PDA

View Full Version : Any Renaissance fans in JetBlast?

Binoculars
18th Dec 2007, 14:48
Well, they're never going to be considered the greatest group of all time, but I know they have a hard core following, to which I belong.

Sitting here listening to Scheherezade at an advanced hour and realising that I still love it thirty years after I first heard it.

Anybody else a closet fan?

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 14:53
Caravaggio was alright, but that Tintoretto was a right cnut!

J-NUS
18th Dec 2007, 15:41
One of my best pokemon was called Charizard, I wonder if they are related?

Cremeegg
18th Dec 2007, 15:43
Annies voice still crystal clear after all these years. Mother Russia. She's still singing and has a pretty active website - can't remember the URL but Google is your friend. Long time since I've been through Mackay - great memories.

Binoculars
18th Dec 2007, 15:46
I knew that eventually there would be someone with something vaguely relevant to say. Thanks.

J-NUS
18th Dec 2007, 15:53
Relevant? Come on, hands up who have even heard of them let alone like them! We kick started a thread that was heading rapidly south. A little thanks might be in order, no? Anyway, Sheherezade sounds like something my mum used to give me when I was ill.

Binoculars
18th Dec 2007, 16:27
Yep, this thread was heading south at a great rate of knots 50 minutes after I started it. Just because your musical knowledge doesn't encompass a particular group doesn't mean they are irrelevant. It just shows your knowledge is limited.

But thanks for rescuing the thread, I would have been devastated without your comments.

Anybody with anything relevant to say?

Cheerio
18th Dec 2007, 17:21
Bump ;)

ScottyDoo
18th Dec 2007, 17:29
Anybody with anything relevant to say?

I guess not. But that's not to say it isn't the best thread ever... :zzz:

Still - one wouldn't think you'd be so picky if you're trying to appear intellectual on JetBlast.

Renaissance? You're lucky anyone knows how to spell it. 1000 Boring-points for Binoculars....:rolleyes:

Reverse Bump.

Maufe
18th Dec 2007, 17:30
Bump...... ;)

ScottyDoo
18th Dec 2007, 17:31
DOUBLE Reverse Bump, LOCKIES.

No un-LOCKIES...

...times 100,000,000,000.

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 17:33
Anybody else a closet fan?

Yes! Here is a picture of my most favourite closet!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:baetpdwF1tzL2M:http://www.dann-online.com/clothing/Blazers%26Sportcoats/critts_closet_5.jpg

ScottyDoo
18th Dec 2007, 17:35
Yeah I was thinking of running that line, too, but thought it a tad obvious for Binos' liking. Wish I had now.

Bump.

Reverse Bump.

bnt
18th Dec 2007, 17:49
If I may stay on topic for a minute: one of my favourite albums is Jacob Heringman's (http://www.heringman.com/) recording of 16thC Lute settings by Bakfark & Waissel - reviews here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/Waissel). Nothing like Lute for calming one down. :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
18th Dec 2007, 17:51
Any Renaissance fans in JetBlast? I'm particularly enamoured of some of the artistic developments such as the use of perspective, and certainly some great scientific progress was made. However this needs to be balanced againsed the rise of papal patronage, which eventually led to the reformation.

All in all the use of classical texts as the foundation of learning was central to the development of our world today and by terminating the Dark and Middle ages, it cannot and should not be praised to highly by we members of the 'modern' world.

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 17:53
If I may stay on topic for a minute: one of my favourite albums is Jacob Heringman's (http://www.heringman.com/) recording of 16thC Lute settings by Bakfark & Waissel - reviews here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/Waissel). Nothing like Lute for calming one down. :)

Was Lute a 16th century scouser, perchance? :E

Sorry Binos... small things and small minds, etc.

ScottyDoo
18th Dec 2007, 18:29
.....it cannot and should not be praised to highly by we members of the 'modern' world.

Nice effort... right up 'til the end...!! :p

:zzz:

Whirlygig
18th Dec 2007, 18:57
Thanks Binos, I wouldn't say I was a closet fan but maybe more of a forgotten fan - you've reminded me of a good album which I haven't heard for around 25 years; I think I may still have it on compact cassette!!!

At least I appreciate your thread!!! :}

Cheers

Whirls

mini
18th Dec 2007, 23:32
Renaissance...

Got me thinking of Mainie Jellet and cubisim... Renaissance is relevant.

As for music, more into the Romantics myself...

...beats a *bump* :ok:

revik
18th Dec 2007, 23:50
Jetblast - certainly a blast from the past! Saw them perform at the Victoria Palace (is it still there) circa December 1975. The LP is up in the roof gathering dust but I might just go up and ressurect it.:ok:

the incivil beast
19th Dec 2007, 00:00
Some time earlier than Whirlygig, one had recorded a couple of a friend's LPs on compact cassettes, but they got lost since them.

One used to appreciate them but one is more into the original stuff aksherly, or even older stuff like early baroque (Dowland, Simpson et al).

CoodaShooda
19th Dec 2007, 06:22
Must be a community radio announcers thing Bino's.

I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy their work until you started this thread. :ugh:

Wonder what scran thinks of them.

ORAC
19th Dec 2007, 10:29
First thing that popped into my mind was "Turn of the Cards". Always thought "Cold is Being" was a bit of a dirge.

Love female vocal but was more a fan of June Tabor, Maddy Prior etc.

pvmw
19th Dec 2007, 10:45
shades of my youth......................

I saw them several times when I was a student, and all my albums are up in the loft somewhere as well. I must go and dig them out. My favourite song..... Ocean Gypsy I think. It just seemed to suit Annie Haslam's voice.

I was never wildly keen on Maddy Prior, but Sandy Denny tho', there was a singer!! I always wondered how good she would have become if she'd lived.

Captivep
19th Dec 2007, 11:19
I remember staying up until one in the morning to record a live concert being broadcast by BFBS Germany in about 1978...

Did graduate to buying the albums on cd but haven't listened to them for years - might be a christmas project!

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 12:50
Maddy had a gorgeous voice, but I never really took to the style of Steeleye Span's songs. Chacun a son gout of course.

Sandy Denny? Neither a better or worse voice than Maddy's or Judy Collins', but I loved her without reservation after hearing a Fairport album called What We Did On Our Holidays. The CD is still one of my prized possessions.

Since the only ones reading are those interested, apart from the trolls, I'll tell a little story on this matter. I first heard WWDOOH in 1972, and flogged it to death. Finding it on CD years later was one of those YES! YES! YES! moments.

Going back a decade or so, I was living in Sydney when the afternoon announcer, whom I suspect was the now iconic Margaret Throsby, played a version of She Moved Through the Fair, which apparently attracted a bit of interest. The next day she invited input from anybody who could add to the story, so I rang her and told her of FC's version, which she subsequently located and played, which caused another wave of attention and curiosity. The whole thing went on for about a week.

Later in my Community Radio presenter days, I once played the same melody three times in succession; firstly the version by....arrgghh, the Irish group, I've forgotten their name; was it the Pogues? followed by the Fairport Convention version, followed by Belfast Child by Simple Minds. I think we only had about fifty listeners but I got about ten phone calls in succession asking about it.

A couple of months later I played a sample of a Goons show, fading straight into the FC version, and once again the phones lit up. Well, relatively speaking of course. Yeah mate, you know that track you played after the goons, what was that? That sort of thing. It was and still is a stunning piece of music; that rare confluence of a song and a voice perfectly matched. One of those things that make us music lovers grateful we can hear what others can't.

I'm not sure Annie Haslam's voice, while technically superb, ever met the standards of Maddy, Judy or Sandy in terms of interpretation but I am the first to admit that I have absolutely no qualifications to judge that.

Thanks to those who PM'd me on this subject!

ORAC
19th Dec 2007, 13:22
Don't judge Maddy just on Steeleye Span. I am very much an english folk fan and the players singers of all the bands interchaged. The members and changing names of Fairport Convention and the Albion Country Band/Albion Band (Rise Up Like the Sun was brilliant - I wonder how many knew what the subject of "Poor Old Horse" really was - but I love "Lay Me Low") is an hour talk just on it's own.

I have, or had, both of Maddy Prior & Tim Hart's records of Folk Song's of Old England - wonderful.

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 13:28
'tis true, Orac. Maddy was not just Steeleye Span. To be honest I was a marginal folk fan, and Sandy's appearance with FC was one of those fortunate serendipities that melded with my particular musical taste. Unhalfbricking, for example, was often said to be FC's masterpiece. It did absolutely nothing for me.

Forkandles
19th Dec 2007, 13:30
Jesus, I think I've just slipped into a coma...

The SSK
19th Dec 2007, 13:47
Earkier this year I discovered, to my delight, that I had been at Steeleye Span's first-ever gig (it was the Fresher's concert in my first week at uni). Been in love with Maddy ever since, although pretty much lost interest in Steeleye when they took a drummer on board.

There are some interesting, engaging and ultimately moving clips of Maddy on Youtube - she's been diagnosed with a skin cancer - hope she's going OK.

ScottyDoo
19th Dec 2007, 14:51
Can't you even spell "Steely Dan" properly?????

The SSK
19th Dec 2007, 15:33
Yes, if I need to

And your point is?

Oh, I see, it was an attempt at humour

Binoculars
19th Dec 2007, 15:36
Don't feed the trolls, SSK.

The SSK
19th Dec 2007, 15:42
Sorry, Sir, I don't know what came over me.