PDA

View Full Version : SAA 340-600 returns after take off - CT

Tallman
19th Dec 2007, 16:36
I was driving on the R300 today at around 09:45 when I saw a SAA 340-600 take off and make a tight and low turn and go in an unusual direction. A minute or so later I saw it land again, quite unusual. Anybody hear about this and have details?

I.R.PIRATE
19th Dec 2007, 16:39
We will probably have the woeful tale in all of tomorrow's newspapers of how the pax were dying and crying and bleeding and praying and screaming....you get the idea...

Romeo E.T.
19th Dec 2007, 16:48
I will hesitate a guess that it wasn't a normal "long-haul" scheduled flight, or else there was a major emergency on board that would have been headlines on all news broadcasts...the reason...on a normal "long-haul" flight the Bus would be well over its landing weight and probably take in excess of 45 minutes to dump to landing weight...thus an immediate return unless in a severe emergency would not take place.

Probably light for a domestic schedule or a maintenance test flight.

rockpecker
19th Dec 2007, 21:34
Happened in Frankfurt a few years ago, I was watching a Korean 747 take off, it flew little more than a circuit, and landed again. Very soon afterwards it was thundering down the runway once more. The reason given was a very, very important lady on board forgot her fur coat in the B/C lounge, and made such a fuss that the crew had to turn back. Whether they just picked up the coat or offloaded her, I dont know. True or false, it still causes a giggle.

E-tjops
20th Dec 2007, 04:37
It was a go-around. No idea why:eek:

Tallman
20th Dec 2007, 06:10
A go around makes most sense. I only saw the turn out not the actual take off.

Rabscuttle
20th Dec 2007, 13:18
Go around due unstable approach. Light tailwind on final.