PDA

View Full Version : B737 Spot the emergency exits

Centaurus
19th Dec 2007, 11:02
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/DSCN0015.jpg

Nice paintwork - but unless you know exactly where to look, the wing emergency exits are hard to spot for would-be rescuers

blueloo
19th Dec 2007, 11:06
Were you naked when you took that photo - i can see your reflection :E

VBA Engineer
19th Dec 2007, 11:31
What is it that you would expect a "would be rescuer" to be able to do with a closed overwing emergency exit, there is no external handle.

Having been involved in painting aircraft for many years I just don't really see the point of the 50mm band around the overwing door.

And while I think of it, should the contrasting 50mm band be around the exit door or around the exit door opening?

I have seen many variations on different aircraft and it does make a difference once the door is opened.

woftam
19th Dec 2007, 11:44
Really?

Emergency Exit Doors
Four Type III emergency exits are located in the passenger cabin over the wings.
These are canopy-type doors and are held in place by mechanical locks and
airplane cabin pressure.
The doors can be opened from inside or outside of the airplane by a spring–loaded
handle at the top of the door.

VBA Engineer
19th Dec 2007, 12:02
Apologies, I stand corrected.

woftam
19th Dec 2007, 12:08
No worries. :ok:
I think I was wrong once.............then again I could have been mistaken. :)
That is one of the good things about this forum. Apart from the usual mudslinging and appendage comparison there is some useful and factual information that gets distributed around.

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 12:36
Any qualified rescuer (in Australia) will know exactly where the exit is on any aircraft type operating into this country.

Any un-qualified rescuer probably wouldn't know where to start looking, anyway.

Most aviation-oriented folk have a clue the emergency exits are often over the wing and would find them after a brief (couple of seconds) search.

More importantly, can you easily see the chainsaw guidelines????? Not from this angle, at least.

I also thought you could only operate the exit from the inside........

woftam
19th Dec 2007, 12:40
If you DO operate the exit from the outside Scotty STAND CLEAR! It goes up like the proverbial in a bath. ;)

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 13:14
I bet it does!

Still, at least once the door is off, it wouldn't be hard to extricate the young tasties in the crew.

Unlike at The Rat... your average Quantas porker would need the exit frame lubed up with all the leftover butters off the Economy trays, just to get her fat arrse out...!!!

Taildragger67
19th Dec 2007, 16:21
Scotty,

First, there's no 'U' in Qantas :}

Second, that's a member of my family you're talking about! :}:}

and just make sure that you're not using P-cls chocolates or Oreos to lube the portal up with or you'll have company security after you... :hmm:

Kanga767
19th Dec 2007, 17:14
And while I think of it, should the contrasting 50mm band be around the exit door or around the exit door opening?

CASA AD/Gen/4 amdt 3 specifically states in para 2 (f) that the contrasting band around each emergency exit will be painted on the fuselage. Now what is interesting is; does a normal exit also serve as an emergency exit?

Out of interest, Metroliner overwing exits cannot be opened from the outside.

K

Keg
19th Dec 2007, 21:31
Second, that's a member of my family you're talking about!

And if she hasn't changed since I last saw her (six or seven years?) then she won't be needing any butter to get out of the exits! There are a number of follow up lines but none of them suitable for this forum! :eek: :} :E

Dubya
20th Dec 2007, 00:13
.. and who do you think would make up "most-would-be-rescuers"??? The average jo-blo off the street. Most would-be-rescuers would be dudes who are trained to be there and at least be IQ tested to know that 'Overwing exits' will be found "OVER THE WING"

Honestly, some of you guys must be challenged by the seat belt demo given by the hosties....:ugh::ugh: