PDA

View Full Version : Pat Metheny fans unite!

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 11:59
The Renaissance thread scored a few trolls, most of whom wouldn't know the difference between a clarinet and a saxophone, but I got some gems in my email box.

So: Pat Metheny; what a name to be reckoned with. With about ten CD's of his in my collection, I have a broad knowledge of his styles. Anybody want to start with their opinions?

(Perhaps we should leave ZTS out of it at this stage!)

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 12:13
I know the difference:

The sax is a man's instrument and the clarinet is for the chicks or homos like Kenny G.

Pat Methaney is one of the latter.

Jesus man you ever listen to anything from this century???

J-NUS
19th Dec 2007, 12:16
I have a Jupiter 767, but not having a clarinet, I'l love to be enlightened :rolleyes: Is one bendy, made of metal and the other one straight and made of wood?

Metheny has only one style (boring), so I'd imagine its not hard to have a vast knowledge of it.

:zzz:

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 12:22
Bullshit, A-NUS... what about his other style:

"Muzak"

Bendy???.... :rolleyes: Obviously not a musical bone in your body. For your info, there hasn't been a wooden saxamaphone for about 200 years.

I have a Jupiter 767

Good to see some aviation content, at least...:ok:

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 12:22
Oh Scotty, you moron, you've really done it this time, haven't you?

Do you want me to expose you or would you rather do a google search, realise how out of your depth you are and delete your post? Idiot.

Forkandles
19th Dec 2007, 12:27
Anybody want to start with their opinions?

Okay then. Not really a jazz fan, not having a bus pass yet, but did kind of like the clarinet solo on Baker Street.
Although not on a jazz tune as such, could be classed as a jazz instrument?

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 12:27
Nope. No need. I know who Pat Metheny Group are. That hippy's dealing in beads....

Have you seen his 'fro?????

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 12:35
Good. Just make sure you leave your first post on this thread where it is, so people can have a chuckle at your opinion of what instruments PM and Kenny G play, and so get a sense of what a moron you are.

Forkandles, I'll be more gentle with you. I'll assume you are attempting a windup with your post on Baker Street.

J-NUS
19th Dec 2007, 12:35
Bent Sax and Straight Clarinets, its a mixed up world.

I also have a Telecaster, I don't play it too good, but sharper than 'ol Pats ill-defined caterwauling. If I heard that noise outside my window at night I'd chuck a shoe at it.

Parapunter
19th Dec 2007, 12:39
Bins, Why solicit opinions in order to violently disagree with them:confused:

P.s. Pat Metheny is a scum sucking hippy. I'd rather barbeque my own scrotum than be put through 90 minutes of that gunk. I've heard better noises coming out of Abbatoirs.:eek:

tony draper
19th Dec 2007, 12:40
One admits one had to google the chap,never understood jazz,have watched a couple of youtube clips of jazz guitarists,very skillfull player no doubt but I just don't get it.
Mate of mine's dad was a Jazz Guitarist in the thirties and forties,took me first electric guitar down to show him once, he knew half a million chords but never seemed to play individual notes,so I recon he was a rhythm guitarist,he did say that in the days of the acoustic players the guitarist was always the first to be laid off when times were hard because you couldn't hear them most of the time anyway.
:uhoh:

Forkandles
19th Dec 2007, 12:44
Forkandles, I'll be more gentle with you. I'll assume you are attempting a windup with your post on Baker Street.

Not me, Binos. Just sat around at work on my elbows.

(with thanks to Blackadder Goes Forth)

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 12:50
Parapunter, lots of people start threads about things they like, in the hope they will attract others who agree with them, or disagree with solid reasoning. It is what makes bulletin boards what they are.

Opinions, as they say, are like arseholes, everybody's got one. But I don't start threads as a troll.

Metheny has gone through so many styles in his career, sometimes leaving his previously adoring fans cold, that I thought it was worthwhile asking the opinion of those with an interest in the man's music.

The fact that a couple of obsessives feel it necessary to display their ignorance is not important in the overall scheme of things. I always find it amusing to listen to those on forums like this dismiss artists such as PM as boring and talentless. The images of them sitting in their little rooms railing because their talents have never been properly recognised are a constant source of entertainment.

Now if there are any fans of Pat Metheny who actually know what instrument he plays who would like to contribute their opinions of his various albums I'll welcome them. If not, it will turn out to be just another JB thread destroyed by idiots.

The SSK
19th Dec 2007, 12:58

Watch out, Binos, that'e perilously close to 'discuss'.

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 13:08
Not me; Many moons ago, I played the tenor sax in a local pub band in country NSW. When I was FLYING AIRPLANES in g/a.

No I'm not telling you the name so f.off......

But you're always telling us how little you care about the opinions of others..... *confused*

What self-respecting man knows (or cares) what instrument Kenny G actually plays if it ain't the clarinet or one of the lesser saxes. I recall it was something that belonged in the front (girls') row of high school band.

Possibly the pink oboe....???

........................:zzz:

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 13:10
Very true, SSK, and I wouldhate to leave myself open to charges of hypocrisy, so I will post my own opinions.

The first sample of PM I heard was in a record store listening to Still Life (Talking). I listened to the first two tracks and fell in love with it, bought it (9/10) and moved on to various other albums, including As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (8/10), Off Ramp (8) Secret Story (perfect 10 for the first half, but falling back on self indulgence in the second half to an overall 7), Letter From Home, (8.5) First Circle and 80/81 (both 6.5) and Zero Tolerance for Silence (Zero).

Will that do? At least I know what instrument he plays.

Millionaire Mike
19th Dec 2007, 13:19
One assume it's past bed time in Australia Binos. Are you 'sleep typing', or have you been hitting the grog?

J-NUS
19th Dec 2007, 13:28
I'll never forgive him for ruining Joni Mitchells 'Shadows and Light' album.
His bits are best listened to in public toilets and lifts.

You just have to take one look at Kenny G to see what he blows.

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 13:34
Well, as I sit here listening to Miles of Aisles, I scratch my head in wonder at what you are getting at. Just what the fcuk has Kenny G got to do with any of this? I hate Kenny G! His only relevance to this conversation is that your moronic mate seems to think he plays a clarinet.

Ahh, fcuk it, why am I wasting my time? Where is the ignore button?

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 13:35
Yes, I already said that, A-NUS, about Kenny... see my previous post.

But I'll pass on listening to 'his bits', thanks all the same.

J-NUS
19th Dec 2007, 13:38
Oh sorry! was it Miles of Aisles? As Lucy Van Pelt (or was it Charlie Brown? now my confidence is shot) said, 'You are never so stupid as when you are trying to be smart' Mea Culpa.

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 13:40
This link http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139977 is an example of how music threads used to be conducted here.

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 13:45
how music threads used to be conducted here.

"Conducted". I get it... another puns thread?????

Why didncha say so in the first plaice?

- okay okay, hat, coat and now I'll guitar tof here.

PS:

Oh sorry! was it Miles of Aisles

I'd rather sit through Miles of Piles.... :ugh: :zzz:

Howard Hughes
19th Dec 2007, 14:18
From the other 'quality' (sic) music thread...:rolleyes:
Be wary of anything with Jack de Johnette on drums for the same reason; very technical and basically unlistenable.
The only reason I would listen to Methany, would be to hear Dejohnette, Go figure!:cool:

Geez Bino's in my time on proon you have started some quality threads and some that get me really riled, but this one just seems to go the way of the second side of 'Secret Story!;)

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 14:34
Always glad to hear opinions either way Howard. If you are looking for reasons this thread is the pits, look at how many posts have been made by trolls who wouldn't know their musical ass from their elbow.

I did hope it would be a worthwhile thread, but I'll probably delete it. C'est la vie. A sub-moronic version of oneball appears to have attached itself like a barnacle to my posts when it gets off Flight Sim; again, c'est la vie. (Others here might express it in Latin).

I have better things to do with my time than respond to trolls, so I'll cheerfully spend the next few weeks drinking beer, watching cricket and tennis in the airconditioned comfort of my home. It's a tough life sometimes, but I will bear up under the strain, for that is the sort of guy I am.

Merry Christmas to all.

Capt.KAOS
19th Dec 2007, 14:44
I know a bit of music, be it modern, pop or classic and have played the clarinet and soprano sax myself. I know Rimsky-Korsakovs "Scheherazade" but who the fcuk are the other Scheherazades? And Pat Methanol? Well on the bright side on PPRuNe one learns every day...

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 14:58
Always glad to hear opinions either way Howard

Heheheheheeeheheeheeeeeeee......!! :p :p

Oh - you were serious??? :ooh:

oops!!! :

Utter stuff and nonsense Howard. And no, I don't feel the need to amplify my argument because yours is not worth responding to in detail. .....rather than enjoying a windup I feel sorry for you and your utter lack of appreciation of .... etc etc blah blah

:=

lordsummerisle
19th Dec 2007, 18:15
I know people who love this sort of thing, one of my best mates, and former housemate is a huge fan of Pat Metheney, and will talk for hours about how utterly brilliant he is, and being a drummer himself about jazz drummers i've never heard of.

However listened to his stuff and whilst no doubt technically accomplished, no "heart" whatsoever, just left me completely cold.

The worst sort of self-indulgent jazz wank, where a whole double album will be one track of "virtuoso's" strutting their stuff, for the enjoyment of themselves and other anally retentive admirers.

Another thing if a jazz fan asks if you'd like to have a look at his "Jazz" mag collection, don't get excited, exactly what it says on the tin!

bnt
20th Dec 2007, 10:07
I know the difference:

The sax is a man's instrument and the clarinet is for the chicks or homos like Kenny G.

Pat Methaney is one of the latter.

Jesus man you ever listen to anything from this century???

Oh, you're kidding, right?
- Kenny G's main instrument is the soprano saxophone, not the clarinet.
- If you think Pat Metheny wants anything to do with Kenny G, read this (http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm). Quote:
I encourage everyone to boycott Kenny G recordings, concerts and anything he is associated with. If asked about Kenny G, I will diss him and his music with the same passion that is in evidence in this little essay.
... if I ever DO see him anywhere, at any function - he WILL get a piece of my mind and (maybe a guitar wrapped around his head.)
If you want to play a "man's instrument", take up the bass. The only girly bassists I've seen were actually girls! That goes double for the double bass - no pussyfooting allowed in the doghouse. :ok:

Binoculars
20th Dec 2007, 11:53
I'll address this to Herr Draper, since he obviously knows his guitar chops. I'm not sure, Mr D, whether the videos you watched that left you cold were PM tracks or not. I certainly wouldn't suggest everybody should agree with me, but even allowing for windups, some of the posts here make we wonder if some people posting have ever actually heard him.

Jazz guitar is not for everyone, and the guitar synthesiser is added into the equation as it is in the third clip below it's even more subjective, but I would be genuinely interested in hearing Mr D's opinions of these tracks, or at least the fingersmithery involved therein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFmx_wtsoo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jip0fskuxQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn3zIBBmXiU&feature=related

When I was presenting on community radio I threw in that third track one day and had three calls, a massive response by our standards, wanting to know about it. Music doesn't have to be pigeonholed, there can be something in it for everybody despite their claimed prejudices; I wonder how many people who love Moondance would deny that it has anything to do with jazz?

Edited to add that the first clip linked above is a medley of two tracks; if you're not getting any enjoyment out of the first one, go to the 4.30 mark and try the second track.

Edited again to add another link, which is from PMG's earlier days and which would probably be the most accessible to music lovers who aren't entirely sure they like jazz. Give it a try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPzDguv9gM&feature=related

tony draper
20th Dec 2007, 12:05
Once had the loan of one of Rolands early Guitar Synths,awfull bloody instrument the delay betwixt the pluck and the sound very disconcerting,found it impossible to play,did make some interesting noises though,I understand the technology is much improved now.
One shall have a toot at yer clips Mr B
:rolleyes:

bnt
20th Dec 2007, 12:41
In the early 80s, King Crimson toured with Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew both playing Roland GR-300 guitar synths, a couple of keyboard synths incl one for bassist Tony Levin , and Bill Bruford on Simmons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmons_%28electronic_drum_company%29) synth drums. Sounds like a bloody nightmare to keep all that working, and there were some horror stories I remember hearing.

Bill has since sworn off synth drums for life, but Adrian has been doing some amazing work with them all along. e.g. Big Electric Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvS1RcK7o8). If you ever get to hear the original Three Of A Perfect Pair (King Crimson), he does a fretless guitar synth solo in there that sounds like a robot lusting after a '57 Chevy. Still going strong today, too - the man when it comes to guitar synth IMHO.

Binoculars
20th Dec 2007, 12:49
"..a robot lusting after a '57 Chevy"??????

I'm impressed despite myself, and despite not having the imagination to conjure up what that might sound like...................

Binoculars
20th Dec 2007, 15:24
But then again, Mr D might be more impressed with the following clip; I know we've discussed the Emmanuel brothers before in these pages, but Tommy Emmanuel, or Tony Enamel as he's known to his friends, has this endearing habit of plucking a few chords on the geetar when there is a camera around.

Here's the result of one of those times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo&feature=related

tony draper
20th Dec 2007, 15:46
Have mercy Mr B, as one has stated on many occasions one is still on dial up being to mean to pay for broadband, downloaded and listened to the shortest clip, not what one expected,interesting soundscape.
:rolleyes:

Binoculars
20th Dec 2007, 15:50
Sorry Herr D, I didn't realise there was anywhere left in the civilised world where it still made economic sense to have a dialup connection.

Perhaps I was right?

tony draper
20th Dec 2007, 16:36
Yer would be about the same price actually,but it mean I would have to overcome the inertia and run a coaxial cable through a complex route in order to receive broadband because there is no way one would allow the cowboys these companies employ to do it, actually one gave some thought to running a coaxial along with the telephone cable when I did the job originally,wish one had now.
:(

MagnusP
24th Dec 2007, 09:53
bnt wrote: - If you think Pat Metheny wants anything to do with Kenny G, read this. Quote:

I encourage everyone to boycott Kenny G recordings, concerts and anything he is associated with. If asked about Kenny G, I will diss him and his music with the same passion that is in evidence in this little essay.
... if I ever DO see him anywhere, at any function - he WILL get a piece of my mind and (maybe a guitar wrapped around his head.)

Richard Thompson wrote a song about this; it went

"I agree with Pat Metheny; Kenny's talents are too teeny." :D

timmcat
24th Dec 2007, 18:49
Used to be a huge fan of PM in the early / mid eighties. Not listened to much of his later stuff, but now have his entire collection (including co-productions with the likes of Lyle Mays) on my ipod.

Gotta say that with the exception of the oldies which I grew up with, the rest doesn't really float my boat.

Never really considered him to be a hippy though.....