PDA

View Full Version : Under-seat foot space

Flapping_Madly
19th Dec 2007, 21:12
I've just tried Seatguru for info on restricted foot space under seats due to IFE equipment.

Nothing there. Nothing in FAQs so emailed 'em. Got automatic email reply saying---look in FAQs and if not there email us ---so I emailed 'em and----- round and round we go.

Stupid.

Anyway--is this a big problem and what "tricks" are there for avoiding the problem? Like avoid aisle seats? Or odd numbered rows or what? Are all airlines affected?

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks

V800
19th Dec 2007, 21:22
In my experience in economy on most twin aisle aircraft the boxes are located under the window seats and the aisle seats of the centre block.

TSR2
19th Dec 2007, 21:54
When using Seat Guru you have to move the cursor onto a seat number and a message will appear for that row of seats advising exactly where the in-flight entertainment equipment is located. No message - no restriction.

Flapping_Madly
19th Dec 2007, 22:26
Thanks for replies.

TSR2 I now have a small problem. The 744 my wife and I will be on in a few weeks has TV in all seat backs --I'm told. Air New Zealand LHR-Auk.

I've just run my curser over every seat on the Seatguru plan and not one showed any restriction.

Is it safe to assume that AirNZ do not steal foot space in this way? Is this part of Seatguru out of date? Now I am puzzled. V800 has a different view on it. I think I will play safe and try to get B&C between rows 46 and 51. How's that for being picky.:)

Regards

TSR2
19th Dec 2007, 22:58
It seems to me that there is no restrictions on leg space due to in-flight entertainment systems on Air New Zealand B744 aircraft. In reading some passenger comments it would seem your preferred choice of seating is a good choice.

PAXboy
19th Dec 2007, 23:01
Picky? No.

From the days when you could smoke on an a/c and the IFE was an 8mm film projected on a screen, my uncle observed that: "If you want two seats together in Economy, where smoking is permitted and you do NOT want to see the film and you want to be on the NON sunny side (to get more sleep) ... the 747 is six seater aircraft." :p

That was the -100 where the last three rows were two seats due to the tapering of the fuselage and met his other criteria.

I think that some carriers put the boxes under the A + C and feed three seats from two units, some have a box for each and some one box for the row. The placing varies and, personally, I would not expect any of the seating laying web sites to be able to answer this with accuracy.

llanfairpg
20th Dec 2007, 01:47
Try boarding on your hands and knees

Flapping_Madly
20th Dec 2007, 12:30
What???!!

Can't work that one out. Give us a clue. (It's not Ryanair you know)

Actually that is a position I would not feel comfortable with on any aircraft.:O

WHBM
20th Dec 2007, 13:04
Seatguru does not appear to feature details of AVOD equipment mounted in your footspace.

Took Malaysian 747-400 in Y last week and in the 3-across window banks the box, notably large, was mounted under the centre seat (B and J). Seatguru says nothing about this. I have not noticed the boxes under centre seats before, am used to seeing them under aisle seats. Sensibly, it not being a full flight, Malaysian had corralled the single travellers together in that cabin and allocated them window and aisle seats with no centres allocated, so it was not a problem, but would be a notable inconvenience on an ultra-long haul in Y if that was in your way.

Could these boxes really not have been put anywhere else ?

llanfairpg
20th Dec 2007, 16:04
What???!!

Can't work that one out. Give us a clue. (It's not Ryanair you know)

Actually that is a position I would not feel comfortable with on any aircraft.A clue lets see-- being lower improves your relationship with the cabin crew

PAXboy
20th Dec 2007, 22:21
WHBMCould these boxes really not have been put anywhere else ?Scratching my brain cells for a discussion about this in here some year or more ago ... the main problem is weight distribution. Putting them under the seats in this way, spreads the load evenly across the floor. If you put them under the floor, you encroach on cargo space.

If you put them in the o'head lockers you have three problems: firstly, the obvious one about hand luggage [and let's NOT start that one again!!] but you also would have a serious amount of weight in a place that was not designed to take it and then cooling. The units get cool air circulating under the seats, which they would not get overhead.

Secondly, the handset controller has (I think) to be fairly close coupled to the box. I would hope that the units will progressively become smaller as the technology is refined but they are not going to go away. They are a serious marketing tool, aimed at the children for a large part. The fact that they all seem to be plagued by unreliability is another matter.