PDA

View Full Version : SriLankan Airlines - Changes?

A300Man
19th Dec 2007, 16:28
Hearing some rumours of some trouble at the top at UL, with the imminent departure (perhaps) of the EK appointed CEO??? Anyone got any more info?

411A
20th Dec 2007, 13:33
Yeah, it seems the President and his 'group' was denied boarding to (or was it from) London and was pi@@ed.
Employment permit cancelation for the CEO has been mentioned.

Not good policy to 'annoy' the President.:rolleyes:

thegypsy
20th Dec 2007, 16:40
Not a good idea for the President of a bankrupt war torn country desperate for visitors to treat the Airline as his private jet!!

Gotafix
22nd Dec 2007, 05:51
Interesting reading. Looks like the President has few supporters on this one, even though the EK/UL deal itself is not popular in the country.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=1996

srilankanpilot
22nd Dec 2007, 12:33
This is the actions typical of a tyrant or dictator.

This MR is a moron. He cannot see beyond his nose. You do not remove a CEO like that with insult although we all pilots remember how former CEO andrew gray was sent home for his racial comments.

With the airline having a few months to go on the contract and as usual with our pants down, sri lanka has a lot to loose as a result of this idiots actions.
Mihin air does not pay a single penny for ground handling.This is a serious expense to the tax payer.

I think we all are in for a roller coaster ride so hang on or jump ship man each man for himself afterall who is gonna pay our bills.
Our president and his goons will take us to a new low wait and see or get out and see from out the state of our nation.

I think this sort of idiocracy runs in all "MR" will you agree?

Gotafix
22nd Dec 2007, 14:00
srilankanpilot

That last line is absolutely classic :D

So true :ok:

Something terribly wrong with those initials :=

A300Man
22nd Dec 2007, 15:20
The story appears in the business section of today's Gulf News. Emirates have made no secret of their displeasure in the whole thing, making clear the fact that the events "will affect their negotiations with Colombo regarding the renewal of the management contract".

Perhaps time for EK to walk away and let Al Baker take over, as was rumoured some time back, although the political changes in Colombo probably won't be too palatable for anyone at this moment in time.

rayani999
23rd Dec 2007, 18:55
I wonder if Peter Hill worked as CEO in the Middle East, would he refuse last minute requests from the royals?? People are regularly offloaded here because a VIP decided to show up

L1011
24th Dec 2007, 03:04
R999 - The difference I think is that SL is supposed to be a parliamentary democracy and that the airline is a publicly listed corporation.

Bit different to the Gulf Sheikdoms - and anyway the Sheiks usually have their own airplanes anyway. To add to that it was not just the Pres but 35 of his sycophants and bag carriers too.

Just heard that EK will start recruiting pilots from SL once the management agreement has been ended. That will effectively shut the airline down!

LOVE UL
26th Dec 2007, 07:55
Well to be very honest this Peter Hill really deserves it.

Now this is a STORM IN A TEA CUP.

Chaps have you forgotten how he has treared our people..

Treated the Pilots Guild like trash.

Well hope he will be thrown out as far as possible from UL and Sri Lanka.

3 HARDY CHEERS TO THE PRESIDENT.
:D:ok:

srilankanpilot
26th Dec 2007, 10:07
hey LOVE UL,
you are more of a jackass.
firstly please do not be racially inclined.
secondly EK is here because of the lacking by sri lankans to run the airline by ourselfs.Guys like that prat MR a common abbreviation to all twits in future.
thirdly EK will grind UL to a full stop wait and see they will make this prez eat his own S...
lastly it will be hardy cheers mate, mutt it is hearty cheers..........prat

SRI LANKA is a FAILED STATE or in simple terms a "BANANA REPUBLIC"

gotafix 32
27th Dec 2007, 03:33
Hello guys any idea of the ongoing disputes will effect the future ul cadet intakes?

Will there be any intakes coming in shortly with 28 pilots set to leave or no more cadet intakes for next year.

homesick rae
30th Dec 2007, 10:28
LOVE UL:

Why do you feel the need for such a racist slur!?

I think your post is bang out of order and I sincerely hope you are banned from posting on PPRuNe for such a rant.

flyairbus
2nd Jan 2008, 01:28
Shame on you Love UL...

FlyMeToTheStars
6th Jan 2008, 15:50
So Emirates is not going to renew the deal with Sri Lankan and wants to sell their share. What next?????

gulf_slf
6th Jan 2008, 16:33
Just back from CMB ... talk on the street is that there will be a divorce in April of Emirates and Sri Lankan Airways .... the Government will take over the management however EK will maintain the 43% satake in UL and have a seat on the board.....

Details to come however it would seem the Sri Lanakan Government are determined to tak back back control where they can even if thay cannot buy out the EK stake yet .........some judicious funding maybe out there .....

Watch the news pages for information .......

So results are so far ....... T.C. Lark & G. Hardman 0
Sri Lankan Government 1/2 point

No winners in this .... especially us pax !

sholva
7th Jan 2008, 02:31
This article was published today on Lanka Business Online

http://www.lbo.lk/fullstory.php?newsID=866440224&no_view=1&SEARCH_TERM=10

Dont know what the hell is going to happen. :confused:

Sholva.

Gotafix
7th Jan 2008, 02:40
So it finally happened :O

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=3153.

Anyone who did not subscribe to that strange theory that EK would collapse without the UL deal would have realised the writing was on the wall a year ago. :{

newagebird
9th Jan 2008, 00:02
around 25 local pilots have already left which is around 20% of the local pilot workforce..im tipping many more to leave now that the recruitment ban has been lifted by emirates. sad times, hope common sense prevails.

newagebird

K.Whyjelly
13th Jan 2008, 17:21
I see Sri Lankan are advertising for Capt's and F/O's with a European basing (London, Frankfurt, Paris ) on A330/340.

Does anybody know why they are doing this and will it be a good thing???

newagebird
15th Jan 2008, 06:23
April was brought up as a possible time for the next intake..however..thats what they said the last time so wait and see.
they may actually do it this time because of the shortage, pilots will be movin up the ranks, IMO the captains of the A320s are gettin promoted to A330s and beyond and therefore they will need more pilots..

newagebird

srilion
15th Jan 2008, 09:05
Dear coolguy,

before complaining anymore, I suggest you read this; http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308475

it happens everywhere to various levels. wake up man:E

16th Jan 2008, 18:02
flt ops: how does milinda survive all of this? didnt he know the ek/ul deal was nearing an end and that it will result in ul losing numerous pilots.

inflight service: rashmore and his gang must be looking for new boots to lick. how is the primal safety manager aka as the union leader that dumped his flock?

PIA747
23rd Jan 2008, 11:41
Qatar Airways is going to Srilanka to poach airbus crews.

ACA340
25th Jan 2008, 03:22
Sri Lankan has had a great airline in recent years and credit should be given where it is deserved. Peter Hill and Dick Hutton turned around the debt ridden Air Lanka with beat up old TriStars into a world class operation. The problem in the past was payoffs and croniism. Everyone from the tired old CEO Harry to the past president wanted a piece of every contract. The airline is heading back in the same old direction. Harry wants power back so he can milk the company the way he did in the past. There isn't a potential CEO in Sri Lanka with the where withall to run the airline. They need another Peter Hill to stand up to the president and say NO. Without this, it will be a down hill run from here.

As for the pilot problem. Simple: pay the bucks and keep the pilots. Sri Lankan is paying less than the rest of the world so why should the pilots stay?

serendib_Club
29th Jan 2008, 06:27
The next intake will be on the March 9 sunday newspapers...:)
(Latest news from UL HR)

serendib_Club
30th Jan 2008, 08:55
The next intake will be much more genuine than the last one; we all know how the 8 guys went to Sri Lankan Airlines.
The 8 guys are all under special influence
It’s a real joke for people who study…
The next intake will be without golf, perter hill, or milinda influence…

coolguy
31st Jan 2008, 09:52
Please dont blame the guys who got in , Actualy cannot blame the entire batch , there are few who did well and got in with merrit ,,,

Can somebody tell when the next Intakes gonna Be .....

TC

serendib_Club
31st Jan 2008, 11:03
Yhh it’s true you cannot blame the entire badge; you have to blame Mil/Hill Group.

The 8 knew even before the first interview they’re selected. That because they had the question bank on their hand.
People saying that to get in Sri Lankan you do not need to know how to fly but how to play Golf with Mil/Hill Group.

The good news is there will be an intake very soon, when the management comes to the local side Golf Kids can go play Golf and people who have flying skills could join Sri Lankan/Mihin Group.

That’s our Mahinda Chintanaya

Good luck to ALL

Wild_Blue
31st Jan 2008, 14:56
serendib_Club Mil/Hill
The next intake will be much more genuine than the last one; we all know how the 8 guys went to Sri Lankan Airlines.
The 8 guys are all under special influence
It’s a real joke for people who study…
The next intake will be without golf, perter hill, or milinda influence…
:mad: I'm truly amazed to see how low the people in this industry, particularly in this small country have fallen.

To have the capability of bad-mouthing others they know nothing of is beyond excuse. Worse than that is to hide behind a false name while doing it! How can you people really call yourselves "PILOTS"? How I ask you? What really made you choose this career? Was it the money, the uniform and the other perks or was it real genuine passion? I very much doubt it that with sorry souls like you it was the latter.

Just because you are incapable of studying and getting through an exam, does not in any way give you the right to criticise the people that can. Just because you are incapable of demonstrating your skills (if you have any at all!) does not mean that the others that can, deserve to be trodden upon by you!

God forbid that one day you really do get into a cockpit of a commercial aircraft because with this kind of an attitude we can expect nothing of you. Especially in a small community such as this where everyone knows everyone else, you are effectively digging your own grave young man.

I am thankful now I left this country a long time ago for better pastures. If there is one thing I fear in this job, then it is having to be paired up for a flight with an incapable, arrogant snob such as your like. I have spent many moons on this earth and have gone through much. One piece of advice I can give you guys is to clean up your attitudes and your outlooks.

For your added information, I happen to know some of the young gentleman lucky enough to get into the airline this time. From what I have seen, some of them truly deserve it for their hard-work and sacrifice. They kept their mouths shut and did the job that was required, where as people like you just kept running your mouths. This is why they have won the battle and you have lost. Get that through your thick skull and make it a lesson for the next time. :=

Listen to an old man. :hmm:

Out.

Valdemort
1st Feb 2008, 12:31
Anybody knows details about the job offer of UL ( Europe base) ????
Salary and benefits ???

Thanks

Sitting Bull
12th Feb 2008, 09:58
Hi

just a short question: I have flown thousands of command hours on the A330, however as I´m on the big Boeing now, my A330 currency expired a few months ago.

Would that be a problem for Sri Lankan or the Sri Lankan authorities?

Thanks for any info

FlyMeToTheStars
14th Feb 2008, 06:53
Hmmm I see Sri Lankan are advertising for Europe based pilots........

Sitting Bull
15th Feb 2008, 08:18
Hi

the whole airline seems to be quite disorganized...one day they call me 5 times, then they don´t do anything for a month.

What is really going on...do they have enough pilots or are they short? When are they going through with the European basings?

Thanks for some insight

newagebird
17th Feb 2008, 00:24
too true..quite disorganised..they have no link between the top and bottom it seems but its like that in most of sri lanka..pm me..hav i got a story for u

newagebird