PDA

View Full Version : Dornoch

llanfairpg
18th Dec 2007, 13:15
Is there anyone around who had flying lesson at Dornoch in the 70s or flew out of this airfield around this time

Croqueteer
18th Dec 2007, 20:17
:)I instructed there 76ish.

llanfairpg
18th Dec 2007, 22:16
You must be ex Pegasus then perhaps?

Croqueteer
19th Dec 2007, 13:17
:)And AAC. The normal progression at the time!

llanfairpg
20th Dec 2007, 13:13
Will have some info for you soon

Kiltie
14th Jan 2008, 16:44
The seventies are a little too far back for me but I do remember the early eighties. HAC used G-BAUY and G-BFLU for weekend flying lessons there in the late seventies. Other visitors included Scottish Malt Distiller's Aztec and occasional golf charters. I recall the aerodrome became de-licensed in 1982.

Do you remember as far back as '73 when Loganair ran a Trislander on a schedule? The history books say there was a second cross runway there but I could never picture where it ran despite still visiting there to this day.

The strip is still in fantastic condition, helped by the blocking of vehicles attempting to cross it with wooden studs which completely surround the perimeter. Sadly the old 1950s Bedford yellow fire engine departed some years ago and the shed is used for storing wooden partitions for the nearby Dornoch Agricultural Show held in July.

africacorps
15th Jan 2008, 00:13
I am sure there is a few that remember the Royal Dornoch trips hammereing the oil companies trips/competions in the 80`s before Nairn, Dave ,Terry \especially Lemmy!:{

llanfairpg
16th Jan 2008, 11:56
Technically of couse Dornoch was never licensed, when i was there the fire house door was firmly locked with the fire engine behind it!!!

Kiltie
22nd Jan 2008, 07:58
True re the fire engine being locked up but the licence was definitely in place up until 1982 having originated to cover the Loganair schedule; I still have the newspaper cutting bringing news of its demise.

llanfairpg
22nd Jan 2008, 12:32
Yes it was licensed but a licensed airfield is only operating within its licence when there is fire cover available. If fire cover is not available the airfield is not available for aircraft who need a licensed airfield EG training and public transport.

You cant expect the crew of a burning aircraft to axe the doors down and drive the fire engine out to their own aircraft--there has to be a trained firemen on duty!