PDA

View Full Version : TODAY'S (20 Dec) FAU PROTEST CANCELLED

slapfaan
20th Dec 2007, 03:56
The 2nd protest by the FAU that was to take place in central today,has just been cancelled..

Apparently a record number of crew called in sick this morning,in order to support the rally and voice their anger+frustration..

This,no doubt,would have resulted in many CANCELLED flights,so cx did a 180 and delayed the medical scheme contributions that were suppose to come into effect on the 1st january 2008,until May 2008..

From the cx website:

According to the agreement, the FAU pledges to refrain from any industrial or other action related to the medical scheme that will affect the airline’s normal operations, especially during the upcoming peak Christmas/New Year period.

In a nutshell - The FAU's got CX by the balls!!!!:ok:

Good on ya Becky..keep up the pressure!!

ST and the AOA off course - NOWHERE in sight,as expected..

Fenwicksgirl
20th Dec 2007, 04:38
Ok then, well done FAU, a negotiated settlement, forcing the company to the table for a result, our AoA can definitely take a leaf out of your book.
But....as i read it, the co-pay is only avoided in 2008, then i would assume it kicks in as normal in 09'. Is this really a victory or just sweeping it under the carpet for the time being????
Am sure there is more to it (hope), but am not sold just yet....

404 Titan
20th Dec 2007, 06:08
Fenwicksgirl

The way I read it is that the co-payment will be introduced in May 2008, not 2009. A five month reprieve.

The Rip
20th Dec 2007, 06:23
Yeah, May, thats like after all the big holidays are over. So around the time of when the Co-Pay comes into effect, any sick out will not have any impact on the company.
Another Win for the company!:rolleyes:

FlexibleResponse
20th Dec 2007, 13:31
A win for the company? I don't think so!

The company was stared down by a girl with her backing of thousands of FAU members. Guess what? The company blinked first.

The company has been forced to roll-back the start of their devious and cunning plan and now has to negotiate with the FAU.

What comes of the negotiations, we don't know, but the company now has a black-eye and will want to get the next step very right or else they will bring down the whole FAU upon themselves again.

Many of you weren't there for the Cabin Crew strike of the early-nineties. That event severely rocked the upper echelons of the whole of the Swire Empire. They don't want that to happen again, I promise you.

As an aside, one might also note that the CEO of that time no longer works for Swire.

Fenwicksgirl
21st Dec 2007, 00:00
I should elaborate what i said. The co-pay will be mainly avoided in 08' as when it kicks in in May they have 10 freebies, which would see most girls/guys avoiding it for 08'. In 09' they have to start paying, so basically only a delay in this plan was achieved.
So with all the talk, a saving of only $300-$500 for the year for our cabin crew, then losses from 09' on. Ummm no wonder the company gave in to this, averting a strike threat for minimal costs!!!
Sorry am i still missing something??

christep
21st Dec 2007, 00:49
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it worries me quite a lot as a humble SLF if the people I am relying on to fly the aeroplane I'm on and look after my safety and comfort whilst on board are so chronically ill that they need to go to the doctor more than 10 times a year! That's more than a healthy person (of the age of cabin crew) would go in a decade...

DexyDogg
21st Dec 2007, 01:59
Even if the cabin crew call sick for a head cold (something one wouldn't normally go to the doctor for, but wouldn't want to fly with), it is mandatory for them to go to the doctor for a sick note. As instructed by the company. No choice.

So if you take into account that the cabin crew have to work with hundreds of people all breathing the same pressurized air for hours on end and that going to work with a small cold could make your entire crew sick, then calling in a few more times than the average ground dwelling person is likely. A couple head colds, a flu, some food poisoning (common in world travel), and maybe having a couple nasty times-o-the month :uhoh: and there you go; ten mandatory doctor visits within a year.

And, trust me, you would rather have your crew who are responsible for your safety (as you so rightly mention) calling sick versus flying sick now wouldn't you? :)

How ridiculous is it that they have to go to the doctor every time? Flight crew with Cathay do not. Only if they are sick over a number of consecutive days in a row.

Hope this helps. :ok:

Virtual Reality
21st Dec 2007, 04:16
Have you taken into account their family members yet? 10 times quota will be gone in no time ....

The Rip
21st Dec 2007, 04:49
Thats why i think the company has won. Even though I support the FAU and the cabin crew for protests, at the end of the day the company has got what they wanted from the start.... Somehow i think they already planned on the cabin crew to object to the co-pay.

N1 Vibes
21st Dec 2007, 10:48
DexyDogg,

you make some statistically correct observations here:

- apparently the average human get's 7 colds a year, that's an average human

- the cabin crew are exposed to a large number of people in an a/c air environment

- stomach upsets - most likely caused by unhygenic practices in the a/c toilets

Now, consider those people who work in the CX City environment - 7 colds a year, like they are also average humans right, most of these colds are actually undetected since the body fights them off? Each floor in CX holds about 200-300 people, the air in CX city is not filtered through a HEPA filter, a/c air is. You only have to visit the crappers in CX City or anywhere in HKG to see the practices of cleaning hands after a good download, not sure that people are complaining that often from food induced/hygeine induced stomach disorders. I don't know of that many individual people who suffer from a dicky tummy and flu more than 10 times a year.

So I think yes, the family total will take one staff over the 10 freebies in 2008, don't think the average cabin crew would actually be sick 10 times a year themselves.

Of course some of their conditions may not be average. I stand to be shot down any second now.....

Brgd's

N1 Vibes

PS - what is the comparison in % terms of sick rate of flt crew when compared to cabin crew? Just curious.