PDA

View Full Version : Barodontalgia

PyroTek
20th Dec 2007, 11:52
Hey, I'm not sure.. but i was in a 737 descending into brisbane this arvo and i got sudden pains just above my teeth (i think, they were baddd) on my left side. I remember having it once before, last year, it doesn't come often, but i suspect it's Barodontalgia. And i was wondering if there is a way to treat it inflight, or just to try and get rid of it.

It is quite annoying, esp with the fact i'm doing pilot training at the moment.

It's only an inkling, it could be nothing.

Mac the Knife
20th Dec 2007, 17:15
Barodontalgia among flyers: a review of seven cases.

Holowatyj RE (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Holowatyj%20RE%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubme d_RVAbstractPlusDrugs2).

Department of oral medicine and pathology, faculty of dentistry, University of Toronto.

"Once referred to as "flyer's toothache," barodontalgia is defined as tooth pain occurring with changes in ambient pressure. It usually occurs in people who fly or dive. It can develop in conjunction with sinusitis, and in teeth experiencing pulpitis after restorative treatment, new and recurrent caries, intra-treatment endodontic symptoms, dental and periodontal cysts, or abscesses. Although the causal process of barodontalgia is not well understood, it may be related to pulpal hyperemia, or to gases that are trapped in the teeth following incomplete root canal treatment. Patients who are frequently exposed to changes in ambient pressure should be encouraged to follow good oral health practices, attend regularly-scheduled dental recall examinations and accept the timely completion of restorative treatment to minimize the possibility of developing barodontalgia.<snip>"

:ok: