PDA

View Full Version : Stress ECG

NeoDude
19th Dec 2007, 11:53
Hey folks,

I have an appointment for a 24hr ECG and Stress ECG at Gatwick in January. I'm really quite worried about the stress ECG, I've heard it follows the Bruce Protocol until your pulse reaches 200bpm :ooh:. Now, I go to the gym 3 times a week and have been trying out the Bruce Protocol on the treadmills down there, and the thing is I get to about 11 or 12 minutes and my legs are completely shot with my pulse never getting above 170bpm. Can anyone put my mind at ease at what exactly they are expecting from me? Because there is no way I'm ever getting to 200bpm without my legs collapsing from under me. Cheers.

gingernut
19th Dec 2007, 15:38
This may be useful. http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40000517/

(The 200bpm seems to be a guide)

Why the tests?

Sounds like your fitter than a butchers dog.

NeoDude
19th Dec 2007, 15:51
Long story. Had issues with my ECG at my NATS medical and had to go and see a cardiologist who gave me an echoscan and a cardiac MRI. Cardiologist says I have a slightly enlarged heart but that there is nothing wrong with me and it is probably just the way I am. CAA now want me to do a 24hr ECG and a stress ECG prior to my class 1. I would say I was fairly fit but I am about 3 stone overweight and have only just gave up smoking a few days ago.

Cheers for the link. Going by that info I should only have to get to 160bpm. That sounds a bit better.

gingernut
19th Dec 2007, 17:04
Sounds like they're being cautious-keep us informed:)

NeoDude
11th Jan 2008, 15:48
Well, got my class 1, by the skin of my teeth. The docs say that while my BP is within normal limits it is at the high side of normal limits and should be a lot lower for my age, they want me to return next year for a another check. Time to lose some weight methinks. I'm convinced now though that NATS medical will probably give me a big no once they read the CAA reports. Fingers Crossed.

gingernut
11th Jan 2008, 16:47
Sorry, I don't know the nuances of the CAA and NATS medical, but from reading previous contributors on this forum, i wouldn't have thought raised blood pressure alone would be an issue.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=303414&highlight=blood

Control needs to be tight in your case, but easilly maneagable.

NeoDude
11th Jan 2008, 17:09
I think the medical bods at NATS are looking for assurances of your health in the long term considering the amount that they are spending on your training.

gingernut
11th Jan 2008, 19:55
Do the CAA have different standards than NATS?

chris-squire
11th Jan 2008, 22:02
Its all regulated by the CAA but different standards in medical fitness do exist between ATC's and Pilot's. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are but I got talking to a bloke who was about to start his ATC training when I did my class 1 back in august and from what I gather they're pretty strict.

CS :ok: