PDA

View Full Version : PC Radio 1?

fernytickles
18th Dec 2007, 13:18
Obviously a hugely important and significant decision which has been taken by some seriously responsible and worthy people, bound to be world changing.... Imagine if they hadn't been so responsible, how the poor little mites being forced to listen to such a rude and insulting word as faggot, or arse, would grow up, scarred for life.... :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7149525.stm

"BBC Radio 1 has said it will stand by its ban on the word "faggot" from the Pogues' 1987 Christmas hit Fairytale of New York to avoid offence......"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
18th Dec 2007, 13:20
I generally try to avoid offence by going around it, through a gate or, if low enough, jumping over it.

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 13:33
Bah it's not about not causing offence as such, it's more about not wanting to field complaints from the Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Angrys of this world who like nothing better than to pick holes in everything & yes that does include the media.

2 sheds
18th Dec 2007, 13:33
What exactly makes "scumbag" acceptable but "faggot" unacceptable in the BBC's judgement? Who are all these people they claim would be offended?

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 13:36
Who are all these people they claim would be offended?

Probably the same people, the majority of which, will be offended to be told they would be offended by the lyrics.

Forkandles
18th Dec 2007, 13:46
It was played on Moyles's radio show the other morning with the offensive word dubbed out, and within 3 minutes of the song ending, Moyles and the rest of his crazy gang had said 'faggot' and 'arse' several times while discussing the dubbed song.

Needless to say, I penned an immediate letter to the head of BBC Radio 1 outlining the full extent of my outrage.

Rather be Gardening
18th Dec 2007, 14:14
It's probably upset the vegetarians. Mark my words, haggis and black pudding will probably be next, although I can't think of too many songs including them in the lyrics.

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2007, 14:31
It's not to protect the listeners, it's to avoid offending the staff.

Curious Pax
18th Dec 2007, 14:41
Clearly the staff of Radio 1 are sensitive souls - Radio 2 are happily playing the full unedited version!!

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 14:44
Mark my words, haggis and black pudding will probably be next, although I can't think of too many songs including them in the lyrics.

Erm wellll

From my younger days, sung to the tune of one of the Sousa (I think) marches - yea OK I'll hum it you play along

"All of a sudden a dirty black pudding
Came flying through the air
It missed my mother and hit my brother"

Note 1 Aviation content - flying
Note 2 Can't rremember the rest

Rather be Gardening
18th Dec 2007, 14:56
West Lakes, if you look out of your window, you'll see the black car drawing up outside .... don't let them take you alive!

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 14:58
They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away He He
Those great big men in their fancy coats

The only record where the B side was the A side played backwards

Big Tudor
18th Dec 2007, 15:09
For those wishing to sing along to the full version
"You're a bum, you're a punk,
you're an old slut on junk.
Lying there almost dead with a drip in that bed.
You scumbag you maggot.
You cheap lousy faggot.
Happy Christmas yer arse, I pray God it's our last."

westlakes - the version I remember was
All of a sudden a great mealie pudding
came flying through the air.
Did she duck,
did she f***,
it hit her fair & square.

Tigs2
18th Dec 2007, 15:20
Rather be Gardening
West Lakes, if you look out of your window, you'll see the black car drawing up outside .... don't let them take you alive!
:=:= Now now you can't say that, you are associating the word 'black' with something sinister!
It would be ok though to say there is a 'white van' pulling up outside.
I think under the circumstances we should all write to Radio 1 and request that they also remove the word 'white' from Bing Crosby's 'White Christmas'
Apart from anything else this particular song by the Pogues is one of the best Christmas songs ever.:ugh: (i have now played it 6 times already today, singing all the words out loud. Think I will do it on the tube tonight!)

Big Tudor
18th Dec 2007, 15:21
The very one Mr Basil. You don't happen to know her whereabouts do you? ;)

Windy Militant
18th Dec 2007, 15:22
As we're on offensive lyrics can sombody tell whats the no no in here.And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock and roll
And the Sultans played Creole
Sultans of Swing -Dire Straits.

Is it Drunk? Is it Brown Baggies or platform soles? Maybe it's the D(amn) Word or perhaps that dangerous rabble rousing Rock and Roll or perhaps it's Creole.
Any one care to enlighten me as to why they never play this verse on the radio any more.:confused:

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 15:28
It would be ok though to say there is a 'white van' pulling up outside

Tigs 2 thank-you very much for that (not) there's about 20 white vans outside in the car park, I am now a gibbering wreck on the floor under my desk!
Though collegues are now fighting to see which one will take me away :\

Firestorm
18th Dec 2007, 16:38
Bunch of PC faggots. Too much time sitting around on their arses drinking Earl Grey (organic, and fair trade of course).

TBirdFrank
18th Dec 2007, 17:10
It makes 'em feel good no doubt in their ivory towers, and confirms our view of the BBC managing and producing classes as cowardly, unrepresentative, self aggrandising, overpaid hacks who probably couldn't do a full day's work if they tried!

I wonder if any of them will ever reply to a series of perfectly polite requests sent three months ago by me to no less than four addressees across the network, as well as by others, but with no response, or perhaps they are busy making important decisions like this.

We have to pay their licence fee - no choice - they don't seem to realise that they owe us a sight more than lip service.

Tolsti
18th Dec 2007, 17:25
All resolved... decision reversed according to the Beeb

Tigs2
18th Dec 2007, 18:36
bigbluecar
Thanks for the link....epic. I agree with one of the comments on youtube., perhaps as a silent protest we should all download New York Fairy Tale, and put the Pogues to Number 1 instead of bloody Leon from the X-Factor! who is almost assured the spot.

RIP Kirsty 18 Dec 2000. Cannot believe they picked today to ban you!

Ozzy
18th Dec 2007, 18:57
Thanks be to all that is holy, the Beeb reversed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7150693.stm)the decision they said would not be reversed...what a waste of time, bunch of idiots:mad::mad:

Ozzy

stickandrudderman
18th Dec 2007, 19:00
Discussion about this on 5 live this morning.
Some bloke rang in and was outraged by the stupidity of it and went on to explain that the song was called "Fairytales in New York" and therefore perhaps they would like to ban it for that, and further that the band were called "The Pogues" which is Gaelic for "something not repeatable on air".
He really shot them down with that and made me laugh!:)

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 19:26
For those that were concerned (OK non-of you) the men in, either the black car or white van, released me after a short time as they recieved an urgent message to investigate certain persons at a national radio station - who were in much greater need, apparently, of their services:}

Tigs2
18th Dec 2007, 19:30
West lakes
Now I am concerned. You mean that they both got you, the men in Black Cars AND White Vans?

I suggest your best bet is a move to Panama! They have some pretty good deals going right now, and you don't have to buy a canoe

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 19:36
Tigs 2
No I was just trying to be PC and not making a reference to either of the two colours stated earlier. I could have said a black & white car/van (or a white & black car/van) but that would be improbable as these describe some American police cars.

Glad about the canoe as I sold mine many years ago

Tigs2
18th Dec 2007, 19:43
AAAH
But notice how you first said a black & white car/van , therebye making use of the word Black first instead of white. The PC police are coming West lakes run run run!

The world has gone mad:ugh::ugh:

west lakes
18th Dec 2007, 19:46
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

helimutt
18th Dec 2007, 19:52
Ok, so theres a suspicious beige car outside. Should I be worried or only worry about Black, White, Yellow or Red ones?

The country has gone PC mad. Bunch of goddamn Feckwits!!

vaqueroaero
18th Dec 2007, 20:28
Is the cop at the start of the video a now reasonably famous actor? He was in that movie Wild Things and got to do the naughty with Denise Richards and the other girl. Matthew....??????? something.

I guess he can't be that famous because I can't remember his name.

reynoldsno1
18th Dec 2007, 20:40
this has 3 x as many faggots in it:

See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire

I presume it's a song about spiced meatballs in gravy....?

frostbite
18th Dec 2007, 20:54
Of course, it doesn't occur to the cretins that there will be dozens/hundreds of kids saying 'Daddy, what's a faggot and why are they making a fuss about it'?

Koshmar
18th Dec 2007, 22:01
It's like that idiot "comedian" Jim Davidson who was kicked off Hell's Kitchen for calling effeminate Z-list ex-BB "celeb" Brain Dowling "a shirtlifter". I mean, say wha'?

First of all this is rich for someone (Dowling) who plys his trade on his latent homosexuality and makes a big deal of it. Like, the music combo on Jonathan Ross is called "5 Poofs and a Piano" - but that's irony, right?

2 things really from this - some gays (specially celeb ones) need to stop getting so bloody precious about themselves, and Davidson needs to f**k off out of the public eye if he can't base his act away from homophobic and racist material. He's about as funny as drinking battery acid...

:cool:

corsair
19th Dec 2007, 11:38
The problem with the whole PC thing is not the obvious and stupid ones we all love to hate. But it's the self censorship we never see. The re-wording of something before it even hits the airwaves or bookshops. Or the quiet word in the ear from the editor or whoever.

People say the whole PC thing is exaggerated but think about it. Would Shane McGowan even use that word now days? Even Shane, might alter the word to maggot or something less 'offensive' to spare the sensibilities of people who worry that gay people might be offended by the word. The same thing happens were non Muslims avoid saying something that might offend Muslims. Often to the irritation of actual Muslims.

If you don't believe it, try and think of the last time you didn't say something or use a word in case it offended, even though you had used the word in the same context many times before.

We don't know that half of it, in truth.

IainB
19th Dec 2007, 11:50
I'm sure the failed singer in X factor is a former C4 cartoon character.

Welcome back Max Headroom!!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Dec 2007, 12:21
bigbluecar.
Surely the sign should only have been offensive Septic Side; or is that another idiot type noun that's been foisted on us.

In my Country, a faggot is either something you burn witches with

or

http://img.dooyoo.co.uk/GB_EN/175/food-drink/food/mr-brains-2-faggots-in-rich-sauce.jpg

Rather be Gardening
19th Dec 2007, 13:58
GBZ - you know, upsetting witches by casting aspersions as to their flammability is all going to end in tears. Keep an eye out for chronologically-enhanced humans of the female persuasion, possibly sporting warts, squints and black cats, wandering along behind you, muttering under their breath ....... be afraid, be very afraid!

Mariner9
19th Dec 2007, 14:09
Beeb spokesman has thus to say:

In the context of this song, I do not feel that there is any negative intent behind the use of the words, hence the reversal of the decision

What [email protected] Presumably the Beeb now consider "you scumbag you maggot you cheap lousy faggot" to be a compliment said with positive intent :rolleyes: :ugh:

Ozzy
19th Dec 2007, 14:26
Tatchell is still pissed off though...:rolleyes:

Ozzy

Mariner9
19th Dec 2007, 14:34
So something good did come out of it then :D