PDA

View Full Version : US Army Aircrew Loss Information

SASless
20th Dec 2007, 03:43
This website contains an excellent listing of the aircrew and passengers killed in combat action and other causes for all types of US Army Aircraft. The summaries of the events leading to or determined cause of loss makes for very interesting reading.

Those interested in combat losses for various wars/conflicts will find summaries of interest for each known loss.

The site is the work of a former Army Huey crewman who has undertaken the task of documenting Army aircrew losses as a hobby project.

http://www.armyaircrews.com/index.html

NickLappos
20th Dec 2007, 11:05
The site also accepts emailed details on the losses and updates the site with them. Too many friends on that website, Sasless...

SASless
20th Dec 2007, 13:23
There is some solace in the fact sites like these help preserve the memory of their loss.

A group of us nominated Wayne Allums, a Flight Engineer, for the US Army Hall of Fame a few months back. His Chinook aircraft crashed on a very steep hillside shortly after takeoff, rolled completely over and caught fire with a lot of people trapped inside. The crew made it out but Allums re-entered the burning wreckage several times dragging people to safety. He ultimately died when the aircraft exploded and was completely engulf in fire.

There is far to thise site than just a list of dates, aircraft numbers, and names to some of us as you suggest.

This is the letter I wrote in support of that nomination:

During my two tours of duty in the Republic of Vietnam in 1968-1970, I had the honor of serving with many outstanding soldiers. Among those that were role models to their peers was Wayne Allums who served as a Chinook Flight Engineer in the 205th Assault Support Helicopter Company.

Allums performed his duties in a very professional manner and always seemed to be of good spirits and never faltered in the face of hardship or when hostile fire was directed at his aircraft and crew. Allums was a leader and exemplified the very best of the US Army.

Wayne Allums demonstrated his sense of honor and duty as well his willingness to risk his own life in the saving of others following the crash of his Chinook helicopter at Song Be airstrip in Vietnam.

Other crew members and non-crew survivors told of Allum's heroic actions in repeatedly entering the burning wreckage to retrieve Vietnamese and American passengers who were unable to escape from the wreckage.

Allums made repeated entries into the aircraft and continued his life saving work until the aircraft exploded, killing him. His devotion to duty and willingness to risk his life in the saving of others speaks of his great personal courage.

I still mourn his loss as do other Geronimo's, and freely admit I consider it an honor to have served with a Soldier of his professionalism and devotion to duty. His personal courage speaks for itself and hopefully his family and others can appreciate the fact that during a time of war, Wayne Allums died saving lives. The Good Book says "No greater love than to give your life for another.".

I strongly recommend that the US Army include Wayne Allums in the "Hall of Fame" as he certainly earned the admiration and respect of those he served with by his daily conduct and his final act of bravery.

Wayne Allums gave the last full measure a Soldier can do and should be honored for his selfless gallantry.

Allum's family was presented a posthumous Soldier's Medal for his actions at Song Be but the real honor is that we Geronimo's received by being allowed to serve with a Soldier like Wayne Allums.

gazbert
20th Dec 2007, 16:03
Thank you for posting that link, it's fascinating yet humbling reading.