PDA

View Full Version : Not in New Delhi, you say?

Davaar
19th Dec 2007, 20:15
A caller to a radio show in Ottawa today reported from New Delhi that the department stores etc., are festooned: "Merry Christmas".

Elmdale Public School in Ottawa, however, announces that at Festive Day season its choir will sing the well-loved Festive Day carol: "Soon it will be a festive day".

If only we could blame the French. Davaar will be moving his school taxes to support the RC Board.

tony draper
19th Dec 2007, 20:39
I calculate it is about .00000000001% of the population that promote and cause all this PC bollix,that being the case it would not be to difficult a task to identify them drag them out into the street and hang em from lamp posts.
:rolleyes:

Ozzy
19th Dec 2007, 20:46
Hangin's too good fur those people...it's a good kick in the a*se they need...quote by Billy Connolly.:D:D

Ozzy

radeng
19th Dec 2007, 20:49
Good heavens, Mr. Draper,
What are you thinking of?
You can't do that there 'ere! It's against 'elf and safety to climb up the lampposts to put a noose over them. You'd have to have a proper 'cherry picker' platform at least, plus a minimum of three months training.
Gorblimey, it's more than me jobsworth to let you go on like that!

S'land
19th Dec 2007, 20:55
Ozzy.
Does it not depend what you hang them by?

reynoldsno1
19th Dec 2007, 22:34
Last week I had the surreal experience of eating dinner with a Chinese colleague in a Shanghai-style restaurant in Beijing surrounded by pictures of Santa whilst a selection of carols, sung in English, played in the background.

I am happy to report that the ambience did not extend as far as the menu - the dinner was excellent though.

pigboat
19th Dec 2007, 23:22
...it would not be to difficult a task to identify them drag them out into the street and hang em from lamp posts.

And I have just the lamp post to hang them from Mr. D. :D

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/Siddley-Hawker/AvenueDraper.jpg

Davaar
20th Dec 2007, 16:57
"What a difference a day makes! Twenty-four little hours." That song is Christmas-neutral, so I venture to quote it.

Well, we have Good News and Bad News.

The Good News is that urchins in the Grades 2 and 3 choir at Elmdale Elementary School in Ottawa will definitely not be exposed to the evil "Soon it will be Christmas Day". That is something to be thankful for.

The Bad News is that community loud-mouth reactionaries have so complained of "Soon it will be a festive Day" that the "teachers" or "educators" (as those in the "profession" here sometimes amusingly identify themselves) of Elmdale Elementary have been forced to scratch around for a solution.

Success! Drop both "Soon it will be Christmas Day" and "Soon it will be a festive Day". No doubt they are working on a compromise: "Soon it will be next week".

Maybe they will go back to the recent North York ban of candy canes, notorious and offensive religious symbols that they are.

Gainesy
20th Dec 2007, 17:03
May I commend the:"Invent a Christmas Word " thread?

Davaar
20th Dec 2007, 17:29
Yes, but it is a macabre game. As Dr draper points out, an infinitesimal proportion of numbskulls in the population is bent on and succeeding in the destruction of my culture and his in name of a non-existent multi-culture.

kansasw
20th Dec 2007, 17:31
Drapes I am not usually inclined to quibble with you, but the day has arrived.
"I calculate it is about .00000000001% of the population that promote and cause all this PC bollix,that being the case it would not be to difficult a task to identify them drag them out into the street and hang em from lamp posts."
Unless my calculator lies, the arithmetic indicates that about 0.06 people in the entire world population cause all this PC bollix. How do you you propose to identify this fraction of a person? Which part will you hang, maybe the left little toe?
Without going to chapter and verse, I suggest to the contrary that there are some decent motivations and reasonable arguments for all this PC bollix, and as much overblown rhetoric on one side as the other of course.
An interesting chap calling himself Ram Dass suggested that we do better to seek points of agreement and diverge from there, than retreating to points of maximum separation and charge full-tilt to collision.

tony draper
20th Dec 2007, 18:45
Just as well one removed five of the zeros before posting then,twas something of a test yer see, one was just waiting to see when someone would pick up on that,award yourself Ten points Mr K.
:rolleyes:

Davaar
20th Dec 2007, 18:54
On the other, ummm, hand, S'land speculates on what one would hang them by. May draper merely have been stretching a point?

merlinxx
20th Dec 2007, 20:38
Apt, the corner of BONKLAND & Draper!!!!!

00vert
21st Dec 2007, 00:01
This was the commentary on one of our local radio stations this morning (not 100% sure that it is simply a political issue, but it does get the point across):
To All My Liberal/NDP Friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Canada great. Not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only free country in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.
To My Conservative Friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

pigboat
21st Dec 2007, 02:11
..BONKLAND & Draper!!!!!

Might look like a B but it's an M, although I think I like Bonkland better. ;)

Blacksheep
21st Dec 2007, 03:17
Meanwhile, here are the Xmas decorations in officially and successfully multi-cultural Malaysia:

Mid Valley Mega Mall:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/336652512_8b55f4b5b5_m.jpg

..and out of town, up in the Cameron Highlands:

http://www.ytlcommunity.com/common/showimage.asp?imgid=64055

The Muslim majority over there do like Xmas, especially the live carol singing by children's choirs in the shopping malls and big department stores.

I'm with tony draper as regards the huggy-fluff spoilsports - hang 'em high!

BombayDuck
21st Dec 2007, 03:22
pigboat - Brilliant!

And yes, Mr. Davaar - Bombay celebrates it with a lot of fanfare too. Neither the wish-giver or -taker will be Christian in most of the wishes :)

If I can get photos of various Christmas (is that word allowed on British boars now?) decorations in the city, I shall :)

Dushan
21st Dec 2007, 12:40
This thread will soon be closed by the mods. Too many occurances of word
C h r i s t m a s...

Davaar
21st Dec 2007, 17:56
Aaarrgh Lads! There be strange deeds afoot.

First, the latest in the Festive Day controversy. The good folks at Elmdale Public School in Ottawa, assailed by the multitude, have dropped "Soon it will be a Festive Day", but they are not happy. The National Post tells us today that board spokeswoman Sharlene Hunter of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board yesterday, and why not give credit where credit is due? yesterday told the eager public and media: "The teachers are visibly upset and emotionally upset and don't feel they can conduct that song to the best of their ability".

We can but speculate, in the absence of detail, on the exact nature of said visible upset and emotional upset.

All is not lost. Having ditched "Soon it will be Festive Day", the Elmdale Public School in Ottawa is resilient, and gave us: "Frosty the Snowman", a triumph of compromise in a troubled world.

Second. A couple of days back I was at the offices of the Federal taxgather, negotiating for a client with the dreaded "collectors". It was the usual ding-dong. The name of the hard man across the table proclaimed a "new-Canadian" heritage. The battle fought ruthlessly but with honour on both sides, it came time to leave. I fear the Devil made me do it, but I said to him:

"Thank you for your time and patience. May I wish you a Merry Christmas?", so extending the right hand of fellowship.

"Of course!" said he, taking my hand, "And a Merry Christmas to you too".

God Bless us, as Tiny Tim put it, Every one. Merry Christmas!

pigboat
21st Dec 2007, 18:04
I protest. Frosty The Snowman is discrimination against womin. Davaar I suggest we begin a petition forthwith to replace Frosty The Snowman with Frosty The Snowperson. Lead on!

frostbite
21st Dec 2007, 21:02
I resemble that remark.

GrumpyOldFart
21st Dec 2007, 21:15
I'm not sure that 'Frosty' or 'snow' are acceptable terms in these enlightened days. Do they not discriminate against those from coolness-challenged environments?

seacue
21st Dec 2007, 23:38
I was in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea a few weeks ago when they kicked off their Christmas-by-the-Sea season. The event was centered around lighting the Christmas tree in a little roundabout one block back from the beach. The tree had a hole in its side from which was blown what looked like snow.

There was also a large menorah in recognition of the diversity of the community.

LBTS is a nice little place immediately north of Fort Lauderdale. NO tall buildings.

tony draper
21st Dec 2007, 23:50
Thats not very nice Mr seacue,there are people here who are vertically challenged,it could also be construed as quite hurtful to tall people.:rolleyes:

seacue
22nd Dec 2007, 00:27
FSL,
I think not. The lack of tall buildings means that vertically-challenged people are not so overwhelmed by the buildings and that tall people are more significant.

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2007, 03:59
One is led to believe that politically correct plural of 'person' is no longer 'people' but is now officially persons. That is certainly how the man with the beautifully cultured English accent addresses the persons milling about the arrival concourse at London Heathrow Airport.

Surely it is tall persons to whom you refer... :rolleyes:

A Merry Midwinter Festival to all PPRuNers and may the Year of the Rat bring you Rong Rife and Rots of Prospurty.

Davaar
22nd Dec 2007, 14:36
Big changes loom. Where does this leave:

"Bless 'em all, bless 'em all
The long and the short and the tall;"?

I am working on a new lyric for the Festive and all other seasons. It runs: "Song! song! song! song! song!". Something along those lines. I think you will all like it. It has just gotta be a hit and may even replace all others.

I rejected: "Sing! song!" because the imperative mood of the verb implies a dominator/dominatrix -- slave relationship which I for one could never support. You too, I am pretty sure.

The tune will be on one note only, since a move up and down the scales implies a contrapuntal analysis, antithesis and synthesis, in turn implying the acceptance of an authoritative artistic judgment alien to the feelings-sensitivity to which I am now devoted. I am not sure which note that will be or from which octave. Hey! I can't do it all myself.

frostbite
22nd Dec 2007, 15:28
"The tune will be on one note only"

From the sound of it, best make it the same as those 'silent' dog whistles.