PDA

View Full Version : Arguing on t'interweb forums.

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 15:36
Whatís the point? I donít mean the usual pub banter type of piss taking, or the smug grammar police who pounce at every opportunity.
No, I mean the real arguing, like the climate change/global warming, my religionís better than yours, etc, etc, threads that drag on forever. Is it really that important to get your view across to a 46 year old bachelor, sitting semi naked in a darkened room, waiting for his old dear to call him downstairs for his tea?
It canít be that important for you to make him realise that you are a wise and well travelled individual, who knows Ďthingsí and have seen Ďstuffí that he could surely only have googled and be reciting second or third hand?

I know debate is healthy and should be encouraged, but Iím sure itíd be a fair bet that some of you guys/girls on here spend far more time arguing into the ether than you do sat down talking to your families. If you have one. Which you probably havenít.

Right, Iím off home to ignore the wife and convince anyone thatíll listen (or whatever itís called online) that Eric Cantona was definitely a better captain than Brian Robson. On a Liverpool Fans Forum. Should get a result there, methinks. :E

fernytickles
18th Dec 2007, 15:41
On top of that, is it worse to ignore the other half because

a. you are glued to watching rubbish on tv, shouting at rubbish on tv or grumbling at the quality of the rubbish on tv

or

b. you each have a computer and are glued to your favourite forum - footie, pprune, etc, etc, - pointlessly arguing the finer points of something earth shattering with total strangers?

Not that I'm speaking from experience, you understand.... :E

Ozzy
18th Dec 2007, 15:46
Stop whinging ya moaning git. I blame the French meself.:E:E

Ozzy

gingernut
18th Dec 2007, 15:46
I do argue in real life too, but I must admit, it's sometimes useful to get a few opposing views via the web. Sometimes, in real life, people agree with you, when they don't really want to.

No chance of that in here:}

Loose rivets
18th Dec 2007, 15:57
Right, let's get this straight.

You find it difficult to understand why some of us get involved in lengthly arguments on such subjects as God, the Universe and everything, yet you concern yourself with the merits of someone that kicks a ball about (or shouts at such a person or persons ) Yeeeees, I seeeeeeeeee. :rolleyes:

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 16:12
Right, let's get this straight.

You find it difficult to understand why some of us get involved in lengthly arguments on such subjects as God, the Universe and everything, yet you concern yourself with the merits of someone that kicks a ball about (or shouts at such a person or persons ) Yeeeees, I seeeeeeeeee. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's my point exactly. :rolleyes:

tony draper
18th Dec 2007, 16:24
One of the main topics of conversation in the workplace has disappeared now, it used to be the previous nights television,but there are now so many channels that no two people watch the same programs, that and and the fact that television is shite now of course. :rolleyes:

HILF
18th Dec 2007, 16:45
Forkandles - I fundamentally disagree with you, wish I could spend longer doing it - or even muster some rationale argument, but I have to cook the kid's tea now:p

HILF

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 16:55
Put some clothes on then go out and get laid you sad git.

I'm 37, you cheeky [email protected]
And your grammar is appalling.

frostbite
18th Dec 2007, 16:57
A lot of us have arguing as the last thing on our minds, you sad pompous git.

We come on here, full of goodwill and good humour, and then some twonk like you decides to lump us all into the same category.

Your sort just likes antagonising people and should be banned from any discussion forum.

(was it a five minute or a ten minute argument I paid for?)

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 17:07
That's more like it AIDU!
Always try to get a bit of venom in there, if at all possible. Top marks. :ok:

tony draper
18th Dec 2007, 17:40
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/Tony_Draper/gnomo.gif

corsair
18th Dec 2007, 18:05
I agree, there is no point really. Therefore the only reason to get involved is for your own amusement. When it stops amusing you, don't do it any longer. I used to get involved in the big arguments far more than I do now. I've lost interest to some extent, in part because I'm no longer an old bathelor waiting for my Mother to call me for my tea.:8 (Stops for a moment to recall that time with nostalgia:hmm:) Now my wife expects me to call her for her tea and the baby always needs a nappy change:(
In part I went off the whole idea simply from irritation at the way some people deliberately or stupidly completely misinterpret what I say and then start to be insulting. There are some right ******s on this forum. It's always remarkable the kind of replies you get to something quite innocently posted.
Even replying to the original post is a bit pointless. It's only the internet after all.
To be fair, I've made some good friends in real life, coming from something I posted on this website. So maybe that's the point.

AirScrew
18th Dec 2007, 18:31
Somebody had to bring this in, so I thought I would at least make some of us smile......
It makes some of our rantings seem almost genial....

Man: (Knock)
Mr Vibrating: Come in.

Man: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
Mr Vibrating: I told you once.

Man: No you haven't.
Mr Vibrating: Yes I have.

Man: When?
Mr Vibrating: Just now.

Man: No you didn't.
Mr Vibrating: Yes I did.

Man: You didn't!
Mr Vibrating: I'm telling you I did!

Man: You did not!!
Mr Vibrating: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Man: Oh, just the five minutes.
Mr Vibrating: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.

Man: You most certainly did not.
Mr Vibrating: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.

Man: No you did not.
Mr Vibrating: Yes I did.

Man: You didn't.
Mr Vibrating: Did.

Man: Oh look, this isn't an argument.
Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't. It's just contradiction.
Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: It is!
Mr Vibrating: It is not.

Man: Look, you just contradicted me.
Mr Vibrating: I did not.

Man: Oh you did!!
Mr Vibrating: No, no, no.

Man: You did just then.
Mr Vibrating: Nonsense!

Man: Oh, this is futile!

Man: I came here for a good argument.
Mr Vibrating: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.

Man: An argument isn't just contradiction.
Mr Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Man: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
Mr Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
Mr Vibrating: Yes it is!

Man: No it isn't!
Man: Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)

Man: It is.
Mr Vibrating: Not at all.

Man: Now look.
Mr Vibrating: (Rings bell) Good Morning.

Man: What?
Mr Vibrating: That's it. Good morning.

Man: I was just getting interested.
Mr Vibrating: Sorry, the five minutes is up.

Man: That was never five minutes!
Mr Vibrating: I'm afraid it was.

Man: It wasn't.
(Pause)
Mr Vibrating: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.

Man: What?!
Mr Vibrating: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

Man: Yes, but that was never five minutes, just now. Oh come on!
Mr Vibrating: (Hums)

Man: Look, this is ridiculous.
Mr Vibrating: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!

Man: Oh, all right.
(pays money)
Mr Vibrating: Thank you. (short pause)

Man: Well?
Mr Vibrating: Well what?

Man: That wasn't really five minutes, just now.
Mr Vibrating: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

Man: I just paid!
Mr Vibrating: No you didn't.

Man: I DID!
Mr Vibrating: No you didn't.

Man: Look, I don't want to argue about that.
Mr Vibrating: Well, you didn't pay.

Man: Aha. If I didn't pay, why are you arguing? I Got you!
Mr Vibrating: No you haven't.

Man: Yes I have. If you're arguing, I must have paid.
Mr Vibrating: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.

Man: Oh I've had enough of this.
Mr Vibrating: No you haven't.

Man: Oh Shut up.

Tigs2
18th Dec 2007, 18:36
Airscrew

Thank you:D:D:D

glazierflyer
18th Dec 2007, 18:46
Eric Cantona!? Say no more!!

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 18:51
Eric Cantona!? Say no more!!

As a Manchester United fan, from Manchester, I find it highly distasteful to be agreed with by someone calling themself 'Glazier'. :suspect:

helimutt
18th Dec 2007, 18:56
So there we have it. Fukhandles is a manc hence his main problem (he's a belend) . I've never quite understodd why sad old tossers feel the need to come onto internet forums and preach about their preferred football team, who, come to think of it, are just a bunch of sad, overpaid, prima donna, to&&ers.

Have a nice day.

PS, i'm not 46 yet!:E:E

glazierflyer
18th Dec 2007, 18:57
Forkandles,

I believe you have taken my comment the wrong way. I was being sarcastic.

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 18:59
I do believe my work here is done.

helimutt
18th Dec 2007, 19:01
I think so too, goodnight and goodbye!
ps, I didnt want to write bell end, LMAO. I was being sarcastic too. ;):D He's a lovely bloke really. :hmm:

Loose rivets
18th Dec 2007, 19:07
Is the head of a penis supposed to be sensitive??!! ****. Mine has never given me the slightest consideration...just expects me to follow it wherever it goes, without question. It's a total p:mad:k.

helimutt
18th Dec 2007, 19:12
Can't answer that question anymore. I'm married so have no need for it's use.

goudie
18th Dec 2007, 19:30
I mean the real arguing

Many people do not understand the difference between valid arguing and just slagging other people off. This thread demonstrates the point very clearly.

goudie
18th Dec 2007, 19:57
why sad old tossers feel the need to come onto internet forums

Point made!

goudie
18th Dec 2007, 20:52
AIDU my dear chap it was you I had in mind, not me.

Mini fan
18th Dec 2007, 22:03
perving over Carol Vorderman

Carol? I think you'll find Suzy in "Dictionary Corner" is a much more attractive prospect.

tony draper
18th Dec 2007, 22:20
One likes Carol she wears proper girly clothes, frocks and such, and she has spiffing legs.
:E