PDA

View Full Version : plane goes off runway, rhode island

sevenstrokeroll
17th Dec 2007, 18:49
read and wonder about a go around:

passenger Richard Clark recounted to NBC 10’s Nicole Muri, what happened as the flight approached T.F. Green.

"I'm waiting for us to break out of the clouds, we are coming closer, closer, we ought to be doing it soon. When we break out of the clouds, we are low, very low," says Clark.

Clark, an air force veteran, estimates the aircraft is only a few hundred feet from the runway as it clears the clouds, but the plane is off to the right. Then the pilot quickly banks left, he says.

"To realign us to the runway, very quickly he straightens up and almost immediately we hit the runway very hard."

"He started to drift to the left and we came to a halt." Clark said the flight attendant immediately checked on passengers to make sure everyone was OK. A decision was made to keep everyone on the plane until a bus could transport them back to the airport terminal.

sevenstrokeroll
17th Dec 2007, 18:51
the plane was a CRJ200, 50 seater operated by air wisconsin for usairways express

discostu
17th Dec 2007, 19:38
http://www.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?S=7505254&nav=menu20_3_2_5

Two_Kids
17th Dec 2007, 19:39
Anyone know what approach was in use?

DingerX
17th Dec 2007, 20:40
apparently not a missed one. :}

we'll see. Still no real news on this one.

robbreid
18th Dec 2007, 15:06
http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35273&Itemid=174

captjns
18th Dec 2007, 15:44
Initial report from the NTSB

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20071217X01939&key=1

sevenstrokeroll
18th Dec 2007, 17:57
I post the above report below to save a click:

I'll post my views soon FWIW.

NTSB Identification: DCA08FA018
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of AIR WISCONSIN AIRLINES CORPORATION
Accident occurred Sunday, December 16, 2007 in Providence, RI
Aircraft: Bombardier CL600-2B19, registration: N470ZW
Injuries: 34 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On December 16, 2007, at 1648 eastern standard time, a Bombardier CRJ-200 (CL600-2B19), registration N470ZW, operated by Air Wisconsin as flight 758A, departed the runway after a hard landing at the Theodore Francis Greene State Airport, Providence, RI. The flight was a regularly scheduled passenger flight which departed Philadelphia at 1600 EST. The 3 crew members and 31 passengers were not injured, and exited the airplane via the normal airstair door. Initial information indicates that the airplane touched down hard at approximately 1000-1200 feet from the threshold of runway 5. The airplane porpoised after touchdown and exited the left side of the runway. Fiberglass parts consistent with the main gear door were found nearby broken runway edge lights about 2500 feet from the threshold. At approximately 3000 feet from the threshold the left main gear entered the snow and grass area, and by 3200 feet, both main gear had exited the runway. The airplane came to a stop on a magnetic heading of approximately 320 degrees at about 3700 feet from the threshold. Runway 5 is 7,166 feet long by 150 feet wide, and is a CAT II instrument runway.

The left main gear collapsed, the drag brace or trunnion was seen fractured, and the wheel punctured the flap and left upper wing skin. Wing tip damage was also observed. There was no fuel spill.

Weather conditions were reported as wind 050 at 3 knots, overcast 300 feet, visibility 1 ½ miles in light rain and mist, temperature 3, dewpoint 2, barometric pressure 29.87 and pressure falling rapidly. Approximately 4 minutes prior to the accident, an arriving B737 reported braking action good. A NOTAM was in effect stating runway 5/23 had ½ inch of wet snow over patchy snow and ice.

Skydrol Leak
18th Dec 2007, 20:15
sevenstrokeroll

could you make this thread readable for all of us using the right sentences and verbes, thanks..cause I am not sure what I am reading...

Fokker28
18th Dec 2007, 21:26
Skydrol Leak wrote: sevenstrokeroll

could you make this thread readable for all of us using the right sentences and verbes, thanks..cause I am not sure what I am reading..

Skydrol Leak, could you advise us on the definition of a 'right sentence,' as well as a 'verbe'. Thank you.

wadefac
18th Dec 2007, 21:30
fac..........

more ground school

:ugh:

regards wadefac

sevenstrokeroll
18th Dec 2007, 22:39
skydrol:

Rather than get into a lengthy discussion of writing styles, I've removed my post.

Pilots speaking and writing in cryptic shorthand styles is quite normal in my part of the world.

hushkit77
19th Dec 2007, 09:40
That will explain the unusual flight out of Belfast City the other day. I heard a large biz jet getting clearence to Providence. I was looking up exactly where that was and realised it was in RI. The fact the accident was a CRJ, I can only assume it was in getting parts from Shorts!