may see PIA change the way it operates in his market. Afterall, PIA have dropped their lead in price from MAN by £120, ironically a few days after the Shaheen announcement. One presumes they see this move by Shaheen as a threat to markets it believed it had control of.

I'm not saying Shaheen will be successful or not, that will be up to how well they place their product, how financiall secure they are, and how competition reacts. My point, newscaster, is that your comments show you have a lack of understanding of geographic and population demographics of the UK in relation to this subject. Either that, or you have a vested interest (I also note your comments on the UKIA thread) to see such ventures fail.

aeulad
22nd Jan 2008, 22:11
Actually BombardierCR7, you are very wrong on that front. Newscaster is bang on! It was known internally that BMED's next destination was to be Lahore, as an extension of the Yerevan route. Lahore is, in fact still on BMI's potentials list.

Regards

Mike

BombardierCR7
23rd Jan 2008, 08:45
Aeulad I think you have missed my point and the nature of newscasters comments. It maybe true, but Bmi/BMed are predominately centred around LHR for it's mid/long haul aspirations, and if you say they may start Lahore, then it is an extention of an existing route from LHR, not the regions which is the point of my post and the discussion at hand - specifically the use of alternative regional departure airports to the usual suspects within the catchment areas of large UK based Pakistani communities.

Centre cities
23rd Jan 2008, 09:31
I think if you look at a lot of the traffic it is visiting freinds and relatives especially from the regions, that is why the big boys are not that interested. As stated in a previous post the main areas are well covered by PIA on their existing flights and main carriers via hubs.

Shaheen and UKIA (if they survive) will be VFR with low profit margins if any.

Centre cities

LeedsN1
23rd Jan 2008, 14:07
I'm new to the forum.

are they still planning to fly to Lohore from Leeds Bradford this year or next year.

GW76
23rd Jan 2008, 15:21
Planning, yes...actually operating....different story.:eek:

andyafc
4th Feb 2008, 16:33
wheres the advert for the luton service?

newscaster
5th Feb 2008, 14:53
LTN planned for March 30 but not confirmed.

Dr747
5th Feb 2008, 17:49
I think only a solid player like BMI might be able to stand against PIA. In recent times we have seen SWEFLY and now UKIA(and offcourse poor management in this case) gone bust for not being able to cope against PIA and its price drops. I wish the best of luck to Shaheen however given their poor cabin service/ bad punctuality and poor aircrafts, I do not see them lasting for too long against PIA.
Lets just hope for some more direct flights to Pakistan especially to Lahore. Its a shame to see a nice airport like LHE to be not busy at all. Does anyone know anything about Aeroasia's plans?

14 loop
5th Feb 2008, 19:12
I have no real knowledge of Shaheen's product, their service nor their punctuality - however I'd say in one regard they hold an advantage over Swefly and UKIA in that they are a Pakistani airline.

Can't imagine too many punters of non-Pakistani extraction wanting to fly to Lahore, Islamabad etc, therefore a Pakistani airline used to the customs and culture of Pakistani life is surely beter placed to serve this market.

bmi have surely got more lucrative/easier places to fly to.

alangirvan
6th Feb 2008, 02:39
Will a smaller airline from Pakistan, whether it is Shaheen or Aero Asia or AirBlue have any more luck flying from one or two Pakistani cities to one or two regional UK airports.

The best airline to link regional UK with Pakistani cities would be an "Emirates-Lite" airline, perhaps based at Sharjah or one of the smaller UAE cities. A310s or 767-200s would be fine aircraft, to hub say three UK cities with three cities in Pakistan or India. Some people might use the airline as a low cost way to have a holiday in Thailand.

Ian Brooks
6th Feb 2008, 07:06
Air Blue is doing very well on MAN ISB and when they get the A330 will get even better

Ian

newscaster
6th Feb 2008, 15:17
Shaheen are not competing against PIA is PIA flying LBA or targetting that community?

TheDesertFerret
6th Feb 2008, 15:50
You'll have to explain your logic newscaster.

Shaheen will be competing directly against PIA from Manchester.

Drive time from Hudds and Bradders to MAN and LBA ain't that much different.

If the target community was based in Harrogate I'd be with you.

Suzeman
6th Feb 2008, 15:53
Shaheen are not competing against PIA is PIA flying LBA or targetting that community?

PIA has been targetting the W Yorkshire Pakistan community for its MAN flights for years and has been carrying many pax from this region, so Shaheen is competing with them.

Suzeman

robo283
8th Feb 2008, 09:00
See also the LBIA thread for further details of the first flight.

Powerjet1
10th Feb 2008, 14:47
Understand from a reliable source that the Shaheen flights to LTN have met with a setback, and are unlikely to start until at least the end of April at the earliest.

Sean Dillon
10th Feb 2008, 16:59
It was a complete shambles at LBA as far as air safety was concerned!

Be interested to know what their fuel policy is!!!!

LEEDS APPROACH
10th Feb 2008, 18:33
Honiley/Sean Dillon,

can you go into anymore detail - you have not given us much to go on. It is not that I think you are trying to discredit the airline but am genuinely interested as to what the issue was.

Leeds App.

rfnash
10th Feb 2008, 19:58
Quite frankly i was mortified to read these spurious comments which obviously came from people suffering from a lack of quid quo pro.

GW76
10th Feb 2008, 20:07
So more to do with ground handling and dispatch rather than the airline directly...?

HOODED
10th Feb 2008, 20:51
Well the second flight is on the ground so lets see if it goes direct this time? Given the wind is not favouring 14 this time which offers far greater TODA than 32 it will be interesting. Believe it's full outbound again, can anyone confirm?

DispExt
10th Feb 2008, 21:45
I wouldn't believe everything you hear from 'credible' sources because at least 2 of those comments I know are wrong

DispExt
10th Feb 2008, 21:49
ground handling and dispatch don't set the bag and pax levels nor the aircraft's max takeoff weights but they do ensure the aircraft departs safely within these, thus if bags are offloaded it is not a ground handling problem but infact exactly what they are supposed to do.

POL1W
10th Feb 2008, 22:50
Those rumours have become a little over embellished on their way to 2nd and 3rd hand ears. A DispExt said two of those "facts" were wrong, if not three. The aircraft operated well within its performance limits.

Honiley
11th Feb 2008, 05:39
You're somewhat missing the point!

The aircraft operated well within its performance limits.

I never said it didn't - my point was the requirement to get it to that stage and more importantly, it's fuel contents!

...because at least 2 of those comments I know are wrong

Well, i'm just contributing to what is a Pro Pilots rumour website...(and my collegue who was at LBA at the time!)

robo283
11th Feb 2008, 12:05
The figures quoted for the Thursday flight are way over the top.

Very few problems this time. Check in was slick, the earlier 'operational issues' did not crop up again. Light load inbound but that is to be expected at this stage. Good load outbound.

DispExt
11th Feb 2008, 13:39
i agree, a few issues need to ironed out, and some planning done for the summer when jet2 are likely to be using check-in hall B aswell. appears there has been good cooperation between the airport and servisiar too

HOODED
11th Feb 2008, 19:58
Did it go direct this time? Given the wind was virtually calm and it was near full if not full, it will be a good indication for future long haul from LBAs modest runway.
Will be interesting in summer when the temperatures rise, perhahps Bridgepoint ought to think seriously about a runway extension rather than more shops in the terminal!

:ugh:

AircraftOperations
11th Feb 2008, 20:13
Certainly had a direct flightplan - whether it had to make an unscheduled stop close to ISB, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Andy_S
13th Feb 2008, 09:57
Isn't this supposed to be a Shaheen Air thread?

newscaster
14th Feb 2008, 15:48
Yes posts more suited to other topics have been brought here for no reason.

What will Shaheen do after 90 days when accoridng to new Pakistan laws they have to start using Pakistan registered aircraft.

robo283
14th Feb 2008, 21:22
I'm told the loads are still about one-third capacity inbound and nearly full out which is good at this stage.

Runway 32/14
14th Feb 2008, 22:12
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/bluemax-1/Shaheen%20UK/1.jpg

I have just looked at the advertising banner.....it's very good, but has anyone got any pictures of the Shaheen flight actually on the Tarmac at LBA

LBIA
15th Feb 2008, 13:15
Hi

Yet more Good news for Shaheen Air long haul operations

The airline is adding a 3rd weekly Leeds to Islamabad service from March 3rd. The new rotation will be operated on Fridays along with the existing Thursday and Sunday flights.

Runway 32/14
15th Feb 2008, 13:23
That is great new's....lets hope it is a case of Shaheen starting as they mean to go on......have you any details on flight times in and out, on the new friday slot:ok:

LBIA, can i ask you where you got your information from, i am just curious:\
LBIA, would that be a week commencing Monday 3rd March or will the flight be on Fiday 7th March

robo283
15th Feb 2008, 18:53
Runway 32/14:

I tried to PM one to you but you can't receive PMs! Contact me directly.

Good news if it is going to 3 pw; they have said that they plan 4 pw asap and daily by the end of Summer (though I can't see that somehow).

robo283
15th Feb 2008, 19:21
Runway 32/14 you still can't receive PMs. Please send me an e-mail address and I'll contact you outside Pprune if you like.

Runway 32/14
15th Feb 2008, 20:07
Could someone please advice me on how to allow Private Messaging :ugh:

In the yellow bar at the top of the page click on 'User CP' which is on the far left. Then click on 'Edit Options' and change your settings.

flybar
17th Feb 2008, 14:27
Tonights arrival at LBA expected to be 53 minutes late. Becoming the norm.
Having never visited Islamabad is this normal punctuality for them?

AircraftOperations
17th Feb 2008, 15:57
Sure I saw an SAI flight number out of a southern UK airport yesterday.

Is that a possibility?

A300BOY
17th Feb 2008, 17:23
Yes I have been to Islamabad twice operating relief flights during the period of the earthquake sponsored by Dhl. It was very busy with relief helicopter flights and large heavy freighters but not many passenger aircraft and the whole atmosphere seemed pretty relaxed so I would not expect a 1 hour delay to be a problem !

LGS6753
17th Feb 2008, 18:12
Aircraftops -

There was an SAI flight planned out of Luton, which I don't think materialised. The timings were commensurate with the Shaheen plans for Luton-Islamabad, now apparently deferred until March.

Presumably the plan was not cancelled, and may reappear in future weeks.

Runway 32/14
22nd Feb 2008, 11:00
Islamabad Flights Increase As Demand Soars
20 February 2008
Shaheen Air International has today announced that their non-stop service to Islamabad from Leeds Bradford Airport will increase from two to three times a week from 07 March. The airline launched the first ever-direct service to Islamabad on 07 February 2008.

The new service is operated by a wide bodied A310 aircraft and has been an exciting addition to the growing range of services available from LBIA and has proved extremely popular with the Yorkshire Pakistani community.

With 3 flights a week to Leeds, and with Luton starting up, how will they find time to Livery up the aircraft, Do you think that they might lease further aircraft until the Livery is complete.

newscaster
22nd Feb 2008, 15:46
Shaheen are buying the A310s off Saga Airlines in April, so they will get full livery after that.

robo283
23rd Feb 2008, 07:29
Another forum has got some more details about Shaheen. Apparently their domestic growth between July 06 and June 07 was 'an impressive 604%'. Impressive? Mind boggling is more like it.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/bluemax-1/Parwaz/Parwaz-7.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/bluemax-1/Parwaz/Parwaz-8.jpg

Purchasing the A310s would demonstrate a fair degree of commitment. Despite the punctuality issue, it appears that the operation has got off to a reasonable start and is very good for LBA.

LEEDS APPROACH
23rd Feb 2008, 23:15
Looking forward to seeing A310s in your lovely livery. Already hearing really good feedback from Yorkshire customers of their delight at not having to travel to MAN. Think the service will only get more popular as word spreads. (My local fast food guy is already booked).

Leeds App.

Runway 32/14
25th Feb 2008, 08:42
It is bad enough for the passangers when flights are delayed, but i feel sorry for the Pilots and crew staff, an 8 hour flight in to LBA 5 hours on the ground and then a further 8 hours to fly back to ISB, i wouldn't imagin that they have a crew turn around, but i could be wrong..are there any laws on flying times, like there are with HGV's

Shyted
25th Feb 2008, 09:31
Runway 32/14,

Maximum crew hours are approx 14hrs based on the time they report for duty and amount of landings. 14hrs is normally a report time between 0700 and 1100 local at point of departure and a maximum of 2 landings. Anytime after 1100 and more than 2 landings the duty time reduces accordingly. They can exceed duty in unforeseen circumstances and at the Captains discretion but it is not common practice.
There will definately be a crew change in LBA on this service.

Runway 32/14
25th Feb 2008, 09:42
Cheers Shyted, For clearing that up for me.....much appreciated

Leodis
25th Feb 2008, 10:28
The airline definitely changes crew at Leeds Bradford. As for the delay I couldn't comment.

LeedsN1
25th Feb 2008, 10:59
Found this on Leeds Bradford Airport News Stories

"According to press reports there is also a possibility that Shaheen Air could be about to announce another direct route from Leeds Bradford - to Lahore. The airline is said to be so encouraged by demand for the Islamabad service that it is hoping to introduce the second destination".

BYALPHAINDIA
26th Feb 2008, 00:08
Not seen any adverts in YEP or T&A so far.

adamkhan
26th Feb 2008, 21:00
does anyone know what capacity they are at? someone told me that they aregoing full but comming back half empty?

LBIA
26th Feb 2008, 21:34
Hi

Some wont believe me when I say this but on Sunday night the Shaheen Air flight to Islamabad went direct from LBA again but not of runway 14 as normal but instead in the other direction of runway 32.

Well I did not think this would be possible with a full load of Passengers, Baggage and fuel, but I have it on good authority that it did in fact happen and that it didn’t have a tec stop

Can anyone confirm this did in fact happen and did they have to take bags or passengers of the aircraft to do so???

DispExt
26th Feb 2008, 21:57
yes it did indeed take off on 32, and i believe it was nearly full - around the 190 mark

Shunter
27th Feb 2008, 17:20
You can't just pick and choose which runway you want, it's governed by the wind. You take off, fly the SID (standard instrument departure), then you join the airways and go where you need to go. Leeds has a number of SIDs via nearby VORs. For example, POL1W is a 32 SID, and POL1X is a 14; they both terminate at POL VOR, just that X will take a fraction longer as you're initially flying away from the VOR.

Say the aircraft was going to take off on 14 and head in that general direction, they would have taken off into the wind (the general rule), so despite pointing the right way they would have a headwind. Taking off on 32 into a headwind would mean they actually had a tailwind once they got to POL and did a U-turn. Clear as mud?

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
27th Feb 2008, 19:37
Guys - wouldn't some of these detailed Leeds posts be better on that thread?? :bored::bored:

Standing by for incoming!

robo283
27th Feb 2008, 19:37
Loads seem to be full or thereabouts LBA-ISB and although initially lighter on the ISB-LBA sector they have been improving. As far as I am aware they are non-stop and I don't know of any tech stops. I think ATC plays a part in the delays, especially outside Eurocontrol airspace, but can't give any hard evidence of that.

Good luck to them; they are certainly trying.

lbalad
28th Feb 2008, 20:06
Tonights flight landed 20:57,not bad at all!.

Lets hope they can turn it around a bit quicker than sundays flight,nearly 5 hours on ground at LBA.

Way to go Shaheen!.

yeo valley
28th Feb 2008, 21:25
i recon landing and take off times should be moved to spotters corner,as seem like a lot of spotters on here.
cheers y v.

lbalad
28th Feb 2008, 22:10
Not a spotter,just an interested supporter of my local airport!.

Whilst it is good news for LBA that Shaheen has started flights from said airport,with reported good pax figures,I would not like these flights to be affected by regular delays that may deter future travellers.

Shall zip up my anorak and comment no further!

LEEDS APPROACH
28th Feb 2008, 22:21
It is a simple comment about the on time performance of a new route from a foreign airline to our airport. I don't see that it is much different to you mentioning plane registrations in one of your posts. :)

Regards,

Leeds App.

yeo valley
29th Feb 2008, 13:37
re post 75
sorry it offended a few. it was not ment to come out like it did. been a long tiring day and should have messaged when head not so tired. hope the airline does well and keep doing well. perhaps more routes and a daily service with onward connections at some point
cheers yv

Runway 32/14
7th Mar 2008, 20:51
http://www.lbia.co.uk/graphics/airlinelogos/nl.gifhttp://www.lbia.co.uk/graphics/clearfiller.gifNL803 ISLAMABAD 2030 LANDED 20:28

HOODED
7th Mar 2008, 20:55
Would that be the first of the Friday flights then? Guess they are working the aircraft hard as it was in last night too or have they got their second frame yet?

robo283
7th Mar 2008, 21:00
Yes this is the first Friday rotation. Good on 'em for getting here early. Will it leave on schedule though :cool:

Seems to be going better than everybody's expectations so far :D

A320fan
14th Mar 2008, 20:49
Well the tides have turned, lets hope the people criticising Shaheen have wound their necks back in about arrival times. All we need to do now is sort out the departure times! :}

newscaster
24th Apr 2008, 14:42
Shaheen A310 lease will end this week as Pak CAA ruling 90 day period of leasing foreign aircraft expires, second A310 hasnt joined fleet too, both were supposed to be bought off from Saga this month, no Luton update either, wiki was showing LTN tentative from June 30 but that has been removed altogether.

Buster the Bear
24th Apr 2008, 16:16
http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/business-news/Luton-to-Pakistan-flights-moving.4008457.jp

LBIA
29th Apr 2008, 20:13
Hi

Don't really know how true this is but its not good news if its right. Shaheen Air Int'l are to suspend its UK-Pakistan route which operates between Leeds/Bradford and Islamabad as of June 1st 2008.

HOODED
29th Apr 2008, 21:16
Thought the route was doing well! Guess it isn't then, either that or they have no aircraft available to do the route given the Pakistani requirement to put the A310s onto their own register within a certain timescale.

Just checked their website and it shows flights in July 3 times weekly if thats any indication.

Fandango71
29th Apr 2008, 21:47
is it owt to do with the fact that the aircraft are leased (Turkish registered) and they haven't managed to get them on to PK registrations?

Yeadon Dam
30th Apr 2008, 07:08
TC-SGB has just gone on lease to Air Algerie. I guess they must be having difficulty securing an appropriate aircraft to operate the route. Loadings have been brilliant by all accounts, so it can't be down to that. The price of crude oil may also be a major factor.

newscaster
30th Apr 2008, 17:37
Air Algerie will get to use it form June or immediately?

HOODED
30th Apr 2008, 19:10
Seems a shame if the loads are infact brilliant! They were supposed to be going daily when the 2nd aircraft arrived. Perhahps they could source some 767-200ER's more easily, if indeed it has the performance to do the trip direct with a decent payload. If not maybe PIA may wake up to the fact that there is a market at this side of the pennines before someone else starts and dilutes their loads ex MAN. Do PIA still have any A310's?

robo283
30th Apr 2008, 19:30
Why not get Jet2 to provide a 757 on a wet lease? More seats available (235 v. 210) Good practice for long haul routes without the commercial risk :cool:

DispExt
30th Apr 2008, 19:38
i believe they will be only operating once a week until june also

ROSSKi MYT
30th Apr 2008, 21:00
PIA still have A310 as they operate that on Glasgow - Faisalabad and Lahore

CabinCrewe
30th Apr 2008, 23:26
The PIA machines are Pakistani registered though, so that is completely different.

HOODED
2nd May 2008, 16:50
Which means PIA could do the LBA flight for Shaheen until they source a replacement ac then!:}

BKS Air Transport
2nd May 2008, 18:17
Confirmed now on LBA website under 'announcements'.

lbalad
2nd May 2008, 21:09
Just when the flights seemed to be a success,this happens.Think it will put a lot of people off flying Shaheen from LBA,if and when the flights resume.

Think people would rather book with PIA or Air Blue from MAN,which seem to be established now.

Oh well,good while it lasted.Never did get to see the A310 at LBA!

newscaster
3rd May 2008, 14:35
A Shaheen pilot has also conirmed suspension, heres a photo of NL A310 at LBA http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79842

Centre cities
3rd May 2008, 20:16
The SAGA A310 operated flights into BHX for some time when the PIA 747 and A310 were not allowed into Europe. Was that over 90 days or did it just seem like it.

Centre cities

Kazamb
3rd May 2008, 20:35
Were these the same aircraft Mahan Air had on wetlease from Saga?

I remeber the PK flights with the silhoeuttes of the Mahan Livery,

robo283
4th May 2008, 22:45
Interesting that they sneaked it in under 'Announcements' not 'News'. Why not just have 'Good News' and 'Bad News'?

I don't think it will affect the demand, as long as they actually come back and don't just clear off to LTN....

newscaster
5th May 2008, 18:45
The A310 was used by PIA and Mahan.

The Real Slim Shady
17th May 2008, 11:18
I was told by my Pakistani pal yesterday that Shaheen have pulled up the drawbridge. They are refunding fares already paid for apparently.

BombardierCR7
17th May 2008, 21:16
I'd question your source.

There is a difference between cessation of a route and a ceasing of operations.

Browse the Shaheenair thread, it may answer you.

Shyted
18th May 2008, 08:32
Flew out of Abu Dhabi lastnight and there was a Shaheen B732 with pax boarding, so dont think they have ceased ops

Shyted

newscaster
18th May 2008, 20:31
One person was told that A310 was too big for LBA.

flybar
18th May 2008, 21:19
The A310 Landed at LBA at 1952 tonight.
It has had no problems landing and taking off at LBA and I would suggest that the reported problems with the continuing lease of the aircraft are the cause of the suspension of the service.

BombardierCR7
18th May 2008, 22:48
I understand it is the cost per seat rather than the operational size of the A310 that was the issue.

From (unofficial) information that I have gained, is that Shaheen are keen to re-start the LBA service before the end of the year, but with larger more economical (A330 was mentioned to me) equipment.

I would guess sourcing such equipment at a price Shaheen would be willing to pay may be challenging in the current market.

chris1976
19th May 2008, 21:07
Maybe someone could clarify this for me, but would the LBA runway be sufficient for an A330 nonstop to Islamabad. I know the A310 managed fine, but would this be the case for an A330 ?

flybar
19th May 2008, 21:21
The runway at LBA is 80 metres shorter than NCL where the A330 copes OK. Cant see it being a major problem.

Flying Yorkshireman
20th May 2008, 18:28
Yes, but LDA (Landing Distance Available) on 32 at 6,286 feet with the slope and only 5,912 feet on 14 could be a problem, as potentially could the Take Off run on 32 with Otley Chevin looming.

Perhaps some of the experts could comment.

Yeadon Dam
21st May 2008, 07:00
There is a rumour doing the rounds that they are sourcing their own aircraft instead of leasing. October is being banded about as a possible relaunch.

A310's have coped well with both 14 and 32 over the last 4 months. It never diverted and I think I am right in saying only once had to make a tech stop en route to ISB.

I personally would like to see them get some 767/200's if they can.

LeedsN1
22nd May 2008, 17:58
yea i've heard this rummer is true, hope its true.

newscaster
24th May 2008, 16:11
Where did the flight tech at?

24th May 2008, 16:57
If you would like a good read on the subject, I suggest Air Accident Investigation Branch 2/1987 G-BBAI. Sorry can't do "link" things but it comes right up on Google with no trouble.

Teevee
25th May 2008, 21:40
Guys, there's much talk of of the A330 or A310 being able to take off or land at LBA but really it means nothing. What counts is profit, and what makes a flight profitable is the maximum number of passengers plus the greatest amount of profitable cargo.

The real issue is the TOW of the above aircraft - landing isn't much of an issue as you've burned off a lot of weight on the trip.. If the TOW doesn't comprise a profitable load then it doesn't matter if the pax are crammed in like sardines - without profitable freight (which ups the TOW) the yield won't be enought to put the flight into profit ...

BYALPHAINDIA
25th May 2008, 22:18
I can't get my head around this 'shaheen business'

I mean they start a new route, Run it succesfully for x number of weeks, increase the flights, And also talk about an extra 3rd weekly flight.

Then out of the 'blue' - oh we're sorry but we won't have an aircraft to use after the end of may??? Pathetic.:rolleyes::ugh:

Is this just a poor excuse, Or is there an 'undisclosed' operational problem here???:hmm:

If shaheen really wanted to run LBA - ISB then they would find a replacement aircraft quickly???

It just doesn't sound right, When they have had excellent bookings from the Yorkshire area, And suddenly call it time.

Maybe they should kick their current 'lessor' into touch and give GPA or someone a bell asap.:D

Why is the current A310 not available after the end of may???

It doesn't all make sense to me.:*

A320fan
26th May 2008, 10:14
Good rinse as far as i'm concerned, yes it was great at the beginning but I agree completely with BYALPHAINDIA.

But hey there is good news!!!! a little dicky bird told me that PIA are coming to Leeds Bradford instead ....

Runway 32/14
15th Jun 2008, 18:06
It is true i see that Pakistani Airlines will be taking over the Islamabad route as of the 2nd of July with two flights a week (Wednesday & Saturdays)....it is a shame that Shaheen couldn't resolve their aircraft issues, it was obvious that if Shaheen were doing well and couldn't sort out replacement aircraft, that someone else would..

I wish P.I.A all the best in their new venture from LBIA.

newscaster
19th Jun 2008, 18:19
Its is true.

http://www.piac.com.pk/PIA_GSD/images/Bradford-english-ad.jpg