PDA

View Full Version : Headset ANR Upgrade?

OZZI_PPL
19th Dec 2007, 21:46
Anyone have any experience with the Headsets Inc. ANR Upgrade?

I have a set of DC 13.4's and was looking at the option of installing one of these babies.

Are they any good?

Ozzi

Mark1234
19th Dec 2007, 21:55
No idea, but would also be interested in knowing. Another thing I was thinking was that DC do sell an ANR version of the 13.4 - I wonder if one could buy the ANR module as a 'part', or perhaps the whole speaker innards as a part, and place in an ordinary 13.4 shell...

thunderbird five
20th Dec 2007, 03:45
Yes, done it to a set of Altronics years ago. Best thing since the previous thing to sliced bread.
Instructions leave a bit to be desired though, but found some hints on the net.
Overall, pretty easy and worth every cent.

OZZI_PPL
20th Dec 2007, 04:34
That was going to be my next question.

With a very limited electronics background, are they easy to install?
or am I just better off paying the cost of getting someone else to do it.

Ozzi

thunderbird five
20th Dec 2007, 05:53
No, if you can solder Ozz, it's easy to do, but the instructions aren't brilliant. I can't quite recall what, but solved it easily. You don't need to be an electronics whizz.:ok:

Pretzal
20th Dec 2007, 09:22
I have a pair of DC 13.4 with the Headsets Inc Mod. The actual ANR side of this mod is very good. Only a few weeks I ago I tried them versus the DC X11 and the Bose headsets. Personally I wouldn't splash out the money for the X11s as I thought mine were at least equivalent to them. The bose's on the other hand were better and if mine break again I would consider upgrading. Anyway back to the topic. The headsets inc mod is very good but it does have its limitations they are:
1. I have been through 2 cords that run from the headset to the battery box. This I believe, and I suspect they know, is a VERY weak point of the whole design. Where the cord meets the battery box is very flimsy and breaks very easily - so If you do buy it you need to be very careful because if you knew how tinky it was under that plastic cap with heatshrink for padding you would be very surprised. Unfortunately my second cord started playing up after only a few months :(
2. They tend to be a little thirsty on batteries. They use a 9V. I buy duracell 9V's and I get about month out of them - approx 45 hours. The Bose's I hear get atleast that on rechargeables! Rechargeables obviously dont last that long...maybe 2 weeks but probably more like 9-10 days.

Overall though they are a great solution without having to fork out a $1000 or more. I would take them over a set of DC 13.4 without them anyday of the week, they just have a couple of limitations that if you are aware of...might make them last a little longer. So if you are definately not in the market for a set of Bose's and just want to protect your hearing...definately go for it...you wont regret it.

OZZI_PPL
20th Dec 2007, 22:28
Thanks Pretzal,

Sounds like a worthwhile mod for the DC's. Pretty reasonable price too I think. The only thing is I have got the Oregon Aero mod installed at the moment. This adds a new headband, extra foam in the earpieces and foam ear padding instead of the gel seals. VERY comfortable, but not sure how the ANR will go without Gel seals.

Ozzi

thunderbird five
21st Dec 2007, 00:04
OZZ: Zero problems here since fitted Nov. 2002. Of course, I don't use them every day.
Found my wiring diagrams. They also say "mandatory" to use gel earseals.
Wiring niggles are little things like instructions call a wire "audio +" but don't tell you what color it is, or might be. In any case, I figured it out and it worked first go. As the blondes say, "It's not rocket surgery."
The ANR effect is "freaky" at first, but great. Highly recommended.
Go for it I says.

thunderbird five
21st Dec 2007, 00:08
Back again OZZ. Instructions say:
"extra thick ear seals (ie Oregon Aero Soft Seal) will cause extreme loss of ANR strength..."
Also, cloth covers should not be fitted. They need a smooth tight seal. (mmmmmmmmm........)

OZZI_PPL
21st Dec 2007, 00:14
extra thick ear seals (ie Oregon Aero Soft Seal) will cause extreme loss of ANR strength..."

That's a shame if true. The Oregon seals are really comfy. Need to decide if the improved Noise Reduction is worth a reduction in comfort.

Cheers

WannaBeBiggles
22nd Dec 2007, 01:29
I know it's expensive, but the BOSE is well worth it. Bought mine only a month ago and must say they are fan friggin tastic!!!

You don't get those preasure points and those ringing ears after a long flight, not to mention you barely notice your wearing the thing!

Whether it's value for money for you is a decision only you can make, but just remember, hearing is one of your major senses and once it's gone it's gone!

carbon
22nd Dec 2007, 13:30
I have been considering fitting this kit, though I love my Oregon Aero ear seals. Not really sure the ANR is worth going back to the gel seals.

At the end of the day, passive protection is what protects your hearing, not ANR, correct?

HercFeend
14th Jun 2010, 03:56
Now that this is a little more mainstream and easier to do with DIY kits etc. Has anyone any particular experience and or recommendations where to get a ANR kit for a David Clark headset?

pilot2684
15th Jun 2010, 16:06
Loud high pitch noise is painful at best and you block your ears quickly, but sustained loud low pitched noise is not as painful but does more damage to hearing because of the energy and the time. Don't believe me, go take a ride in a mates car with a competition sound system. Ask them to play a lower note song, ie rnb hip hop, then get them to play something wil alot of highs, ie opera or jazz. You can sit in front of the stereo or in the car for longer periods of time with the lower notes (ie bassy songs) moreso than the High notes (ie Jazz, Classical or dare I say it, Deathmetal). I myself find that the Higher pitched notes hurt more and cause me to physically get out of the car/room, to get away from the music at a great rate of knots, whereas the lower notes I can listen to all day. Try another thing. Whisper something to them, thats barely audible. If they like RnB or Hiphop, read: bassy songs, they wont be able to hear you.

In aviation we are exposed to all types of low pitched noise ie Twin's that aren't synchronised, Exhaust note from essentially straight headers.

All it comes down to is Duration and Energy. Think of the duration of energy transfer as the current, and the pitch as the voltage. Low voltage + high current = instant death. Low Current + High Voltage = Pain but not death.

ANR is designed to stop the duration. It does this by lowering the exposure to the low pitch noise. Thats all its actually doing. Blocking lower pitch noise.

4 hours with a cockpit at 90dB or 4 hours in the cockpit with 65dB. I will take the 65dB any day

HercFeend
15th Jun 2010, 20:55
For anyone who's interested, after quite some time researching and sending off enquiries to companies in NZ, Aus, the US & UK, I found these guys.

DM Electronics ( http://anrheadsets.com.au)

They are the Aussie reseller of the Headset Inc (http://www.headsetsinc.com/Index.html) ANR Kit - Reviewed (http://www.headsetsinc.com/fly01.pg58-63%20copy.pdf) by FLYER (http://www.flyer.co.uk/) magazine as equalling or surpassing the standards set by market leading ANR headsets like Bose and DC.........

By far and away the most competitive in terms of product offered (Headset Inc) and they don't fleece you on shipping to NZ ether, which is nice!

Speak to Darin McLean.

05pearcj
27th Jan 2011, 21:39
I have the ANR module fitted on my DC 10-13.4 the fitting process was fairly simple not helped by the wiring diagram. As mentioned above if your a dab hand with a soldering iron then you'll be fine. Its a very good purchase and helped with my instructing. I use them 8hrs per day nearly every day and you can definitely tell the difference.

BUT. I do find a mild problem with condensation. I don't know if i have an overly sweaty head but i think it is a recognised problem as its posted on the web page under troubleshooting. If condensation builds up in the ear-cup the speakers malfunction completely making all communication impossible. Sounds like you have water in your ears and then intermittent high frequency screams occur loud enough to make you throw your headset across the cockpit. I must add this is an intermittent problem usually occurring after durations of 2-3hrs+ or short breaks between flights.

Recommendation is to let the headset dry out for 10-15mins and continue as it nothing ever happened.

All in all a very good purchase apart from the snag above. Do not let me put you off as from what i can read (or more apt cannot read) it is not a frequently occurring problem but has been noted by the supplier.

I wish you happy flying and hope you make the right choice!