PDA

View Full Version : Victorian MAS Contract: 2 new helis

skid shoe
20th Dec 2007, 11:14
Word is that the winner of the Victorian Metropolitan Ambulance Service Contract may have been announced today but I have not been able to find anything in the media that confirms who the winner is.
My information is that at the very least, one of the final bidders was told that they are no longer being considered. Does anybody know who might have actually won the contract or if the official announcement was even made?

Cheer
SS

Capt SFB
21st Dec 2007, 08:53
SS,

Haven't heard anything, but you're obviously closer than I am. Who were the final contenders ? At a guess, CHC, Australian Helicopters and Jayrow??

Cheers,
SFB

skid shoe
21st Dec 2007, 12:40
Sorry SFB. I'm not that close at all, thats why I had to come in here to see if any other pruners had some news. I didn't mean to sound mysterious in my original post. It's just that SOME (certainly not all) oz pruners seem to take a huge delight in piling s**t on other pruners or the various oz operators whenever there is a bit of bad news, and I didn't want to start a slanging match.
The company that I know to have missed out have actually made an announcement in their company newsletter so it's not a secret. I will say that it is one of those you mentioned though. As for the short list of tenderers - there aren't that many operators in Australia who are in that market and big enough to take on the contract. I'd think your list would just about sum it up.

Cheers
ss

120torque
21st Dec 2007, 12:44
CHC have just put an advert on flightglobal for 412 captains in Victoria ? Coincidence or not ?

Hippolite
21st Dec 2007, 14:09
CHC will win the MAS contract. MAS are already in discussions with CHC about the transition from 412s to the 139s and the short term lower cost of not having to go straight to the 139. The economies of scale with the NSW contract make it hard for others to compete and it is believed that the other bidders were tendering leased aircraft which includes the lessor's profit component.

mickjoebill
22nd Apr 2008, 11:23
The Age, Melbourne. (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ambulance-services-to-get-180m-overhaul/2008/04/22/1208742911282.html)

"MAS has advised that Victoria would benefit from the establishment of a dedicated adult, neonatal and paediatric retrieval helicopter in Essendon and emergency air ambulance helicopter located in Warrnambool," he said

What is the difference in the two types of heli service mentioned above?

Is this the limit or does Victoria still need more medevac helis if response times are to match European standards??

Mickjoebill

Shirtless
22nd Apr 2008, 13:12
The difference is that the new unit out West will be like HEMS 1, 2 and 3 and do emergency medical ops. HEMS 1 (AS365N3) is based in YMEN and crewed by VPAW, HEMS 2 (CHC B412) in Latrobe Valley and HEMS 3 (CHC B412) at Bendigo. The additional 412 (CHC) at EN will be for interhospital and neonatal retrievals and housed at the combined Police / MAS new YMEN complex.

Will the new HEMS machine out West be put out to tender??? Maybe not as it will probably go to CHC as MAS very, very pro CHC and B412s!!;)

Winch-control
22nd Apr 2008, 14:39
Not sure what your argument is? Is it neg CHC or Neg another provider, or Neg...in general? Maybe it will have a positive in there somewhere? Like, why try an match European standards? why not exceed them...or ultimately just provide the best service that is available...

Shirtless
22nd Apr 2008, 22:29
No negatives...just facts!

Another EMS operation that is government funded (hence secure) is always a positive :ok:

Rob Russell
23rd Apr 2008, 01:00
Congratulations to Air Ambulance Victoria on yesterdays announcement by the State Government of Victoria, of 2 new EMS Helicopters for the people of Victoria.

Best wishes for the timely and successful introduction of these aircraft.

Rob. R.

mickjoebill
23rd Apr 2008, 21:29
Not sure what your argument is? Is it neg CHC or Neg another provider, or Neg...in general? Maybe it will have a positive in there somewhere? Like, why try an match European sta

Err no it was a straight question.

Is this the limit for Victoria or should/could there be more helis so (by way of comparison) as to match response times to more densily populated areas of the world.

Your last line you seem to be saying that response times should be better than Europe? If this is the case how many more helis are needed in Victoria?

It is indeed good news albeit a long time in comming.

Mickjoebill

spinwing
24th Apr 2008, 10:28
MMmmmm ...

Are these 412s the ones being released due to the introduction of AW139s in NSW?

Might they be also replaced themselves (in the future) by AW139s?

:ooh:

Shirtless
26th Apr 2008, 04:06
It would be a good bet that the 412's from NSW will filter down to Vic. Makes sense, where else is CHC going to get a 412 in hurry. As to crews to man them...that may be harder to produce...although the attraction of living in a capital city may attract some within the company.

Anyhow I think you will find that the wheels will grind slower than expected being Vic Government based contract. The beaurocrats in Vic don't do anything in a hurry...yawn!!!......well if you go by the Vic Pol contract as, I believe, that still has not been signed off yet and is surely one of the longest running contract negotiations in history (I do believe the tender started 5 years ago:( :{.)

Bat0001
26th Apr 2008, 12:01
G'day all. You may remember this issue has been bubbling for several years, with LifeFlight and Chibs both putting their toe in the water.

WestVic Board have what they have been chasing for a decade.
WestVic don't have to fundraise with this fully government funded option.

SAR EMS and Firefighting.

A win all round I'd say.

Squeaks
27th Apr 2008, 00:44
Certainly a good result, after years of rebuttals from those in power in Spring Street :D

However: when will tenders be called, or is it already fixed for a supplier to get these lucrative contracts without competitive process?

spinwing
27th Apr 2008, 01:07
Mmmmmmm ....

My understanding is that this was FIXED a loooong time ago!

I believe certain interested parties were told in no uncertain fashion what WAS going to happen!

:E

Breeze 29900
11th May 2008, 13:03
Anyone know when the B412's in NSW will be replaced by the AW139 and EC145's, so they can move the B412's to Vic?

helo1
11th May 2008, 20:33
the first AW139 is in Adelaide getting a refit ffor EMS work.
Once that has been completed id say t would be soon after that

Alba T Ross
14th Jul 2008, 06:46
Who is going to operate the new 412 from Essendon? (It won't be CHC!!!)
Vic EMS will have 2 operators now ,CHC for Vicpol Essendon and MAS Bendigo and Latrobe and someone else for MAS Essendon! and will Warrnambool go out to tender or will CHC or the other operator be able to find a 412 for it??

spinwing
14th Jul 2008, 07:43
Mmmmmm ....

Well thats interesting .... 'cos I was told CHC were recruiting for the Essendon job .... though nobody from Adelaide seems to be responding to the "online applications" that were called for ??? ... I also have been told its due to "kick off" late September or early October.

Curiouser and curiouser .....

So whats happening....

vpaw pilot
14th Jul 2008, 10:55
Oh dear....:E

checkyoursix
14th Jul 2008, 11:01
Word around the campfire is that Australian Helicopters have been advised that they are the preferred Tender for two MAS contracts in Vic. Two brand new Bell 412 EP will be purchased off the line and configured for respective aircraft roles and MAS config specs.

First Aircraft to go on line first quarter 09 at Essendon. Crew will be two pilots only to conduct IHT/NEONATAL TFR work. No winch requirement just straight EMS retrievals.

Second Bell 412 will be SPIFR and based out of Warrnambool. Operation to commence Jun 09 with A new facility at Warrnambool Airport to be raised also.

Congrats to all concerned.
:)

spinwing
14th Jul 2008, 11:21
Mmmmmmm ...

Well won't some people in Adelaide be pissed?

Delta Torque
14th Jul 2008, 22:08
Are you an American, Spinwing?

Or did you mean 'pissed off?'

I wouldn't think the lads are getting drunk at this point..

:{

jinglejim
14th Jul 2008, 23:24
If Australian Helicopters are the preferred tender then I hope they have budgeted in competitive wages, because there starting wages for SPIFR is the worst in the country at present except for some charitable operators.

For there sake I hope they can get there act together and be a serious operator to match CHC and Bristow's.

LIFTA
15th Jul 2008, 00:19
A contract that should have been in the bag goes wanting. Stalled pilot EBA negotiations and growing unrest in the ranks.:\

Is anyone in Adelaide taking notice? Maybe this is a new management technique of downsizing through incompetence.

Whisper is that CHC were told thanks but no thanks when they could not commit a firm date for delivery of 412EP for VIC. The biggest operator in the world can't commit firmly for one aircraft. Are the leaders of the Humming bird Oz serious!!:ugh:

Their competitors will be only too happpy to find those elusive airframes for their new clients I bet.

At least the drivers and engineers can rest assured of steady future employment, no matter how much work your management loses. Just may mean a change of company.:ok:

skid shoe
15th Jul 2008, 04:12
Sourced from within Australian Helicopters. CHC "declined". I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is as Lifta says but perhaps there are other reasons. CHC usually do a pretty good job and don't willingly hand business to competitors so it would be interesting to hear from a CHC insider.
I wouldn't be too quick to assume that they couldn't get machines. In post # 17 "CheckYourSix" says that Australian have 2 new machines coming right off the production line. If Australian can get'em then it's a sure bet that CHC could of too.
In any event congratulations to Australian Helicopters. Now when are the jobs being advertised?

sunnywa
16th Jul 2008, 09:30
Why are they buying 412EP's when they could get better aircraft that weren't designed in the 60's?:confused:

Slow, thirsty, noisy, old technology, not that cheap. No wonder Bell haven't moved on as people still keep buying them.

Wonders never cease.

On the driver side, be interesting who they get to fill the seats.

yarpa
16th Jul 2008, 10:39
Can't get airframes for Victoria, can't get pilots for CQ rescue? What exactly can they do except bank the monthly standing charges.

spinwing
16th Jul 2008, 11:05
Mmmmmmm..

So who is doing the the NETS transports while all this is being acted out???

:eek:

BigMike
16th Jul 2008, 11:57
I believe a little white gold and green BK is... ;)

spag
16th Jul 2008, 13:10
Is that Mr E's BK??

BigMike
16th Jul 2008, 21:55
Mr E no longer owns it, but yes that one.

Turkeyslapper
16th Jul 2008, 23:32
'Why are they buying 412EP's when they could get better aircraft that weren't designed in the 60's?:confused:

Slow, thirsty, noisy, old technology, not that cheap. No wonder Bell haven't moved on as people still keep buying them.

Wonders never cease'

Rugged, good sized cabin and not that expensive (compared to an AW139).:ok:

Oogle
17th Jul 2008, 07:53
Mike

Enjoy the long times sitting at the hospital waiting for the crews to get the babies stabilised.

Take a good book or, work out your plan to get back based on the crappy weather that suddenly appears.

Have fun

BigMike
17th Jul 2008, 10:20
"Mike

Enjoy the long times sitting at the hospital waiting for the crews to get the babies stabilised.

Take a good book or, work out your plan to get back based on the crappy weather that suddenly appears.

Have fun"

Yep... I pretty much read every medical poster they had while waiting today... want to know about snake bites or how to remove a fish hook? then I'm your man... ;)

Little Fish
17th Jul 2008, 10:28
They wont match CHC or Bristows because they probably cant afford to but they are the largest fully Australian owned helicopter company at the moment and gaining more and more contracts can only be a good thing for the company and their pilots. Anyway I think the Vicpol guys get worse pay but money isnt everything. The job at vicpol must be great because they dont advertise that often and they never have a shortage of applicants when they do advertise. Probably a combination of job, roster, acft type, pay etc. Standby for tomorrows Australian to see who is teh preferred tenderer anyway. They'll have to advertise soon to secure some more pilots. Apparently there is a shortage.:O

John Eacott
17th Jul 2008, 14:05
BM,

I hope you're enjoying flying the BK: but never, ever, go on a trip without a book to read while you're waiting ;)

Re the comments about the change of contract to AH: hasn't CHC just recruited for the Essendon job? I'm confused :confused:

vetskone
31st Jul 2008, 10:31
:DThere was a report today in W/bool paper that Australian Helicopters have signed a contract for both Essendon and Warrnambool; new 412EP's. Essendon to start first but Warrnambool mid 09.:D

Hippolite
7th Aug 2008, 14:15
Official announcement due 8th August I understand.

PPRuNeUser0212
7th Aug 2008, 23:27
check today's Australian, AH advertising for Pilots, Crewies and Engineers for Essendon, starting Mar 09 and Warrnambool, starting Jul 09.

BigMike
8th Aug 2008, 01:05
Have they really got it, or is this a fishing expedition to see if they can crew it...? ;)

Curious2
8th Aug 2008, 03:37
Australian don't do that! Put your application in as they have it if you want it.

BB's
8th Aug 2008, 04:42
They definately have it and the positions are there to be filled.

Nomex
8th Aug 2008, 08:17
A rudderless Titanic.

Someone in Adelaide needs a bullet for letting this one go.

EBA's or not, I'd be packing my bags before Canada found out!!

Shirtless
8th Aug 2008, 14:21
I think you'll find that it was canada who said don't take it!!

tactical71
10th Aug 2008, 04:00
09/08/2008

Australian HELICOPTERS PTY LTD
Your Career Our Business...
Exceptional Prospects
Australian Helicopters has recently been contracted to provide two new rotary wing services in Victoria and with significant growth already underway, operations are now ready to take off.
With HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Service) 5 (Essendon Retrieval) and HEMS 4 (Warrnambool) targeting start dates of March 09 and July 09 respectively, qualified and team orientated individuals are the key to our successful expansion of operations. Exciting career opportunities exist in Victoria, Horn Island and Adelaide for:
Aircrew
with the following experience/qualifications:
500 hours Rotary
Winch endorsement
First Aid
EMS experience preferred
With a unique chance to establish a career in an organisation that is moving from strength to strength, motivated professionals will make a significant contribution as Australian Helicopters capitalises on this new business venture.
A comprehensive training program will ensure the successful applicants are well positioned to take advantage of this rare opportunity. All candidates will be required to pass security checks with fitness requirements additional for Aircrew.
Apply now to Stuart Spence at [email protected]

666 advo
11th Aug 2008, 09:21
How much is the package worth? Is it going to be competitive with CHC (or what they will end up with after their EBA goes through)? When does the training start or are they looking for ready made 412 guys or would they take other drivers?

6:8

yarpa
11th Aug 2008, 10:28
Somebody drop Stuart Spence an email and put us all out of our misery.

GreenerGrass
11th Aug 2008, 11:26
These are new contracts with the requirement for extra pilots to be brought into the industry. They're not current contracts just transferring to a different operator. So AH need to come up with some SUITABLY qualified pilots from somewhere. To do that they will need to at least pay the current market rate for multi-engine IFR pilots. It will be interesting to see what they offer and how successful they will be. I've heard their package at Horn Island leaves a lot to be desired. What about Adelaide? Are they paid on par with CHC pilots earn,(or what CHC pilots are about to be paid)?

ivan
12th Aug 2008, 09:22
What are CHC currently offering pre-EBA finalisation in Melbourne?:confused:

Screwed™
12th Aug 2008, 10:06
"So AH need to come up with some SUITABLY qualified pilots from somewhere."

....and get them to live in Warrnambool. :bored:

Twin Head
12th Aug 2008, 10:12
Warrnambool, where the bloody hell are ya, Free Whale Watching, must be worth 120 dta per day:ok:

topendtorque
12th Aug 2008, 11:22
Apologies is this is off thread, but thought you guys might know, Vas ist das? as below. ABC web news.

New Customs chopper lands in Top End

Posted 5 hours 7 minutes ago
Updated 5 hours 8 minutes ago

Map: Nhulunbuy 0880 (http://www.abc.net.au/news/maps/map.htm?lat=-12.1868&long=136.7821&caption=Nhulunbuy 0880)

Illegal foreign fishermen, and drug, weapon and people smugglers are set to come under greater scrutiny across Northern Territory and Queensland waters with the unveiling of a new fast and powerful helicopter today.
It weighs over 2,000 kilograms and can carry 10 people at speeds of up to 400 nautical miles.
For the next two years it will be on standby in Nhulunbuy in north-east Arnhem Land at a cost of $12 million and will respond to threats along the remote coastline from Darwin to Weipa.
The Federal Minister for Home Affairs, Bob Debus, says it may also be used for emergency rescues and quarantine and environmental initiatives.
An land and sea management organisation in Nhulunbuy, the Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation, has welcomed the new helicopter.
"We think this great news," says Dhimurru CEO, Steve Roeger. "We have all been concerned about the incursions along Australia's border in the north and seeing Customs increasing its capacity, being able to more effectively do the work that it does, is good news for us,"
The Territory's commercial fishing industry has also welcomed the arrival of the helicopter.
"It's not fair that we should have to operate alongside foreign vessels that are illegally fishing our waters," says Australia Bay Seafood's Bill Passey.

666 advo
12th Aug 2008, 20:55
that would be the new HA 145. (Not AH)

justhelos
1st Mar 2009, 08:56
Hi, At Essendon on sat 28th feb, Hems 5 VH-VAS was at the new hangar complex and i was wondering if she was training before going down to Warrnambool to start the new contract or will be Essendon based ?

John Eacott
1st Mar 2009, 09:08
Training for Essendon: HEMS 4 will be Warrnambool. Photos at Forbes, landing due weather on the way down from Queensland:

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/101265/DSCN4571/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/johneacott/101265/DSCN4573/web.jpg

justhelos
1st Mar 2009, 09:14
Thanks for the reply and photos John, very much appreciated

gulliBell
1st Mar 2009, 21:26
Interesting they bolted the nitesun on the nose (if that's what it is), isn't there a reduced speed limit with it mounted there?

Goggle Up
1st Mar 2009, 23:10
Gullibell,

Its a Trakker A800 Searchlight not an SX-16. Not sure about its Vne for the 412 but.

:ok:GU

ChopperFAN
2nd Mar 2009, 08:40
Nice pics John, its a beautiful bird...

I was at Adelaide airport a few weeks ago, and there is a AW139 there in a simular red and white scheme... is that destined for you guys east?

We have the Adelaide bank signed, blue and yellow B412, EC130 and Bk117... so i know it wont be for SA

Ill try to get a pic i took of it up, so u can see the reg

Thanks

Simon

Curious2
2nd Mar 2009, 09:58
Bad Luck Chopper Fan, Adelaide can only dream of new aircraft at present. The aircraft you saw belongs to CHC and is for Sydney. There is also an EC145 there as well if you get to see it.

Nice photos of the 412, hopefully the boys can show us some photos of it in action soon. Look out CHC!

Oogle
2nd Mar 2009, 15:08
Does CASA approve the Trakka A800 for the "Flight below LSALT at night" dispensation?

I seem to remember that the dispensation states the Nitesun SX-16 specifically. Mind you, if it pumps out the same light (30 million candlepower), it should suffice.

The Spectrolab guys better watch out. Looks like they may have a competitor.

ChopperFAN
3rd Mar 2009, 08:54
Curious2, Thanks for the reply.

I assumed it wasnt for us... I still cant believe we got a EC130 haha... Saw it today at low height and high speed over my work, very nice considering we used to have a 412 for rescue and 206L for police for so so many years

Any info on the Ec145? Wheres it at? The only one ive ever seen down here was the True North EC145 before xmas, and that was outside the Heliair hanger i guess getting kitted for the NSW fire season

Is there another here ATM? If so ill get down to c it :eek:

Sorry i dont know much, but im always interested in anything heli

Thanks Simon :ok:

landseaair69
4th Mar 2009, 05:58
Well sort of... latest from the local paper

Our rescue chopper has landed - Local News - News - General - The Warrnambool Standard (http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/our-rescue-chopper-has-landed/1430022.aspx)

skidsR4kids
5th Mar 2009, 05:40
Was the WSPS overlooked or just not on this one to save the $ ?, also seems to be a lack of clearance between the old girls belly and mother earth.:confused:
Take care out there boys.

Squeaks
5th Mar 2009, 05:59
Was the WSPS overlooked or just not on this one to save the $ ?

Have you tried buying WSPS recently? Last time I looked there was about a 6 month back order: maybe it'll be fitted when available ;)

w_ocker
5th Mar 2009, 07:56
Is it in fact an EP?
The cargo door windows look lke the smaller classic versions, and the raisable step is a classic thing too I had thought?

Squeaks
5th Mar 2009, 08:37
Is it in fact an EP?

I'd say that CASA (http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/regsearch/airsresults.asp?framein=all&manuin=&modelin=&regholdin=&regopin=&serialin=&num_results=10&VHin=vas&Search=Search) and Rwy34 (http://www.rwy34.com/regsearch/ozresults.php?search_input=VAS) are just making it up. Why on earth would S/N 36504 be an EP: surely in 2008, Bell would retrospectively manufacture a Classic just to give the customer reduced performance :rolleyes:

Yes, it's an EP.

w_ocker
6th Mar 2009, 02:41
:rolleyes:Yeah righto Squeak.
I wasnt casting any negativity on the type, contract, or anything else. Sorry if you took it that way. As a driver of both classic and EP I simply am showing a professional interest for the purpose of discussion . I know that some ****e is often thrown on the Prune but no need to be pre-emptively protective mate.
Again, sorry to cause you any angst and I'll now crawl back under my rock and refrain from asking anything or adding to any discussion for fear of causing offense.

Oogle
6th Mar 2009, 06:40
let's knock the Trakka, its position, its operating capability,

Who was knocking the Trakka system? I was looking at it as another alternative to the SX-16 which I had not seen before. The more new technologically advanced items coming into the marketplace, the better.

Unlike w_ocker, I am not apologising to you because there is nothing to apologise about! :=

catseye
6th Mar 2009, 09:53
Tracka doesn't have the black spot in the centre that some versions of the Nightsun has. Much more even light distribution. :ok:

The Eye

Philthy
17th Mar 2009, 10:38
Avalon Airshow:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Philthy88/Bell-412-VH-VAS-HEMS-5-AV-15-3-09-8.jpg

A 2008 model, it was briefly registered to Bell in the USA as N357JB before being re-registered in Australia as VH-VAS(2) on 28 November 2008.

Dreamtime
18th Mar 2009, 03:43
Readers of this post should review a previous subject post MAS Contract - 2 New Helicopters.
I note with interest that Australian Helicopters commenced the contract on time with no fuss or announcements. Well done to all!

Mibus
23rd Aug 2009, 09:01
Word has it that the Australian 412 at Essendon has been very quiet due to the contract only specifying a certain number of hours which have been spent. I head that the 412 crew were lying in bed snug in their pyjamas and the VPAW boys were out in the wee hours flying the hospital transfers which were meant to be the job of the 412. Seems like a waste to me!

Anybody else heard anything?

High Nr
23rd Aug 2009, 10:17
What do you expect?

Brumby, that chap who is the pseudo Premier, only put these two contracts [Essendon and Warrnambool] in place because his family where being exposed, down in the Western District.

The Victorian Police were [are] doing a fine task with both the Ambulance and Police machines without this cheap Adelaide mob.

Watch what happens when there is a change of power in Spring Street.!!!

The saving of many many $$$ will be realised.

What a waste.

SIGHTGLASS
23rd Aug 2009, 23:08
Two brand new EPs, great medical fitout - very cheap indeed.

Where is AH head office by the way?

ResqBoy
24th Aug 2009, 08:04
Dreamtime,

Wasn't original tender start date for Essendon machine December 08 - And didn't AH start operations in March 09? I wouldn't say that was on time....

skid shoe
24th Aug 2009, 13:23
Sometimes the c%@p that gets spread in here is unbelievable.

Mibus
I'm not sure if your post is serious or if you're just fishing but I suggest your source may not be as well informed as you think. The Essendon machine has been in the hangar, that much is true, but only long enough for a WSP kit to be fitted (roughly a week I think). It has been operational again for days with heaps of flying.

High Nr
Changed our medication lately have we? Get your doctor to check the dosage. It not quite working properly. In one post you have managed to insult the people working for one of the biggest operators in the country, discounted well over 10 years of effort and lobying by the good people of south west Victoria and shown yourself to be ill informed. Aussie are not a cheap operator by any means. Go out to Essendon (or Warrnambool) and actually have a look at those aircraft. They are absolute top shelf units with arguably the best medical fit out in the country. It's world class by any standard. And as for your political rant. As a community , the citizens of south west vic. worked very hard for more than 10 years to secure an ambulance machine for their area. Many of them motivated by the lost lives of family and friends that would have been easily prevented if they had just had a rescue machine to call on. Their effort and determination deserves more respect than to imply that the premier of vic was just doing a favour for his family.
One last thing, Aussie are based in Brisbane. It's the other mob that are from Adelaide but it's a big call to say they're cheap too. Any chance that both Aussie and CHC have knocked you back for a job?

Resqboy - you're wrong. Listen to Dreamtime. If he is who I think he is then he is close enough to know for sure and certain.