PDA

View Full Version : Whats Really out there

flyboy_33
19th Dec 2007, 09:14
Sorry guy's and gal's,

Not something about space exploration but more important.

I hear all the time about people doing hours to get to Airlines.
but

Whats really out there for any pilot that does not want to go that route and wants to remain in GA as a commercial pilot without being an instructor?.

Ultimately my aim would be something along the lines of Royal Flying Doctor's but what else is actually available to pilots in General Aviation? and how would I find someone who could give me solid advise in the ACT area.
Thank you for all your help
Flyboy
:ok:

Launchpad McQuack
19th Dec 2007, 09:23
What about Corporate aviation? That would be pretty rewarding, good equipment etc and the pay doesn't appear to be all that bad. Any biz-jet pilots care to comment?

Good to see not everybody wants the shiny jet job.

LP

flyboy_33
21st Dec 2007, 21:01
Thanks Launchpad,

I will definitely look into that avenue. Have a safe and Merry Christmas.

Cheers

FB33

Towering Q
22nd Dec 2007, 23:30
Coastwatch could be another avenue worth looking into.

Howard Hughes
23rd Dec 2007, 00:31
If your location is correct, have you tried Corporate Air Canberra?:ok:

flyboy_33
23rd Dec 2007, 05:31
Thanks very much.
Had a look at the Corporate Air web site. Still working on getting that elusive cpl. Plans are by the end of the year should have the remaining part saved to finish it. I am prepared to head north if I need to but with the shortage of pilots getting steadily worst I am hoping I may be able to land something here on the east coast and possible even here in the ACT. I do have a young family and so need to take every option seriously.
Thank you again and it does give me hope that I can and will find something out there that I can live with and not go to the airlines.
Merry Christmas

Howard Hughes
23rd Dec 2007, 05:44
May I suggest getting down there and showing your face around! Doesn't hurt to get to know people that is the key in this industry, took me a long while to work that out...;)

ops_guy
23rd Dec 2007, 07:24
What about crop dusting? I think that would be a pretty challanging and rewarding job. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself in the future.

Chris

neville_nobody
24th Dec 2007, 06:13
Whats really out there for any pilot that does not want to go that route and wants to remain in GA as a commercial pilot without being an instructor?.

Why on earth would you want to do that to yourself?

I can understand RFDS; or career in Ag but to remain in GA charter as career??!! You would be better off in every way by going to a regional airline. You will get paid more, the equipment is better, the conditions are better, you will get a roster. None of which exist in GA!

Also consider the fact that GA aircraft are already very very very old and noone is really buying new gear except for the odd Caravan. Which means you will be still be sitting in the icing zone, and in the weather.

Corporate jobs on jets usually hire airline pilots and the corporate Turboprop jobs usually hire RFDS pilots or someone know to the owner.

One possibility is Survey but that would mean long periods away from home often in very remote areas flying GA aircraft. Again all things out together you would be better off in a Regional.

Capt Wally
24th Dec 2007, 09:18
.........just quickly 'FB33' corporate flying although sounds glamorous isn't at the end of the day. You would rarely get any sort of roster, yr basicly on call 24/7 & at the whim of a high roller in some cases! The money isn't too bad although that doesn't go for all of them & the equip is usually tops, but again that doesn't go for all of them either, but you 'pay' for that so called glamorous job with a disfuctional family life.
The RFDS is probably the most rewarding all round job outside of the majors, if you can call that work rewarding!. If you want stability, a roster & reasonable pay on good gear then GA isn't the place long term.

Remember everything in aviation is a compromise.
I don't blame you for not seeking to go to the airlines, they offer little (T&C's) for the hard work to get there, besides it's 'bus' flying at it's worse !:)

CW:)

multime
24th Dec 2007, 15:21
Sorry but Ag isn,t something you,d GIVE A GO.

Not a cowboy industry anymore.

So before you jump into a multi million dollar Airtractor, please tell the veterans what their doing wrong.?

Cheers M:ok:

compressor stall
24th Dec 2007, 16:24
There are other jobs out there on the fringe keeping some of us happy. We're dual endorsed on a 75000kg machine and a 8100kg machine.... The flying is fun, and people pay thousands to see a tiny fraction of what we see and experience. The lack of pilot turnover says a lot.

We are away a bit over summer but home a lot all around - and probably warmer than Canberra....:oh: :E

Tmbstory
24th Dec 2007, 18:05
neville_nobody:

Re your post#9

A basic difference is that Charter/Bizjet operations mean that you are not
stuck on the same network of routes all the time, as the airlines are. You are also a Command pilot very early on in your career.

I have seen far more of the World in a BizJet than most airline or regional pilots have.

At 40000 feet or so you would normally be above the icing zone.

Corporate jobs on Jets usually go to the most experienced applicants and not necessarily to an airline pilot.

It is a matter of choice to a newcomer in the Industry as to which path to follow. Good luck to them all.

Tmb

Towering Q
25th Dec 2007, 07:17
G'day Stallie, your job is certainly "out there on the fringe!"

Or should that be "out there in the fridge?" :ooh:

compressor stall
25th Dec 2007, 11:27
Hardly. It was 1 degree today, bright sunshine and not a breath of wind. Spent 2 hours outside in t-shirt kicking the footy and playing frisbee working off the incredible food....

Towering Q
25th Dec 2007, 22:19
Gotto love that Global Warming!!:uhoh: